Aya Nakamura's tweet goes viral | Olympic Games' racism controversy in France

Mokichi

outside-paris-fashion-week-womenswear-fa

French main pop girl Aya Nakamura has been trending for several days on French Twitter since she was announced as the opener act for the next Olympic Games in Paris.

Many old white men are dragging her on national tv because they are upset that she is representing France (source). The French President Emmanuel Macron said he wants her to sing a cover of Edith Piaff. This caused a huge controversy all overs news where "journalists" are debating on how Aya Nakamura should not represent the France.

This controversy highlights the blant racism and sexism of French media against Aya. Despite dominating French charts, she keeps being demonized by French media because she is a strong black woman succeeding in a mysoginist music industry. The fact that she is always speak her mind in interviews and shows raw honesty bothers a lot of people.

Because she uses a lot of slangs in her music, they say literally "no one understand her songs, it's not even French", that she is talentless and can't sing while comparing her to Edith Piaf (which makes no sense). 

What is your opinion on this controversy? Are you surprised that the most famous French act WW is hated in her home country?

VOGUE FRANCE decided to shows some support by posting this article yesterday  https://t.co/W5vChO1j1N (transtaled title: THE REASON WHY WE WANT AYA NAKAMURA AT OLYMPIC GAMES).

Stream her last single Hypé, the remix with Ayra Starr is out tomorrow! 

Edited by Mokichi
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mokichi

• Squall

• Raiden

• Yudelkis

Sport Fuck Them GIF by UFC

• Like 4

Aya Nakamura is such a talented artist, a hit maker, and the face of a new generation of young french people challenging the racial norms. 

People here can be awful to her, criticizing her lyrics as if her aim was not to make the french language musical, which is very hard to do ! That is something Edith Piaf did not achieve while she had the chance when she was alive. 

I'm so proud of her, and Hypé is, again, an irresistible bop !

• Like 4
  • Confused 10
  • Thumbs Down 1

Piaf wishes she had a Djadja or a Pookie in her catalogue :redface:

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

What's their reasoning they're against her covering Edith Piaf? Do they just blatantly say "because she's black"? How do they mask the obvious racism?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phèdre said:

as if her aim was not to make the french language musical, which is very hard to do ! That is something Edith Piaf did not achieve

Elaborate 

4 minutes ago, Phèdre said:

make the french language musical, which is very hard to do

girl what:rip:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Sometimes I can't wait for the older generation to disappear

the amount of bad apples there are ..

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

What's their reasoning they're against her covering Edith Piaf? Do they just blatantly say "because she's black"? How do they mask the obvious racism?

They are mocking her saying she will destroy Edith Piaf song.

Here's an example below at 0:34, the guy plays Djadja then after the blank he said "Sorry I was trying to understand what she is saying" then he continued by saying "if you didn't had Aya Nakamura class in school, you cannot undestand what she sings, then he asked the other journalist if they understood, they said no too. Then he start to sing a song of Edith Piaf by adding some random lyrics of Djadja and Pookie, which is awkward af, you can see feel the uneasiness in that video yikes :biblio:

This video is just one example, there are many videos from other French shows that can be found on French Twitter, it's a mess!

Edited by Mokichi
  • Like 1

Is anyone surprised? 

• Like 3

France being racist is as sure as the damn sky is blue  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

They’ve been harassing her since day 1 so this isn’t surprising sadly.

*pretends to be shocked* oh France...

The French? Racist? :eli:

14 minutes ago, =NEX= said:

Elaborate 

English or Italian are often perceived as better language musically. We don't have in our language a lot of "open vowels". In this article, Bernard Cerquiglini, a linguist, has studied the musicality of french language. He says that french language is quite monotonous, with a very predictive rhythm. 

I think the "French chanson" drew a particular attention at the meaning of the lyrics, and this legacy is still very important I think in France. That's why a lot of people are mocking her lyrics and her use of slang. But I think Aya wants to make her words bounce. 

I was uselessly shady to Madame Piaf, that I quite like, but I just wanted to underline that it is just TWO very different practices of making music.

Edited by Phèdre
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Not surprising but they are setting her up with doing an Edith Paith song when she should be performing Djadja which is her most ICONIC and global smash :clap3:

Ppl wanting indila :thing: who retired :thing: 

probably Tate brother supporters :thing:

• Confused 1

I also think she's an unusual choice, just because her singing style is almost completely different than Piaf's. But that doesn't mean one style is better than the other (refusing to acknowledge that other art cultures have value is still racism) . We've heard thousands of covers of La Vie En Rose or Non with the clear diction style of Piaf, I'm looking forward to hear what she can bring to the table that is new. I think that's what at least any sane person would think.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Phèdre said:

as if her aim was not to make the french language musical, which is very hard to do !

I'll just assume this is a translation error because girl :rip: don't insult la musique française comme ça! Everything sounds better in French.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

Just a tip: when you're arguing against xenophobia and promoting inclusivity, claiming stupid sh*t like French not being a "musical language", or that Edith Piaf somehow failed at making the French language work in music is just as bad as any French person rejecting Aya :deadbanana4:

I'm so sick of everyone responding to racism and discord with the same weird energy. Be smart with your words.

Come on, it was a childish shade, but you are right, I won't do it again.

About the musicality of the french language, I've read the interview of this scholar. I'm french, I love this language, and it is not a way for me to criticize it lol

Edited by Phèdre

11 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

Just a tip: when you're arguing against xenophobia and promoting inclusivity, claiming stupid sh*t like French not being a "musical language", or that Edith Piaf somehow failed at making the French language work in music is just as bad as any French person rejecting Aya :deadbanana4:

I'm so sick of everyone responding to racism and discord with the same weird energy. Be smart with your words.

Get her Jade! 

cuca-sassy1.thumb.gif.44a00c5553918ecbbd

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Phèdre said:

He says that french language is quite monotonous, with a very predictive rhythm. 

Isn't this great for popular music tho since it's built on familiarity? Of course I won't argue with a scholar and I'm biased, but no tea no shade, Italian doesn't sound that great to me in pop music:spin: Spanish and French absolutely stomp on it

one of the most racist countries in the world being racist? :eek:

Her music is awful, which is what most people say, but ofc OP is going to lie about it. Are there people being racist towards her? YES but the majority of the criticism has nothing to do with it. :rip: 

Edited by Squall
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.