Seasonal or Light Depression: Exercise more effective than meds

shyboi

Nah it’s pretty true I see it all the time in my field at work in nursing. People just don’t want accept it. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• Kern

• ChapelHooker

• G.U.Y. Gaga

19 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

then ******* SAY THAT omg, you literally called them "poisons". two different points, and one is incredibly disrespectful to people who rely on antidepressants to keep them alive. 

because that's what they are, and I didn't meant to be offensive. Those meds can be helpful when nothing else works, but inevitably they will end up harming your body in the long run. I say this as I'm currently tapering off SSRI's and benzos after 5 years on them.

Thank you so much :hug:

4 hours ago, Cheers said:

A lot of people aren't going to want to hear that

Yeah it’s a meta review of randomized control trials. Pretty much THE scientific gold standard for assessing health care interventions. Obviously everyone is different but on average the findings from the OP are definitely going to be true and accurate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

Cannot stress this enough, please go for walks/bike rides/jogs outside with the sun hitting you!!!! Hikes/trail runs/bike rides in nature parks are even better. Surround yourself with some nature at least a few times a month (once a week at minimum)!!! 

This is literally so true. Even just going for a walk for 15 minutes in the daylight each day makes such a difference

A lot of people with mild depression tend to dominate the discourse and it’s annoying. For those with mod to severe issues this isn’t really true

• Like 1

Didn't work for me, still depressed ***** but at least with hot body 

On 2/17/2024 at 11:56 AM, Happylittlepunk said:

Nah it’s pretty true I see it all the time in my field at work in nursing. People just don’t want accept it. 

As someone in the medical field you should know better that there are different types of depression and the public discourse around it is almost exclusively about seasonal/"temporary" depression rather than clinical depression. You cannot out exercise clinical depression or other conditions that make depression more likely.

None are saying it doesn't help. But acting like it makes it go away is just silly. 

being extremely hot and wanted cured my depression tendencies completely now all i need is XCX6 & LG7

if something happened to me and i couldn't exercise anymore tho......

On 2/17/2024 at 4:04 PM, Dephira said:

Yeah it’s a meta review of randomized control trials. Pretty much THE scientific gold standard for assessing health care interventions. Obviously everyone is different but on average the findings from the OP are definitely going to be true and accurate. 

You can't talk about the findings being accurate when it literally doesn't even say what type of specific medications were tested let alone the most important factor: what type of depression people have.

You are not out exercising clinical depression which is biological and there is no cure. None are saying working out has no benefits, but for people who have serious diagnoses of depression and not just seasonal depression (which is what most of the general public is familiar with) medication is what is more likely to work to even motivate them to exercise in the first place. 

Despite going by the same name, seasonal depression is a mood disorder and clinical depression is a mental health disorder. Two severely different types of intensities and seriousness involved in it and for you to imply people who take medication are doing it because they're lazy is lame and ironically illogical of you.

Also, something being put into an infograph does not make it objectively true. You guys are very gullible and don't do basic thinking before harping on these stupid points. 

10 minutes ago, dinorhino said:

You can't talk about the findings being accurate when it literally doesn't even say what type of specific medications were tested let alone the most important factor: what type of depression people have.

You are not out exercising clinical depression which is biological and there is no cure. None are saying working out has no benefits, but for people who have serious diagnoses of depression and not just seasonal depression (which is what most of the general public is familiar with) medication is what is more likely to work to even motivate them to exercise in the first place. 

Despite going by the same name, seasonal depression is a mood disorder and clinical depression is a mental health disorder. Two severely different types of intensities and seriousness involved in it and for you to imply people who take medication are doing it because they're lazy is lame and ironically illogical of you.

Also, something being put into an infograph does not make it objectively true. You guys are very gullible and don't do basic thinking before harping on these stupid points. 

someone posted the full article I think, this is only the "visual abstract" 

anyways, can a mod close this thread? ASAP.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, shyboi said:

someone posted the full article I think, this is only the "visual abstract" 

anyways, can a mod close this thread? ASAP.

I checked it. The eligibility for the participants includes self-report instead of purely diagnosis which self reporting is known to be incredibly inaccurate. The study itself also says exercise in conjunction with therapy and medication are treatments, not simply exercise in isolation.

I just think it's signage of just terrible thought process and a nasty personality for some people here to imply that some people with depression are just lazy and don't want to exercise and comparing them to celebrities who are using Ozempic to lose weight. If you don't have the energy and motivation to do things as simple as wanting to get out of bed, brushing your teeth, or being able to be attentive and take care of your family (or yourself), why would you prioritise exercise first when you can't even do basic things in your life first? Lol 

11 minutes ago, dinorhino said:

I checked it. The eligibility for the participants includes self-report instead of purely diagnosis which self reporting is known to be incredibly inaccurate. The study itself also says exercise in conjunction with therapy and medication are treatments, not simply exercise in isolation.

I just think it's signage of just terrible thought process and a nasty personality for some people here to imply that some people with depression are just lazy and don't want to exercise and comparing them to celebrities who are using Ozempic to lose weight. If you don't have the energy and motivation to do things as simple as wanting to get out of bed, brushing your teeth, or being able to be attentive and take care of your family (or yourself), why would you prioritise exercise first when you can't even do basic things in your life first? Lol 

I edited the title. 

not OP being attacked :rip: sometimes people actually are just lazy and struggle to take action, used to be me for example

4 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

not OP being attacked :rip: 

I'm begging for the mods to close this thread but I don't think there's someone home

2 minutes ago, shyboi said:

I'm begging for the mods to close this thread but I don't think there's someone home

You can always hide it or defend yourself, stand your ground. There is no reason to attack anyone over a thread :rip: calling someone nasty personality for posting a study

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shyboi said:

I edited the title. 

You didn't have to edit the title. You in particular aren't doing anything wrong, just some other people making crass comments and having bad takes. 

The study is basing it off of major depression (just another word for clinical depression) however as I said before the participants also included self-identified people with major depression as opposed to purely diagnosed ones. Truthfully it is a bit contradictory to allow people to self identity with major depression...it's something that needs to be professionally diagnosed, hence why it's also sometimes called clinical depression, so take it for what you will, but the study's intent was to rate the effects on major depression. 

10 hours ago, stupidjock said:

You can always hide it or defend yourself, stand your ground. There is no reason to attack anyone over a thread :rip: calling someone nasty personality for posting a study

Darling, I wasn't talking to OP when I said that lmfao. I made zero negative comments about them nor said they did anything wrong. I was referencing other people

Edited by dinorhino

On 2/17/2024 at 6:22 PM, CottageHore said:

Depression is primarily caused by low presence of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Neurons send the neurotransmitter serotonin to other neurons. But in some brains, the post-synaptic neurons (the ones receiving the serotonin from the other neurons) absorb the serotonin more slowly or the neuron releasing the serotonin does so at a slower rate than in other brains. There’s a process called reuptake where the serotonin sitting in the space between the two neurons (the synaptic cleft) gets sucked back up into the first neuron faster than it can be absorbed by the post-synaptic neuron. The way SSRIs (depression medication) work is they inhibit (slow down/block) the “reuptake” process so that serotonin remains in the synaptic cleft longer. Meaning the post-synaptic neuron has more time to absorb the serotonin at its own pace and the serotonin is more readily available to be absorbed when it’s already outside of the first neuron. 

This is literally what everyone is told by their psychiatrist but the truth is more complex than that. Monoamine theories of depression have existed for over 70 years, since the development of the first psychiatric drugs. There also exist drugs that block serotonin receptors and they don't cause depression as a side effect. I am not in any way medical professional but I have read a few books on the history of psychiatry and the consensus is that we still don't know if low serotonin hypothesis is true. What we do know is that all SSRI improve brain's plasticity and that is the current understanding of how they might relieve patient's symptoms. It was always a point of discussion how the serotonin levels are raised hours after drugs enter the bloodstream but the effects on mood are not seen until weeks to months after.

Read: The serotonin theory of depression: a systematic umbrella review of the evidence

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.