Nepal seeks to attract gays, promote pink economy

Revolution

Nepal-safe-for-gay-travelers-photo-credit-Nomadic-boys.jpg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&crop=faces&w=1200&h=900

In 2007, Nepal’s Supreme Court scrapped discriminatory laws against LGBTQ citizens, followed by the country granting them equal protection under the law in its new republican constitution ratified in 2015. Last year, the country’s top court issued an interim order allowing queer individuals to register their marriage at government offices until the country legalises marriage equality.

Global revenue from the LGBTQ tourism market is projected to rise to over US$610 billion by 2032, according to consultancy and market research firm Reports and Insights. Many global businesses are investing in LGBTQ-specific travel products and hospitality services to tap into the “pink economy”.

“There’s so much Nepal has to offer — we can market Nepal as a gay-friendly country,” said Nandini Lahe-Thapa, senior director at the Nepal Tourism Board, during an event to discuss the prospects for rainbow tourism in Nepal last month. “It’ll be a great step forward for Nepal’s tourism. It’s an untapped market.”

Nepal is also seen as a safe destination for queer travellers, with the country ranking 44th out of 203 countries and regions in the 2023 LGBTQ Travel Safety Index. In addition, the Himalayan nation is gearing up to host an international conference to promote rainbow tourism later in the spring.

Last year, the Nepal Tourism Board collaborated with the Nepal Mountaineering Association to organise the first-ever trekking guide programme for local LGBTQ individuals. The first cohort of 25 trekking guides will soon be available to help queer travellers.

Many tourism entrepreneurs say Nepal should also capitalise on its open culture and promote “rainbow marriages” as a tourism product so visitors can celebrate their relationships through ceremonies and other events.

In 2011, Sunil Babu Pant, an openly gay Nepal parliamentarian and gay rights activist, floated the idea of gay tourism in the country. As part of that campaign, he organised a traditional Hindu wedding ceremony for US couple Courtney Welton-Mitchell and Sarah Welton-Mitchell at a temple in Kathmandu.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/article/3250765/queer-friendly-nepal-aims-promote-pink-economy-rainbow-marriages-tourists-seen-growing-segment

• Like 1

wating for someone to say its a trap :giraffe:

I’m gonna need another source that’s not from a propaganda newspaper 

It's a trap :giraffe:

• Haha 5

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

come to nepal

Then cum in Nepal.

• Haha 2

aretha-franklin-im-gonna-pass-on-that-on

• Haha 1

Being LGBTQ+ friendly is a major selling point to tourism boards of many countries so I'm confused by the scepticism. I also think (and excuse what is perhaps ignorance) the east is generally becoming a bit more renown for acceptance so I see this as a positive?

The risk of a homophobic attack when travelling is more prominent than it has been ever before in the States and across many countries in Europe so I don't think many other parts of the world have willingness to scoff.

• Like 1

Too bad they cannot do a cruise in Nepal. No gay will ever go to an Everest get together hike or sumthing like that.

The country where Buddhism founded did that :clap3:

:clap3:

1 hour ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

The picture of basically twins :ahh: 

is it face blindness or crack? :gaycat6:

Thought Nepal was a person before entering this thread, so that’s probably a sign for me to stay away.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Just booked my flight

zydTHtM.gif

2 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

:suburban:

The guy on the left is giving Men At Play realness :sats:

As a LGBT member from Nepal, I am always intrigued by how, out of nowhere, Nepal became a safe LGBT accepting country since mid 2010's.

Huge surge in foreigner LGBT couples in many tourists' places, especially after COVID.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

I mean :rip: Honestly, if you’re gay and want a bf, just look for someone who looks like he could be your brother, your odds increase hugely :rip: It’s only the ones with a totally different type that struggle 

5 hours ago, Likingstars said:

Too bad they cannot do a cruise in Nepal. No gay will ever go to an Everest get together hike or sumthing like that.

Idk there's a guy at my work who's in a gay hiking group, so the niche definitely exists

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.