Dua Lipa - "Training Season"

BlackoutZone

Just now, Iris said:

They also rejected Levitating at first but then it ended up being #1 on the Year-End chart.

The difference is when anyone heard Levitating they knew that song was bound to be a huge hit in the states. Houdini doesnt sound like an American hit. It sounds VERY european and its chart performance is reflecting that. I just dont see any strategic benefit of using a Doja collab on a remix for a song that is completely struggling to connect with american audiences. Again, this is talking purely strategy / charts. If it was just about a creative thing then go for it! but for charts purposes remixing Houdini wouldnt really do much for this song in the US. It's best to preserve a huge collab like that for an entirely new song. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SayIt

• Cain

• Solaria

• KatyPrismSpirit

Some people in this thread are so overly reactionary. She should just release the album. Releasing ANOTHER single hoping it sticks is just embarrassing for a star of her calibre at this point of her career. It's also completely useless.

Also, when has constantly delaying an album EVER worked out for a pop star apart from Dua's debut album? Zara Larsson, Charli XCX, Ava Max, Tinashe, Bebe Rexha etc etc all did that strategy and just ended up with a flop album, just months delayed and way more embarrassing! 

Her best bet is to keep pushing Training Season for the foreseeable future and then drop the album in May alongside a third single. She can then continue to release singles whilst on tour, and push for a Grammy campaign if the album is good. 

• Like 2

gosh i HATE when there's too many pre-album singles, will make the album a boring listen when it's eventually out

Unless she can bump the tracklist size from 11 to 14/15 AND restrict herself to 1 more pre-release single, let ha team continue MILKING these two me fears :clap3:

Edited by theoghon

11 minutes ago, Spark said:

Some people in this thread are so overly reactionary. She should just release the album. Releasing ANOTHER single hoping it sticks is just embarrassing for a star of her calibre at this point of her career. It's also completely useless.

Also, when has constantly delaying an album EVER worked out for a pop star apart from Dua's debut album? Zara Larsson, Charli XCX, Ava Max, Tinashe, Bebe Rexha etc etc all did that strategy and just ended up with a flop album, just months delayed and way more embarrassing! 

Her best bet is to keep pushing Training Season for the foreseeable future and then drop the album in May alongside a third single. She can then continue to release singles whilst on tour, and push for a Grammy campaign if the album is good. 

Better yet, just release the album and hope something sticks organically like "New Rules" did. Dua's debut 100% would have ended up the way of those other albums you mentioned had it not been for that song gaining popularity by sheer word of mouth, at the time of self-titled's release she was still a nobody in the US and only had a couple of minor hits in Europe. It's definitely possible she and her team/label could have overlooked an obvious smasha again. I'm still shocked it took them as long as it did to release "Levitating" as a single from FN!

• Like 3

Like someone already said, Dua isn’t big enough for the entirety of the US to check out the album when it drops which works in her advantage 

She should drop the album (she needs to before Glastonbury anyway) and see what song has the most potential to blow up

I can see them only dropping a promo track with the album announcement/pre-order and then launching the album with the 3rd single, or maybe they'll wait and see which song resonates the most with the public to push after the first week.

Ariana got a hit with an album single, I feel 3rd single which will be released alongside album is their last hope, it probably needs to be best song on the album or something unique and different, till then she can start promoting Houdini and TS on talk shows by actually PERFORMING them…

She should release the title track as a promo single and if it sticks then pull the plug on TS.

I don’t think she’s releasing another song before the album. 

@sweet Would you mind to give us some crumbs on that sad Sunday? It’s getting boring 

8 hours ago, Cain said:

And no one cares, One Kiss has 2 billion streams on Spotify and it didn’t need the US for that

Global smashes > US peaks

LOL please. Of course y'all care deeply about the US (under)performance this era so far. 

17 hours ago, k4rmabutterfly said:

If her team want a comercial success on the same level as Future Nostalgia or Self-Titled like they said, I feel like the best thing they can do is to release a lot of singles before the album, like her debut. She’s not smashing, but she’s not bombing either. When she smashed with New Rules, she already had a lot of minor hits like Be the One, Hotter than Hell, Blow Your Mind, 3 hits + one smash? The album was successful already, before the release. Another single with similar numbers to Houdini or TS and the album will have 3 cute hits already.

So I kinda think her team is doing the “right” thing to avoid this album to be a huge comercial decline from Future Nostalgia on streaming. It’s frustrating for us but they should push at least one more single before the album, I think.  Unless they changed their plans and this era will be arts not the charts.

A 27 peaking song is a "cute hit" now ? Not the standards being re-defined. 

• Thumbs Down 1

She should push a new single with the album release, just like Ariana did with "we can't be friends". Or just release it the week before.

She’s definitely releasing another single before album release cuz i don’t see her not doing anything until early June. And i say late May because March has Ari & Beyonce, April has Shakira & Taylor (which I think will do like 5-6 weeks at #1) so yeah early June for her to have clear waters. Although there’s like a week before Taylor which isn’t eventful so she could probably release then, maybe, idk. And if she does a new single, please, release the Ian Kirkpatrick song. That’s a guaranteed smash hit. 

6 hours ago, TSwiftie said:

What does it say sis? I think because of the black theme I cant see whats written next to Houdini

Change the theme for few seconds, then. :rip:

Houdini did almost 3.1M the other day.

We already have 2 singles and no clue whats the plan ( album , tour etc ) 

Her going back to studio its pretty clear that she is looking for a hit single to launch the album . Looks like they were relying on Training Season to smash and they are kind of lost atm 

I think its smart to find a hit but i hope they dont scrap the album or delay it for Q3-Q4 . Find the hit , record it , release it in April and the album in May 

1 minute ago, shark_heather said:

We already have 2 singles and no clue whats the plan ( album , tour etc ) 

Her going back to studio its pretty clear that she is looking for a hit single to launch the album . Looks like they were relying on Training Season to smash and they are kind of lost atm 

I think its smart to find a hit but i hope they dont scrap the album or delay it for Q3-Q4 . Find the hit , record it , release it in April and the album in May 

Where is the evidence she’s back in the studio doing new stuff for the album?

1 minute ago, Vermouth said:

Where is the evidence she’s back in the studio doing new stuff for the album?

Hmm i saw a thread in celebria earlier today 🤔 

The longevity is super impressive for Houdini and TS despite not pulling huge numbers (H pulling 3M 6 months in though WHEW)

If she doesn't get a smash with either though then I wouldn't mind her going back in the studio to find/chase an even bigger hit :gayalipacat4:

or she could push the Ian Kirkpatrick song like another user said :sistrens:

BTW side note but mods can we get that Yes And member thread banned? They're constantly spewing hate towards Dua and giving delusional and unintelligent takes :coffee2:

• Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, shark_heather said:

Hmm i saw a thread in celebria earlier today 🤔 

The one with a photo of her sat on a sofa with three others in a studio?  The red hair dates it from at least last October but apart from that it’s evidence she sat on a sofa sometime in the last five months.  Nothing else.

How on Earth there’s an 85 comment thread with most leaping to outlandish conclusions from that about album scrapping or rehashes I have no idea?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vermouth said:

The one with a photo of her sat on a sofa with three others in a studio?  The red hair dates it from at least last October but apart from that it’s evidence she sat on a sofa sometime in the last five months.  Nothing else.

How on Earth there’s an 85 comment thread with most leaping to outlandish conclusions from that about album scrapping or rehashes I have no idea?

Just another excuse for her haters to gather around and kiki about her "fLoPpInG!!1!" :psyduck:

That's why I usually avoid threads like that because the ODHs are absolutely ridiculous with their sh*tty takes on everything Dua related.

Whether she went back in the studio or not I still think we're getting the album in May/June after the Swiftquake and Beynami :keir:

5 minutes ago, Vermouth said:

Aaahh ok . Well ain't nothing wrong on going back to the studio if you ask me but still this era feels a little bit weird ( compared to some of the recent pop eras that we got almost from the beginning Album date announcement ) 

Do we think that TS could have gotten a bigger exposure if it was released with the album ? ( like we can't be friends)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.