Alabama Supreme Court has ruled that frozen, unimplanted embryos are children

Horizon Flame

Expecting the worse in the future after roe vs wade repeal

• Like 1

Watch people get tax credits for having frozen embryos

• Like 1

if a bunch of cells are children, then all men who jerk off there should be charged with murder

• Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Revolution said:

if a bunch of cells are children, then all men who jerk off there should be charged with murder

Let's not have logic now, that's too much, come on. 

• Haha 2

so would it be illegal to stop paying for the storage/frozen embryos if you no longer wanted them or 

• Like 1

So ******* stupid. Embryos are not conscious, are not fully formed and are not living breathing people. If an embryo is a person wouldn’t it be cruel and inhumane to keep them frozen? Should the owners/parents be able to claim them for tax reporting? If one dies while frozen, is the hospital held liable for malpractice/manslaughter?

Literal worms for brains

Genuinely don't get how in general liberals don't view this kind of extreme Christian nationalism as such an existential threat that requires more than just empty sloganeering and electoralism 

The rhetoric is that conservatives are forming a fascist movement but also all that is required is voting- not even legislative to executive action by those in government. 

You can't have a two party system, claim one party is literally fascist, and then fearmonger that one party systems are authoritarian. 

A good Democratic president would explore all legal avenues to strip these psychoes of their positions of power within the judiciary, work every solution to curtail the rights of red states, and strip right-wing politicians if their titles and rights for promoting fascist views. Do something!

• Like 2

Then pregnant women need to do everything to drive in how stupid this is. Pregnant women? In the speed lane since an embryo is apparently a "child", and so multiple people are in the car. Can't be fined for that.

Claim an embyro on their taxes as a dependent. And tell their friends to do it too.

Drive it in how stupid it is to the state and make them suffer for it. Get paid for them being ******* stupid.

Edited by LustSpell
  • Like 1

"The case involves couples whose embryos were destroyed when a patient removed them from the freezer and accidentally dropped them. The court held that the patient could be held liable in a wrongful death lawsuit"

Without context, this sounds like satire :rip:

Why is America of all countries one of the world's superpowers? It's so tiring

• Like 1

Now that they mention it, they do look like they are a few days away from going to school. :celestial5:

• Haha 1

Love the new Black Mirror episode

so if I drop a fertilized chicken egg when I'm making an omelet, I'm a chicken killer?

• Like 1

“Preborn children” is such a laughable concept. I discard preborn children every day, multiple times a day.

• Haha 6

If it were just about allowing women to sue the fertility lab for destroying their embryos, I would understand it. It’s a devastating thing for a couple to going through the traumatic IVF process only to have their chance at starting a family ruined.

BUT - this is so obviously about setting a legal precedent that will pave the way for SCOTUS to take away even more reproductive rights.

• Like 1

Um what?

Selena Gomez:i'm deleting my instagram - Page 8 - Celebria - ATRL

Did these judges pass 8th grade biology class?:rip:

This is a repeat from the other threads but the Alabama judge behind this IVF case is literally a QAnon-adjacent Christian nationalist that believes in the seven mountains mandate to turn the United States into a theocracy.

9 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

If it were just about allowing women to sue the fertility lab for destroying their embryos, I would understand it. It’s a devastating thing for a couple to going through the traumatic IVF process only to have their chance at starting a family ruined.

BUT - this is so obviously about setting a legal precedent that will pave the way for SCOTUS to take away even more reproductive rights.

Actually it was about couples filing suit for wrongful death by negligence. These are couples who had successful IVF and the embryos were stored to have more children in the future. So they are suing for the pain and suffering of knowing they had lost their future children. I'm sure the medical centers insurance company just wanted to pay out for  a few thousand to cover the IVF process. Nothing for the pain and suffering and emotional damage of losing what in their minds were sure future children. The wrongful death suit was the only way to force anything near an adequate and fair compensation.

I guess someone saw some polling on this, somehow.

9 minutes ago, Espresso said:

I guess someone saw some polling on this, somehow.

The best strategy would be to push laws governing IVF clinics. The original case behind the ruling was brought because of negligence on the part of the IVF clinic. I find it appalling that the clinic did not store the frozen embryos in a properly secured area, a locked freezer would have avoided this . And even more appalling the medical center treated it as just a loss of property issue, though that may have been their insurance company's position.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.