Apple to allow third-party app stores on iPhones (only in the EU) from March

Bosque

Today, Apple announced how it plans to change the rules for developers releasing iOS software in the European Union in response to the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA) coming into force in March. The big news is that third-party app stores will be allowed on iOS for the first time, breaking the Apple App Store’s position as the sole distributor of iPhone apps.

Here’s how the new “alternative app marketplaces,” as Apple called them, will work. Users in the EU and on iOS 17.4 will be able to download a marketplace from that marketplace’s website. In order to be used on an iPhone, those marketplaces have to go through Apple’s approval process, and once you download one, you have to explicitly give it permission to download apps to your device. But once the marketplace is approved and on your device, you can download anything you want — including apps that violate App Store guidelines. You can even set a non-App Store marketplace as the default on your device.

The EU designated Apple as a gatekeeper last September and listed its App Store, Safari browser, and iOS operating system as “core platform services” that would have to comply with the DMA’s rules.

Apple is bringing sideloading and alternate app stores to the iPhone - The Verge

Edited by Dephira
  • Haha 1

Cloud streaming apps are now worldwide though.

Which means xCloud and GeForce Now is possible on Apple TV. PS5 you're BONES. :jonnycat:

• Like 2

Whilst I know apple is seething rn, I kinda feel it’ll help them gain even more marketshare in the EU. I mean, doesn’t this harm Android more than iOS?

Just now, Better Mistakes said:

Whilst I know apple is seething rn, I kinda feel it’ll help them gain even more marketshare in the EU. I mean, doesn’t this harm Android more than iOS?

If Apple thought so they could have easily introduced this many years ago. 

In any case, if that happens, there's nothing wrong with them gaining market share due to an improvement to their phones 

1 minute ago, Better Mistakes said:

It would definitely help with their marketshare taking one of Android's key advantages. Considering how Gen Z and beyond are choosing iPhones, cloud streaming might win more of them over.:rip: 

I can hopefully downgrade twitter to the bird icon and snapchat to 2D bitmojis now :clap3:

Edited by airplane
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

so I'll be able to download apps which are only on the google play store?

10 minutes ago, Nashe said:

so I'll be able to download apps which are only on the google play store?

Only if those Play Store apps have an iOS version that is not on the App Store, but on one of these "alternative marketplaces". Also there are still some types of apps that are not possible to port to iOS because of Apple API restrictions, such as WiFi scanning and certain Bluetooth apps.

This is kind of a red flag though:

In order to be used on an iPhone, those marketplaces have to go through Apple’s approval process

So if Apple disapproves of apps being distributed on one of these alternative marketplaces, can they nix the whole thing?

And still no side-loading?

Edited by moo
  • Like 1

Epic Games rn:

:giraffe: Fortnite, ha power 

Can't wait to download +32GB Memory Card app :clap3:

finally... plz, all p0rn sites, don't jump all at once with your apps :coffee:

• ATRL Moderator

Oh no, I probably won't ever download any of those apps anyway, I won't risk my iPhone with shady apps

20 hours ago, =NEX= said:

I love how the EU is turning Apple into its little sub bottom b**ch 

Kii first USB type C now this, EU is not playing with them :oh:

19 hours ago, moo said:

Only if those Play Store apps have an iOS version that is not on the App Store, but on one of these "alternative marketplaces". Also there are still some types of apps that are not possible to port to iOS because of Apple API restrictions, such as WiFi scanning and certain Bluetooth apps.

This is kind of a red flag though:

So if Apple disapproves of apps being distributed on one of these alternative marketplaces, can they nix the whole thing?

And still no side-loading?

No. Marketplaces are things like Play Store, App Gallery etc those are the ones Apple has approval off, you can get any app on there without needing apple's approval. 

Edited by KingWitch

3 minutes ago, KingWitch said:

Kii first USB type C now this, EU is not playing with them :oh:

No. Marketplaces are things like Play Store, App Gallery etc those are the ones Apple has approval off, you can get any app on there without needing apple's approval. 

Not quite. Apple is introducing a "notarization" requirement for all iOS apps, including ones  from third-party app stores. Apple can still block apps from being installed on iOS but the EU will definitely monitor this closely to make sure Apple isn't abusing this to get around the law.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.