Would you ever volunteer to fight in a war?

Gelato

In 2022, Conor Kennedy, grandson of Robert F Kennedy and son of Robert F Kennedy Jr, revealed he enlisted with the Ukrainian International Legion despite having no previous military experience. 

In an Instagram post, the musician wrote that he "liked being a soldier, more than [he] had expected. It is scary. But life is simple, and the rewards for finding courage and doing good are substantial."

Would you follow in his footsteps for a cause you believed in? Pray tell, ATRL.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjsK25bO3Gf/

Hell no gtfo with that mess

• Like 3

Why would I do that?  :biblio:  I'm not stupid.

Is it bad if I said no? I would love joining the army for training, but I would NEVER want to go out and actually fight in a war. I saw a Ukrainian tiktoker getting a lot of hate for it for fleeing to Canada instead of staying to fight in Ukraine. :frown: :deadbanana4:

I don’t even think I would be allowed to but the answer will always be no!

Why would I fight for a country that doesn't value me as a person because I'm gay? :matty:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you got your thread making privileges back and are putting them to good use :ryan3:

No, I don't think I'd volunteer. If I was conscripted then I might follow through with it, but I'd never do it of my own volition. 

• Like 1

This is a very different conversation depending on who you’re asking geographically that you’d need to be more specific on beyond the Kennedy reference.

Speaking for myself in the U.S., I already have a plan set in place if there's another draft that my family and friends abroad agreed to years ago.

Assuming you’re referring to the battlefield and not something behind the scenes, the answer’s no.

Unpacking the U.S. need for cultural appreciation of our armed forces, particularly when my memory of that is the jingoistic early 2000’s freedom fries era, is complicated.

We don’t do anything still of substance for our homeless vets so clearly our government still doesn’t give a damn and it's all for show - Although the gross military recruitment on steroids during pro-sports events seems to have dialed down slightly since Bush lost favor with most of the right with Trump’s rise to power.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No, never

Better live as a "coward" than die on the frontline

20 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Me, @Gorjesspazze9, @Odette Violet@QueenyonceeIf the other side hated Girls' Generation

jYSL7UJ.png

edit: i just saw this thread was in civics i thought it was lounge sflkgdfkl dont warn me

On The Front Lines🔫And I’m so Serious 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

no because it goes against my principles, but i would happily volunteer in a hospital or something like that to support the efforts if i believed it was a just war (i.e. my country got invaded and fights back)

They wouldn't want me in the military :giraffe:

I’m a US Army Veteran, but thankfully I wasn’t deployed overseas 

Nope. Patriotism is for losers and I don't care about the country I live in. 

• Like 2

Wouldn’t even do it in a conscription much less. I’ll happily go to jail for desertion. 

Edited by DAP

I would only go to war for Charli XCX

Absolutely not. I’m not fighting a war for a country in which almost half the population thinks I shouldn’t exist because I’m gay. Unappreciative little f*cks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.