Jay Leno files for conservatorship of his wife

prézli

Jay-Leno-Mavis-Leno-012724-2f4c5feae7a84

Jay Leno has filed for conservatorship for his wife Mavis, who he says has been diagnosed with dementia.

In legal documents obtained by PEOPLE, the 73-year-old former late-show host stated that he is seeking a conservatorship in order to create a living trust for his 77-year-old spouse so that she has “managed assets” that can be used to potentially fund her future care in case of his death. This is the first time Leno has spoken about his wife's health diagnosis.

Leno reportedly claimed in the filing that Mavis, whom he married in 1980, does not contest to the creation of a conservatorship and does not have another person to act as her conservator. The Tonight Show alum also asked the judge that Mavis not be required to attend the court hearing about the conservatorship, as it would be “detrimental to her mental and physical health,” PEOPLE reports. 

https://ew.com/jay-leno-conservatorship-wife-mavis-estate-8550991

24 minutes ago, prézli said:

The Tonight Show alum also asked the judge that Mavis not be required to attend the court hearing about the conservatorship, as it would be “detrimental to her mental and physical health,” PEOPLE reports. 

Sus

• Thumbs Down 1

This seems fairly reasonable, no? Prevents all the vultures from sweeping in and taking advantage of her impaired state if the worst case scenario happens

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hook Up said:

Sus

She has dementia so not really no......

• Thanks 1

A situation like this is what a conservatorship is actually meant for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Assuming he’s not planning to strip her human rights and force her to earn him hundreds of millions by headlining a residency for a decade… then hopefully this is with good intentions :clap3:

• Like 2

They've been married for 44 years? That's sweet

Why are people incapable of taking care of their close ones without stripping them of their rights? Smfh

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

14 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Why are people incapable of taking care of their close ones without stripping them of their rights? Smfh

People with dementia will make increasingly poor decisions about their life, finances, health, etc that they normally would never make.  You can’t prevent someone with dementia from doing that unless they are put in a conservatorship.  

Jay’s perspective is that both he and his wife are old and there is no guarantee that he, her sole caretaker, will outlive her.  Their marriage happened in the 80’s, so it’s likely they never signed a pre-nup and she could be taken advantage of to give away their assets.  They don’t have any children and all living relatives are their age or older.  So yes, a conservatorship would ensure she continues to receive proper care if he was to pass, and that she won’t need to worry about managing their assets.

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This is sad. I wish them the best.

3 minutes ago, Archetype said:

People with dementia will make increasingly poor decisions about their life, finances, health, etc that they normally would never make.  You can’t prevent someone with dementia from doing that unless they are put in a conservatorship.  

Jay’s perspective is that both he and his wife are old and there is no guarantee that he, her sole caretaker, will outlive her.  Their marriage happened in the 80’s, so it’s likely they never signed a pre-nup and she could be taken advantage of to give away their assets.  They don’t have any children and all living relatives are their age or older.  So yes, a conservatorship would ensure she continues to receive proper care if he was to pass, and that she won’t need to worry about managing their assets.

I know families whose grandparents had Alzheimer and never took any legal action to “protect” them. Just took care of them personally till their last days.

I read now Jay and her wife never had kids. A conservatorship actually does seem well placed in this case given her illness and the possibility of her ending alone. I eat my words but I beg y’all to remember that the abuse in conservatorship goes beyond the family, but the legal system.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

This is literally the one case that this is reasonable...

41 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Thanks for describing the situation, it makes much more sense now.

25 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I know families whose grandparents had Alzheimer and never took any legal action to “protect” them. Just took care of them personally till their last days.

I read now Jay and her wife never had kids. A conservatorship actually does seem well placed in this case given her illness and the possibility of her ending alone. I eat my words but I beg y’all to remember that the abuse in conservatorship goes beyond the family, but the legal system.

But you see, there is a difference between the normal family that you mentioned and these two people who happen to be celebrities with no children. You never know how people can take advantage of you, especially given the calibre of your status. While I disapprove of the conservatorship in general, this seems to be done in a positive light - that she will be handled with care when he is, God forbid, no longer around. Plus, they have been together for more than four decades, which means something to them.

awww this is super sad, this is such a nasty horrible disease!! But this is a sensible decision.

15 minutes ago, Phoenixstar said:

Thanks for describing the situation, it makes much more sense now.

But you see, there is a difference between the normal family that you mentioned and these two people who happen to be celebrities with no children. You never know how people can take advantage of you, especially given the calibre of your status. While I disapprove of the conservatorship in general, this seems to be done in a positive light - that she will be handled with care when he is, God forbid, no longer around. Plus, they have been together for more than four decades, which means something to them.

We agree. Still, conservatorships are in urgent need of regulation. I hope Jay secures her a good plan so she doesn’t end being a victim of the system if he happens to not be around anymore.

2 hours ago, geddymonster said:

A situation like this is what a conservatorship is actually meant for.

word

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.