The U.K has officially entered recession

brraap

Hang it up flatscreen girlies! 

Prime minister Rishi Sunak vowed to generate economic growth, yet

The ONS estimates that UK GDP increased by a meagre 0.1% in 2023. That’s the worst performance since 2009 when the economy was still reeling from the global financial crisis, if 2020, which was affected by the pandemic, is excluded. Last year’s weak rise in output follows growth of 4.3% in 2022.

What went wrong? 

spacer.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brraap

• byzantium

• Happylittlepunk

• glitch

Officially determined today! Might I add 

6 minutes ago, brraap said:

Prime minister Rishi Sunak vowed to generate economic growth, yet

What went wrong? 

spacer.png

He wasn’t assassinated

spacer.png

• Haha 13

I just got a job offer in London.  I’ll make sure to file this one away.  

• Haha 5

The fact that the public have continually voted for economic harm for the past 14 years...

• Like 10

Watch Biden get the blame for that too. lol he gets blamed for all world problems when that dude cant even remember what he ate 30 mins ago. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Life just continues to get worse here

• Like 3

This feels tactical. It's been on a decline for well over a decade now, and the Gov has been diverting resources (and scams) to benefit the rich and castigate the poor, working classes and immigrants. It's disgusting. IN the end, these crisis are created to benefit the rich. Everytime there is a recession those who pay for it are the working classes and the middle classes. Those at the top continue to gain more money and privileges.

The chancellor himself said he would create a recession, the absolute pig. He should be offed like the rest of the Gov.

• Like 7

is the rest of the world heading to recession? It starting to feel like 2008

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

The us will be next that’s why Biden is so disparate too make his presidency look good economically so trump or RFK jr don’t have a chance to win even with all the wars and mass spending. 

UK is on their yes and? era 

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, DAP said:

He wasn’t assassinated

spacer.png

Evil tories never d*e

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

is the rest of the world heading to recession? It starting to feel like 2008

The US feels like it’s in a recession every year tbh

28 minutes ago, Sir Galahad said:

The fact that the public have continually voted for economic harm for the past 14 years...

The public didn’t have much choice. Tories refuse to call for a general election despite how much the public pleads (a law they changed so only the sitting prime minister can call for an election, before it was public call) 

The last real chance was not electing  Boris… which they failed at 

• Like 1

Y'all are just now calling it a recession? William's hairline has been receding for over a decade

12-hours-after-my-shift-12-hours-work-tired-gif-7278434726926352333.gif

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

Y'all are just now calling it a recession? William's hairline has been receding for over a decade

12-hours-after-my-shift-12-hours-work-tired-gif-7278434726926352333.gif

i-

spacer.png

ciTerOM.png

i would say the empty quote box is what went wrong here ("here" being the OP)

DBSaqca.gif

OT, im not from or in the UK so i dont know whats going on over there to give any kind of insight

They had a choice, the older voters (who tend to turn up at general elections) have historic fears of Labour managing the economy dating back long before the 2008 crash. Then you have those who think because they're home owners (partially thanks to Right to Buy), they're wealthy members of the middle class and voting Tory made them feel more secure in that. The belief that Labour somehow managed to crash the global markets didn't help, and Labour were stupid to not fight it - even now you have people holding onto the "No money left" note left by the treasury minister.

The public had many chances, they just voted based on misrepresentation, ignorance and upholding perceived notions of class.

57 minutes ago, wildsidenormani said:

Life just continues to get worse here

It applies for every part of the world sis, I see no hope for our and coming generations  :chick3:

• Thanks 2

The US economy is doing amazing in comparaison 

• Haha 2

honestly does feel quite weird building a career in London while the country feels like its falling apart in general

Dubai here eye come 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.