Master's Degree - is it even worth it?

Kern

I don't know what to do

I work since I finished my BA but I don't want to work here my whole life. I wanted to study part-time and get MA (Visual Communication), It's the only course that might interest me even tho some people told me that I won't learn much there. Studying part-time for MA just seems like a total waste of money and time. It's on the weekends and it's mostly remote so I don't think I'll even make any connections there. But on the other hand, I kinda don't know what else to do to not end up at my job forever! I'm wondering if people here regret getting their Master's or think it's better to have one and sacrifice those 2 years. Or should I keep that money to myself and find another way for a better job

Edited by stupidjock
  • Like 1

No get plastic surgery instead will make you more money and friends

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LittleStarmen said:

No get plastic surgery instead will make you more money and friends

this seems counter intuitive because plastic surgery cost money. But I'll try

• Haha 1

it depends on ur field of concentration. i have an MBA but my main benefit came from certificates, experience, and making connections. 

• Like 3

it depends

just don't fall into the trap of being 1 of those people who stay in education for years longer than necessary purely down to the fact they dont know what else to do

• Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

I honestly don't know at this point what to answer. I finished my Master's in August, in a STEM field. For my personal development, I would definitely say yes. It helped me a lot with my way of thinking and being able to approach a new project with new perspectives. However, I am still struggling in finding a job at the moment as I am either overqualified or underqualified for many positions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, May said:

just don't fall into the trap of being 1 of those people who stay in education for years longer than necessary purely down to the fact they dont know what else to do

I almost fell into it by going to art school because I always wanted to but I realized it makes literally no sense, it's just too late for that

5 minutes ago, May said:

it depends

3 minutes ago, Legend E said:

I honestly don't know at this point what to answer. I finished my Master's in August, in a STEM field. For my personal development, I would definitely say yes. It helped me a lot with my way of thinking and being able to approach a new project with new perspectives. However, I am still struggling in finding a job at the moment as I am either overqualified or underqualified for many positions.

Here vast majority of people are doing their Master's 'just in case' and just to kinda get over it 

• Like 1

Pursuing a higher level of education is always worth it, in my opinion. However, I’d agree with your peers and say that a MA in Visual Communication probably won’t be beneficial for you in the long run. :chick3: Surely you have other interests? You can choose any field you’d like for grad school, as long as you’re admitted ofc!

Edited by wxvii

as im doing it now i do kinda regret the choice a little. i did persuit it because of fear i would regret not doing it later on and im still young. i have ran out of a lot of money studying an additional two years because all the job offers i got after finishing my bachelors sadly didnt want me… as i couldnt work full time due to this masters. 

What's your BA in? Get yourself a partner with a degree in programming and create a real life version of the app from Sexify 

Edited by Pendulum

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, stupidjock said:

I almost fell into it by going to art school because I always wanted to but I realized it makes literally no sense, it's just too late for that

Here vast majority of people are doing their Master's 'just in case' and just to kinda get over it 

I wanted to do mine because my Bachelor's education was quite on a lower level (because of a flop judgment during my youth, as I could have gone to a better university, but whatever) and I would have never been satisfied with only achieving that. What I think might help is looking up what jobs in your field require a Master's degree and seeing if that's something that would fit your desires/interests. But also be prepared for 1 or 2 extremely stressful years.

Unless you’re in academic/science field I would say no.

I don’t think it is. I went to a minimum wage temporary job opening in London for a quick role to earn some cash before I go travelling. There was a girl in there who had a masters in bio medicine :rip:

Thank *** I didn’t waste more money on a masters 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wxvii said:

However, I’d agree with your peers and say that a MA in Visual Communication probably won’t be beneficial for you in the long run. :chick3: Surely you have other interests? You can choose any field you’d like for grad school, as long as you’re admitted ofc!

this is kinda the only thing I can do for MA. The other one is journalism and that's all available for me

IMG_3999.thumb.gif.bbecf7821e956469da03f

my interests include working out, drawing/illustrations and games :coffee: 

i agree tho that a masters degree should be worth the effort and additional money you invest into the degree. doing a MBA, or MSc in a scientific, technological or engineering field would be worth is as employers generally look for skilled personnel in these fields.

And it would be very much useful to get a masters degree when you did medicine or law in your bachelors. those bachelors are completely useless without a masters degree

5 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

What's your BA in? Get yourself a partner with a degree in programming and create a real life version of the app from Sexify 

Digital and Network Publishing. I gotta be honest, I might as well study nothing becasue I haven't learned anything:rip:

• Haha 2

My biggest problem and the reason why I'm considering studying so hard it's because I'm 25 and kinda have no idea what else to do

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

My biggest problem and the reason why I'm considering studying so hard it's because I'm 25 and kinda have no idea what else to do

25 is still young. if u want a safety net, you should see if you can be enrolled in a MBA of sorts cause this gives you many job prospects 

6 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

That was pretty much the reason why I got my masters lmao. I mean, if you can find a job you might like, then go ahead and ditch studies. I'm currently doing an internship where I just needed my BA and it's something I can see myself doing in the long run, so if I found this sooner there would be no point in spending another two years at university 

19 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

Same b I’m 26 and it seems like there’s really nothing to do apart from slave away for pennies for some corporation 

But I can assure you, that will still get you further than a masters. Education is a business first and foremost 

The best way to get prospects I’ve found is through marketing yourself and creating a network on LinkedIn as bleh as that sounds 

What did you you your BA in? Like what kind of industry are you in 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, it's down to how much it'll benefit you in the long-term. My MSc allows me to access senior positions in my place of work, and thus in the future it'll help me progress my career. If it's something that'll expanding your knowledge/allow you access to posts you might not be able to otherwise then it'll be worth it - if you get zero gains from it then it's not. It's all about what it can do for you honestly. 

Honestly No

Connections and networking are more important 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

Digital and Network Publishing. I gotta be honest, I might as well study nothing becasue I haven't learned anything:rip:

if it's something that genuinely interests you then go for it. if not, you might better off trying to find a career that doesn't require a masters degree

A part time Masters Degree taken remotely in a field that doesn’t fulfill a hard requisite for a job (like a nursing degree would for example) will most likely be a waste of time and money and you’ll just be miserable working and studying in the evenings and weekends. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.