#MeToo backlash+TikTok algorithms causing drastic multi-issue Gen Z gender divisions

Espresso

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trent W

• Happylittlepunk

• Communion

• Espresso

This popped up in the discussions on here in regards to the Swedish elections over a year ago. 

Girlies were quick to yell "IT'S THE MIGRANTS' FAULT!!" but the breakdown of how people respond to political issues is truer amongst gender than nationality. 

On 9/11/2022 at 8:29 PM, Communion said:

Seems like a bit of a racist and objectively incorrect theory given the gender breakdown in polls:

If the claim is sexual and gender-based violence from largely male-migrant foreigners, why are men more likely to vote for neo-nazis than women? :celestial5:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Or maybe it means nothing and this isn't actually measuring anything?

One of his examples, the graph barely moved for young men supposedly getting mote "conservative". Is that really significant then?

Trying to make issues out of nothing, and create sensationalism more like.

• Like 1

Andrew tate and the extremist feminists are at fault

Dating as a straight has become hell in the last 2-3 years

I hate feminists and hate alpha males

Burn them with fire

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Thumbs Down 23

It took time, but it seems like the Andrew Tates and Jordan Petersons of the world got what they wanted all along.

Now to include the full subjugation of women into legislation and their vision will be complete. :coffee2:

Seems like a win for gays everywhere! 

Gaga-blows-kiss.gif

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

I do think there's a strong reactionary undercurrent among young men in general, as in a "reaction" to the generally culturally liberal media landscape-- the pendulum inevitably swings back. It's kinda like the traditional anti-establishment slant of the youth, but now the "establishment" is seen as liberal values.

Of course this is not to say that we should just roll over and accept the rollback of LGBT+ freedoms and whatnot, but it is worrying.

South Korea is an especially pertinent case: back in 2021 there was a mayoral election in Seoul where young male voters backed the conservative candidate by almost 30 points. The fact that the previous mayor committed suicide under SA allegations might be a factor but it does serve as an indication of where things are heading.

Edited by AndThenTheCocaine
  • Like 4

@AndThenTheCocaine The entire point of this article is that women aren’t joining men in that backlash though. 

The question comes down to essentially who shows up to vote.

South Korea is showing in real time that resentment towards women among Gen Z men is now spreading to other issues such as immigration.

Men always being the source of all problems in this world. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Just now, Espresso said:

@AndThenTheCocaine The entire point of this article is that women aren’t joining men in that backlash though. 

The question comes down to essentially who shows up to vote.

South Korea is showing in real time that resentment towards women among Gen Z men is now spreading to other issues such as immigration.

oops lemme correct that

6 minutes ago, dawnettakins said:

One of his examples, the graph barely moved for young men supposedly getting mote "conservative".

The US is a survey between stated ideology. The other 3 are how both voted in recent political elections between what is deemed a conservative and a liberal political party, so there will be nuances, but the divide in how men and women vote is becoming bigger in a way that is easy to observe.

20 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

Equating men who harass women, sometimes assault/stalk/murder women (way more than women who assault/stalk/murder men), and support the erasure of their reproductive rights (and the politicians that do) with women who 

1. want reproductive rights

2. resent the demographic that makes their lives way less safe

is pretty disingenuous tbh. 

ot: I do think social media algorithms play into it (the amount of right-wing recommendations I get on YT when I don't even watch that content is annoying) as does the "dunking/cringe compilation/oWnEd!!1! type of content that algorithms promote. I do think this is worth paying attention to though.  

The term feminism has been hijacked online by “I hate all men” type of content creators 

This isn’t about rights, both genders are trashing each other online all the time

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 9

5 minutes ago, Trent W said:

The term feminism has been hijacked online by “I hate all men” type of content creators 

This isn’t about rights, both genders are trashing each other online all the time

Are you a straight man? That would explain your dumb takes in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 3

Brace yourselves, sisters. VERY dark times are coming especially with the imminent Trump presidency. 

I feel it's getting worse from here. Social media algorithms are putting people in such strong filter bubbles that soon enough extremists will be majority (from both sides). It's sad that people nowadays can't have a nuanced discussion, but both sides are to blame.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Raptus said:

Are you a straight man? That would explain your dumb takes in this thread.

I date women and they are becoming unbearable in terms specific of dating

Other than that I support rights for them, but a lot are following the wrong advice these days

Edited by Trent W
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 7

I mean just look at how many people - mainly young men - idolize Andrew Tate, Kanye West, Elon Musk, and Ben Shapiro.

Men can literally be Nazi-sympathizers and human traffickers and still have careers held up by young men. 

Look at this very websites the past few days. Young gay men on here continue to support Nicki Minaj who - despite being a woman - continues to advocate for violence against women and uplifts male sex abusers. 

Years ago, these figures’ careers would be over. Now, they still receive support. Young men genuinely terrify me these days. It’s shocking and scary what has become acceptable these days. All the progress we’ve made seems to be reversing itself before our very eyes. 

Edited by HeavyMetalAura
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Trent W said:

date women and they are becoming unbearable in terms specific of dating

Other than that I support rights for them, but a lot are following the wrong advice these days

And you, as a man, know better then them whats good for them? :rip:

• Thanks 1

The same demographic that champions Andrew Tate and Elon Musk is conversative and getting worse? :O

:O

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Raptus said:

And you, as a man, know better then them whats good for them? :rip:

When did I said that?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Aston Martin said:

Equating men who harass women, sometimes assault/stalk/murder women (way more than women who assault/stalk/murder men), and support the erasure of their reproductive rights (and the politicians that do) with women who 

1. want reproductive rights

2. resent the demographic that makes their lives way less safe

is pretty disingenuous tbh. 

ot: I do think social media algorithms play into it (the amount of right-wing recommendations I get on YT when I don't even watch that content is annoying) as does the "dunking/cringe compilation/oWnEd!!1! type of content that algorithms promote. I do think this is worth paying attention to though.  

Exactly. Twitter is even the worst case, since out of nowhere I got recommended rightwing commentors when all I interact all days are swifties' contents, no matter how much I choose to block Andrew Tate and the likes.
Rightwing political contents are now the norms to be recommended on that site, for sure.

1 hour ago, Trent W said:

boo hoo :shakeno:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.