harvard university: "drinking soda is linked to violent behavior"

Asscatchem

yall still drinkin soda?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. yall still drinkin soda?

• yes
    • no

nd12_09_image_01_900.jpg?itok=LepgQRV0 1200px-Shield_of_Harvard_College.svg.png

Analyzing the survey, he found surprising correlations. Heavy consumers of nondiet soft drinks—students who had drunk five or more cans in the week preceding the survey—were more likely to have behaved violently toward peers (57 percent, versus 39 percent of respondents who drank less soda); to have behaved violently toward another child in their own families (42 percent, versus 27 percent); to have behaved violently in a dating relationship (26 percent, versus 16 percent); and to have carried a gun or a knife during the past year (40 percent, versus 27 percent). The strength of the effect was on par with the correlation (well known among researchers) between these behaviors and alcohol and tobacco use; in some cases, the correlation with soda was stronger.

Other studies have linked soda consumption with depression and suicidal behavior, but Hemenway is not aware of anyone else studying the correlation with violent behavior. One further avenue for research is elucidating the underlying mechanism. It could be that a third variable, such as the quality of parenting, influences both soda consumption and aggressive behavior. (The researchers attempted to control for socioeconomic status and the quality of parenting; when they did, the correlation remained strong.) If there is a cause-effect relationship, the researchers speculate that excess caffeine and sugar (along with the subsequent blood-sugar crash) may leave soda drinkers irritable and prone to aggression; or maybe those who drink soda in place of healthier food miss out on nutrients that promote a calmer demeanor.

One public-policy implication is apparent already: colleges may want to think twice about promoting soft drinks as a safe alternative to alcohol. Although soda doesn’t share alcohol’s acute, motor-skill-impairing effect, it may have emotional effects that build over time—meaning it may be safer just to stick with water.

https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2012/10/soda-and-violence

T7JJJtpnvzJnGVzE.jpg

Edited by Asscatchem

didn't drink soda since i was like 12 :rip: absolutely useless drink. only drink water, green tea or coffee 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will occasionally drink soda but i never finish it all because I feel gross drinking it. It also makes my teeth ache lol. I was never a big soda drinker from jump.

• Like 1

I drink zero sugar sodas a lot because I’m not a pick me girl who think he’s  better than everyone because he drinks only water green tea or coffee

• Haha 5

it’s kinda curious that the most aggressive person I’ve ever known didn’t go one day without drinking soda :rip:

• Like 2

I'm a pick me girl and i'm better than you because I only drink water, green tea, or coffee 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

i only drink pure water infused with Mediterranean and himalayan, heavy metal free electrolytes 

but to each their own I guess  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

High schoolers that drink too much caffeine and sugar act up? Shocker. 

also it’s getting weird

Edited by Danny789

3 minutes ago, Danny789 said:

High schoolers that drink too much caffeine and sugar act up? Shocker. 

also it’s getting weird

im just giving fellow atrlers a heads up :chick2: :

39 minutes ago, Asscatchem said:

to have behaved violently in a dating relationship (26 percent, versus 16 percent);

this university is really in the shambles huh

According to the University of A.T.R.L., owning an android is linked to violent behaviour 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to have a thing for sodas until about 12 and then I switched to sparkling water and my skin has thanked me.

Lately I've been really into these prebiotic fiber sodas that are like $2 a can but made with real plant extracts. Way better than your average pop.

• Like 1

I only drink vegan water.

I only drink water, soda is for losers.

jk.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:07 PM, Danny789 said:

also it’s getting weird

Gasps >.> not her going from Android phones to soda now.

Soda is basically an instant reward rush to your brain and endocrine system, so on its face it's not that surprising that people who like the immediate reward of soda are more inclined towards violent behaviors that your brain favors in the heat of the moment without thinking of the long-term consequences

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.