Albums that changed/defined you

To some, there are certain albums that came at a time in their lives where said albums defined a period of; feeling, change, inspiration, etc. 

Which albums defined/changed you and why?

There are (so far) five albums that I vividly remember came at a time that made a profound impact in my life.  

Pure Heroine, Lorde (2013)- changed the way I listen, view, and appreciate music. Made my closeted self think more about my loneliness and future. 

Melodrama, Lorde (2017)- same as PH but in a broader lens. 

Rainbow, Kesha (2017)- as a die hard Kesha fan, this triumphant return inspired me in a big way. 

Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves (2019)- having never been a fan of country music, I gave it a listen after its Grammy wins and was completely blown away. 

folklore, Taylor Swift (2020)- this came at such a confusing time for everyone, especially for me. I was in a deep depression with many things in my life going wrong, this album helped me get through some of those worst times. 

There are many more albums that impacted me and some might be "better" than these listed, but as any music fan will know only certain ones can keep you company during a time of need. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strawberry Bubble

• Aramis

• VioletsandRoses

Top Posters In This Topic

RIHANNA - UNAPOLOGETIC

RIHANNA - ANTI

SZA - CTRL 

SZA - SOS

DUA LIPA - FUTURE NOSTALGIA

Foreign Affair of TINA TURNER 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 305 said:

To some, there are certain albums that came at a time in their lives where said albums defined a period of; feeling, change, inspiration, etc. 

Which albums defined/changed you and why?

There are (so far) five albums that I vividly remember came at a time that made a profound impact in my life.  

Pure Heroine, Lorde (2013)- changed the way I listen, view, and appreciate music. Made my closeted self think more about my loneliness and future. 

Melodrama, Lorde (2017)- same as PH but in a broader lens. 

Rainbow, Kesha (2017)- as a die hard Kesha fan, this triumphant return inspired me in a big way. 

Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves (2019)- having never been a fan of country music, I gave it a listen after its Grammy wins and was completely blown away. 

folklore, Taylor Swift (2020)- this came at such a confusing time for everyone, especially for me. I was in a deep depression with many things in my life going wrong, this album helped me get through some of those worst times. 

There are many more albums that impacted me and some might be "better" than these listed, but as any music fan will know only certain ones can keep you company during a time of need. 

Hot Fuss - The Killers

Melodrama - Lorde (obviously)

Evermore - Taylor Swift

Red (TV) - Taylor Swift 

Loud - Rihanna

Confessions On a Dancefloor - Madonna

Edited by Strawberry Bubble
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 305 said:

Nobody answering the WHY, the people need to know!

I'm swamped with work right now, so sorry for the short answer, lol.

• Like 1

this album made me obsessed with music in general i was mesmerized

if we are getting to the core of it all...

• Like 1

Joe Jackson - Night and Day

I hated this record when I first heard it. The cover pulled me in, but the music left me totally cold. A few years later, I gave it another chance, and it absolutely blew me away. The lyrics, the production, the passion behind his vocals. This record taught me that I can't listen to a record just once to understand it or even understand if it's for me. It also features Jackson's exploration of his own queerness, which was not an easy thing to do in 1982. Now, it's one of my absolute favorites. I have amazing memories attached to it.

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection & Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814

These two records define my younger years. I swear I wore the tapes white with how many times I played them. TIC lived in my car stereo when I was in college, and RN was an album that never left my little shoebox player. To this day, this are the album I look back on and have the most nostalgia for.

Frank Sinatra - Watertown

Watertown is a concept record that was poorly received upon release by has such garned a cult following. It epitomizes Sinatra's creative and whacky second act as a performer, and, although it's more easy listening in musical make-up, it marks when I started really enjoying jazz records. Sinatra was the doorway to a lot of great music to come.

June Christy - Something Cool

If Watertown opened the door, Something Cool blew it off its hinges. Christy never got the sustained adoration she deserved, unfortunately, but she'll always have a special place in my collection. A guy I used to play with introduced me to her, but he wasn't a huge fan. His casual record choice sparked a decades-long love affair with her music and her voice. She has an incredibly human quality, and she always puts me in a good mood.

• Like 1

Lorde - Melodrama, this one is self explanatory, it was of great significance to every gay teenager in 2017. I remember the album leaked a week or so prior while I was at high school, downloaded it on my phone, and listened to the l-word on my way back home. Best period of my life.

Grimes - Art Angelschanged my view on what pop music can be. I've become disenchanted from Grimes but Geidi Primes, Halfaxa, Visions, and Art Angels will always have a special place in my heart lol

honourable mentions go to:

Allie X - CollXtion I

Beach House - Bloom / Depression Cherry

Crystal Castles discography

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lady Gaga, The Fame Monster – Sparked my lifelong passion for art and creativity and my belief that both are vital to society.

Florence + the Machine, Ceremonials – The first album that I connected to on a truly spiritual level, introduced me to the extent of music's power and impact on me.

The National, Trouble Will Find Me – My introduction to a band that has been a warm blanket and source of comfort and empathy throughout my adolescent and adult life.

Lana Del Rey, Born to Die – The first album from the artist who literally inspired me to become a writer myself and has heavily impacted and helped me come to terms with my own worldview.

Radiohead, Kid A – One of those rare instances where a piece of music met me exactly where I was when I first heard it. Felt really beat up by life when I heard this album for the first time, and it helped me come to terms with the fact that life happens in phases, hardship doesn't have to be permanent, and that my experience wasn't exclusive to me.

Edited by EdgeofTeeth
  • Like 1

Honestly, few albums have "changed" me but I guess the closest are:

1. BANKS - Goddess. I went through a hard break up and I attached this album to that person. Every time I listen to this album I'm reminded I should never go back there. It also changed the way I viewed music. I used to listen to mainstream music only back then and it was because of this album that I started to become interested in smaller, alternative/indie acts and other genres besides pop and rock. 

2. Demi Lovato - Dancing with the Devil... The Art of Starting Over / HOLY ****. I resonate with the topics she sings about too much (minus drug abuse). They also came out at the moment I went through another break-up and therapy. They have been my go-to albums to overcome what I've gone through in the past years and I still struggle with. It also helps that, as I said, she sings about her mental struggles in general and both albums feel like a diary to me. They are a safe place basically. 

3. Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter. Similarly to Goddess, this album has changed the way I view music today and it's made me interested in a genre I was not so used to listening to before. It's also one of the very few albums that has left me speechless with its production and lyrics. It's simply fascinating. 

Edited by thatsmydemi
  • Like 2

• Stripped by Christina Aguilera
  • That's the Spirit by Bring Me the Horizon
  • Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 by Janet Jackson
  • Sign 'o the Times by Prince
  • Before the Dawn Heals Us by M83
  • The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails
  • Progression by Markus Schulz
  • Issues by Issues
  • Southern Air by Yellowcard
  • American Idiot by Green Day

Whether that's by opening my mind to different sounds, ideas and concepts, learning to appreciate life, being more confident in myself, etc.

• Thanks 1

Miley Cyrus and her dead petz - this album made me feel comfortable during the time I realized I'm in love with a girl and I grew up in h0mophonic family so i felt ashamed of it and tried to hide it. 

Folklore and Plastic Hearts saved during depression and lockdown.

Stick Season by Noah Kahan feel like a hug after a hard day

• Like 1

71tp8YpD02L._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful will forever be bigger than life for me. It not only changed the way I approached music, the whole era connected with me on a level I never experienced music before. The performances, the visuals, the narrative, the dynamic. The tour concert for it that I attended in 2015 remains my favorite live experience of all time as well. It feels like a safe space I can always come back to in my mind. Beyond the fact the art itself was so beautiful, it also directly led to great friendships and bonds that I carry to this day. It's truly an album that impacted my life the most thus far.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Pure Heroine

Bangerz 

these two came out at the same time in 2013 and were very formative for me in mid-teens, both are kinda total opposite in the way they approach the complicated concept that is "youth" and "coming of age" but both spoke to me in their respective way. 

this album defined the time between my first break up and falling in love with my second partner which ended up being fast, short and tumultuous but also very passionate, an extremely formative period.

Folkmore 

this duology earthed and accompanied me in a time that i think was formative for... the entire humanity :rip:

Edited by FlyOnTheWall
  • Thanks 2

random reasons. but this is the list:

The Fame (Monster) -  Lady Gaga (oh i think i'm gay)

Teenage Dream - Katy Perry (i'm def gay and i love pop culture)

When The Sun Goes Down - Selena Gomez & the Scene (oh i REALLYYYY stan someone, how nice)

Talk That Talk - Rihanna (i'm a bad *****)

Revival - Selena Gomez (i'm the baddest ***** and i love gay clubs)

Reputation - Taylor Swift (let's keep going.. happy years!!)

Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves (i hate my ex and i hate my life let's go to therapy)

Rare - Selena Gomez (i'm baaaaack)

Midnights - Taylor Swift (i'm still back but life is hard huh - but yeah i'm happy in a mature way)

:redface::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::redface:

spacer.png

I feel like my entire outlook of life changed with this album, and it dropping my senior year of high school just completely changed the entire course of my life, and I wish I was being dramatic. The ‘pick me’ energy is spot on, and she came at it from such a different way. 

while the pop girlies were making club bops, Lana dropped video games and it changed lives, and the mainstream 

• Like 1

Will forever be BORN THIS WAY!:gaygacat9:

Arca - Mutant

Nothing really felt the same after my initial listen. I had and still have never heard a project quite like it. It really challenged my view on what music really is and what it can do. My initial listen felt like exploring a dense, dark & undefined jungle, and it still feels that way as I pick up on new production elements to this day. The project evokes such unapologetic originality and weirdness in ways I could never imagine. It also inspired me to start producing and being in tune with sound in a more personal way.

BTD was the first album I listened to in full and that put me into stan culture. 

Let me add MOTOMAMI to my list because the album itself is incredible and has already made a huge impact in music, but the tour was something like I’d never seen before in regards of an artist being so involved and intentional with their craft  it was genuinely inspiring 

Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed

Miley Cyrus - Bangerz

Porches - The House

Tove Lo - Lady Wood

Tinashe - Aquarius 

The Weeknd - Kissland

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.