Beyoncé - "16 Carriages"

Hurem

4 minutes ago, Mystic Warrior said:

Didn’t mean to strike a nerve, but no thank you! 

Yes the nerve when ppl sound foolish and don’t make a lick sense 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• 99sandthe2000s

• Lovett

• Mystic Warrior

Just now, QueenBeyoncé said:

Yes the nerve when ppl sound foolish and don’t make a lick sense 

Right! Thank you for agreeing, Queen Beyoncé. You are God and all-seeing. 

1 hour ago, Mystic Warrior said:

I assume this was meant to be a response to me, and as I said, I do not doubt she worked hard and felt many real and valid emotions, but she is not only singing from her time in DC, she’s talking about the present and how overwhelmed she is from being so in demand and just wants to be with her kids.  Such a struggle for a billionaire, no doubt. 

Ok, that’s a fair point. Although I don’t think feeling overwhelmed by your dedication to your passion and struggling when you don’t see your kids have much to do with money. Money doesn’t matter that much and it doesn't stop people from feeling but that’s just my opinion. 

Edited by BnPac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BnPac said:

Ok, that’s a fair point. Although I don’t think feeling overwhelmed by your dedication to your passion and struggling when you don’t see your kids have much to do with money. Money doesn’t matter that much and it does stop people from feeling but that’s just my opinion. 

The thing is though, it does. If she really was struggling so hard and feeling so overwhelmed, she has the resources to walk away right now and never work a day in her life again nor want for anything, along with her family. I understand she is a dedicated performer and works hard as hell, but a lot of the song comes off like she didn’t and doesn’t have a choice and she does now more than ever. I appreciate you responding so eloquently and kindly as I really do not think ill of Beyoncé, some of her lyrical content just comes off inauthentic. I think Lemonade was the most candid we ever saw her and even that was partially fabricated. 

• Like 1

I was hoping for Daddy Lessons, Landslide, or Jesse Hold On type of Country but OK.

Hope the album is more interesting with the Country experience 

e71e9e2865fd4102a08ce2a0c1b170e5.gif

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mystic Warrior said:

I understand she is a dedicated performer and works hard as hell, but a lot of the song comes off like she didn’t and doesn’t have a choice and she does now more than ever.

The part about her life now is very small and she also doesn’t imply she has no choice, she implies she has no time because she wants to « make art » (overworked and overwhelmed) and « create love » and owes it to her ancestors because they (we in her case) as a community have something to prove. That’s my understanding at least. And although I see your point, that’s not really a choice imo, a person and most of all a woman should chose to work hard at her passion and craft and still have the right to say/laments that she misses her kids without anyone telling her she has the choice so she should pick one or shut up (a caricature lol) or to do be just a mother if she wants. It doesn’t have to be one or the other, it can be both. 

But I do agree that Lemonade is her best album. 

Edited by BnPac
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, spiritboy said:

Is there a special meaning the term 16 carriages? Does it represent something? I might have missed something as English is not my native language.

I don't know of significance of the number 16 here, but I believe the carriages (and sixteen are a lot) are referring to tour buses/trucks that she's travelling with on the road, likely across America... this sort of caravan in a modern sense...

also if you count the beats/pauses in the chorus, there are 16 (though actually 15 beats as she skips one where one should be, but the lyrics still have those 16 beats).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sad girl said:

this is the standout of the 2 songs, i love

it really is a masterpiece.

8 hours ago, spiritboy said:

Is there a special meaning the term 16 carriages? Does it represent something? I might have missed something as English is not my native language.

We're supposed to imagine a caravan of 16 horse-drawn carriages on a trail taking an entire village away from their farmland in a time of drought or land being stolen (picture the Dust Bowl, Black homesteaders, or The Great Depression), but in reality she's talking about a fleet of 16 tour busses taking her from city to city while the once-blossoming relationship between her parents dries up like the fields. Both scenarios force a young person to grow up fast and compartmentalize their lives, especially as an older sibling trying to protect their younger siblings.

Edit: the number 16 specifically is probably used for the age she made it big, signing to Columbia and releasing "No, No, No" with Destiny's Child.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

QueenofCopyPaste

This reminds me of her "I Am..." ballads :cries: thats why it hits so much

• Like 4

This song just hit me instantly and so beautifully. What a masterpiece :heart2: 

20 minutes ago, Mystic Warrior said:

The thing is though, it does. If she really was struggling so hard and feeling so overwhelmed, she has the resources to walk away right now and never work a day in her life again nor want for anything, along with her family. I understand she is a dedicated performer and works hard as hell, but a lot of the song comes off like she didn’t and doesn’t have a choice and she does now more than ever. I appreciate you responding so eloquently and kindly as I really do not think ill of Beyoncé, some of her lyrical content just comes off inauthentic. I think Lemonade was the most candid we ever saw her and even that was partially fabricated. 

You missed the point. Her motivation is right there in the lyrics...

For legacy, if it's the last thing I do
You'll remember me 'cause we got somethin' to prove
In your memory, on a highway to truth
Still see your faces when you close your eyes

People still try to discredit Beyonce's greatness after everything she has accomplished. She wants to set the bar so high that there is NO DEBATE over her greatness when it's all said and done. I actually think this quote is a direct shot at the recording academy for refusing to acknowledge her album of the year. Especially the last line "Still see your faces when you close your eyes" which I interpret as no matter how high Beyonce excels above her peers the voters will always choose a Harry Styles or a Taylor Swift because when those old white Grammy voters close their eyes they see themselves (or younger versions of themselves) reflected in their experiences in a way that they cannot do with Beyonce because her art is "too black" or doesn't pander enough to their tastes. 

2 minutes ago, Navyboy20 said:

You missed the point. Her motivation is right there in the lyrics...

For legacy, if it's the last thing I do
You'll remember me 'cause we got somethin' to prove
In your memory, on a highway to truth
Still see your faces when you close your eyes

People still try to discredit Beyonce's greatness after everything she has accomplished. She wants to set the bar so high that there is NO DEBATE over her greatness when it's all said and done. I actually think this quote is a direct shot at the recording academy for refusing to acknowledge her album of the year. Especially the last line "Still see your faces when you close your eyes" which I interpret as no matter how high Beyonce excels above her peers the voters will always choose a Harry Styles or a Taylor Swift because when those old white Grammy voters close their eyes they see themselves (or younger versions of themselves) reflected in their experiences in a way that they cannot do with Beyonce because her art is "too black" or doesn't pander enough to their tastes. 

I never once discredited her greatness or accomplishments. Literally the exact opposite. I apologize if you misinterpreted my intent. 

10 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

We're supposed to imagine a caravan of 16 horse-drawn carriages on a trail taking an entire village away from their farmland in a time of drought or land being stolen (picture the Dust Bowl, Black homesteaders, or The Great Depression), but in reality she's talking about a fleet of 16 tour busses taking her from city to city while the once-blossoming relationship between her parents dries up like the fields. Both scenarios force a young person to grow up fast and compartmentalize their lives, especially as an older sibling trying to protect their younger siblings.

This!

it's such a touching song, perhaps one of her most touching songs of her career... the image it paints of 15-year-old Beyoncé already on the grind since 8, witnessing her dreams about to take off in a caravan of tour buses while her family's sacrifices, her parents putting her dreams over her's is coming to a boil and resulting in a near-divorce (which will later happen) must be incredibly intense for a young teen to experience. There must be so much guilt in realizing that if it all fails, it's her fault, and even if they succeed but lose everything else (love, family unity, etc.) it'll have been sacrificed to fulfil HER dreams. That's a lot.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BnPac said:

The part about her life now is very small and she also doesn’t imply she has no choice, she implies she has no time because she wants to « make art » (overworked and overwhelmed) and « create love » and owes it to her ancestors because they (we in her case) as a community have something to prove. That’s my understanding at least. And although I see your point, that’s not really a choice imo, a person and most of all a woman should chose to work hard at her passion and craft and still have the right to say/laments that she misses her kids without anyone telling her she has the choice so she should pick one or shut up (a caricature lol) or to do be just a mother if she wants. It doesn’t have to be one or the other, it can be both. 

But I do agree that Lemonade is her best album. 

I think you can absolutely and should absolutely do both! I am not saying she should only do either or, I am just saying she is in a much better position than people who are legitimately struggling and have to still work because they do not have the same resources available. And yes, I do even mean when she was a 15 year old with a record deal with a major label. That is an incredible privilege and so impressive but it’s not exactly the sign of “struggle”. I am highly critical of billionaires as a whole so this is very much a personal bias but I don’t think it’s necessarily an unwarranted critique. Beyoncé is and will always be That Girl no matter how I feel about how she expresses it. 

Edited by Mystic Warrior

1 minute ago, Mystic Warrior said:

I am highly critical of billionaires as a whole

Haha, I sensed that lol. It's common on Atrl the most down votes I ever had on this site is for saying that Taylor worked hard for her networth :toofunny2:, it's OK.

2 minutes ago, Queenyoncee said:

lol the delusion, country radio is racist as ****, even Beyoncé herself can't break that barrier 

hell even Taylor Swift who was a country radio darling at the beginning of her career couldn't crack back into it with her country singles from the last 5 years

2 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

lol the delusion, country radio is racist as ****, even Beyoncé herself can't break that barrier 

hell even Taylor Swift who was a country radio darling at the beginning of her career couldn't crack back into it with her country singles from the last 5 years

so where is the delusion though? the tweet literally states "country radio is notoriously difficult to break into".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah, I highly doubt country radio is going to touch any of these songs, no matter how country they are.

2 hours ago, wildsidenormani said:

Okay but you can't deny it's an odd comment to make :rip:

Like there was no need to share that

Exactly, and that user has been known to troll a lot lmao. You’re not overreacting trust me.

Edited by cuteboyzay

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.