France the 1st country to explicitly enshrine (not infer) abortion in constitution

Espresso

:clap3: 

Take notes, United Shits of America

• Like 2

Kalos keeps delivering :clap3:

There are still many critiques to be had about this, especially with the modifications Macron and Bergé made to the law:

• They changed the word "access" to "right", meaning that the government doesn't have to make abortion 'accessible', but only 'legal'. This still means that governments can make it as difficult as possible to access an abortion, as long as it's legal.
  • They also added "for women", in order to exclude trans men and GNCs from having this right.

If the wording stayed as it was originally, the government may have been obliged to take action to provide all the required healthcare, make it free, and so on. 

But it's good for the headlines I guess! And still, some progress.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:58 AM, Kitty Kat said:

There are still many critiques to be had about this, especially with the modifications Macron and Bergé made to the law:

• They changed the word "access" to "right", meaning that the government doesn't have to make abortion 'accessible', but only 'legal'. This still means that governments can make it as difficult as possible to access an abortion, as long as it's legal.
  • They also added "for women", in order to exclude trans men and GNCs from having this right.

If the wording stayed as it was originally, the government may have been obliged to take action to provide all the required healthcare, make it free, and so on. 

But it's good for the headlines I guess! And still, some progress.

All of this is true and thank you for noting it. I’ll include the 14 weeks notice in the OP. :coffee2: 

Proud of my country for this and genuinely shocked we're the first ones. It should be like that pretty much everywhere.

Finally something positive that can be said about that country. :clap3:

2 minutes ago, dawnettakins said:

Finally something positive that can be said about that country. :clap3:

Absolutely not but ok :rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.