What would Taylor's career have been like if COVID had never happened?

Strawberry Bubble

TayIor is an expert at turning her problems to her advantage. We all know the history behind the massive success she is currently enjoying: she decided to change her style, innovate, and create 'folklore,' and then, with the re-recordings, she catapulted her career to new heights. However, how do you think her career would have unfolded if COVID had never happened? Do you believe she would still have achieved the same level of success she enjoys today? Do you think her relationship with Joe would have lasted less time?

I think she would have hidden in suitcases again after the Lover Fest and probably released TS8 in 2022/23

spl1539678-001-1500372787.jpg?crop=0.496

• Haha 2

Ava Max would be No.1 on streaming

• Haha 5

I actually think she would be right where she sis now.

The rerecordings were always going to happen, covid or not, and from my point of view what really catapulted her into new heights was Red TV so she was always meant to smash. 

The only positive thing that I can point out is that we at least got two marvelous albums before she released the trash that is Midnight.

Edited by D.Va

She would've still released Folklore and succeeded. She is always talking about how the industry hates geriatric pop stars over 30. So I think she planned to go in a different direction after Loser regardless of COVID.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The re-releases would have still been massive. But I don’t think we would have gotten folklore or evermore. And those albums undoubtedly reached a new audience 

The re-recordings would've been less successful. Her fanbase got smaller during Lover. Gen Z wouldn't be obsessed with her that much.

• Like 4

I think she would go from lover to midnights and under perform. I’d like to think I’m wrong but the way things are ideal in terms of her career trajectory :heart2:

4 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

I think she would go from lover to midnights and under perform. I’d like to think I’m wrong but the way things are ideal in terms of her career trajectory :heart2:

I think you’re right. Folklore completely changed the trajectory of her career. I don’t think she would’ve taken that route if not for covid and I don’t think the audience would’ve received it as well either. 

• Like 6

@FolkLover1989 Could you please provide some feedback on why you downvoted this thread? I've noticed consistent downvotes from your account, and I'm genuinely interested in understanding any concerns you may have. Thanks! 

• Haha 8

18 minutes ago, Revolution said:

She would've still released Folklore and succeeded. She is always talking how the industry hates geriatric pop stars over 30. So I think she planned to go in a different direction after Loser regardless of COVID.

This is a really interesting take! I think she would have made Folklore too, but I don't know if it could have achieved the same level of success. 

She probably would have blown up with the re recordings; folklore was big but I feel like Red TV is what really accelerated her career 

7 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

This is a really interesting take! I think she would have made Folklore too, but I don't know if it could have achieved the same level of success. 

I remember her opening tweet to surprise releasing folklore having said she was inspired by the isolation of lockdown, so I can’t imagine her making the folklore record without the lockdown

• Like 2

I believe she wrote August with Jack before lockdown. Good chance that she would have written a similar quality album regardless of the pandemic.

if she went straight from lover to midnights (with no re recordings) i think midnights would’ve gained fans back and would have a #1 song, with like lavender haze a #3 single and karma a top 5

the lead singles going from “I promise that you’ll never find another like ME!” to “it’s me… i’m the problem it’s me” would’ve been hilarious :dies:

• Haha 1

'Bout the same :nicole:

She would have done those loverfest shows and probably would not have had the resurgence she has had. Idk or care if her relationship with Joe would have lasted. Folklore would not have happened and neither would the overall shift the GP and critics had of her due to that album. 

Edited by Gladiator

52 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

@FolkLover1989 Could you please provide some feedback on why you downvoted this thread? I've noticed consistent downvotes from your account, and I'm genuinely interested in understanding any concerns you may have. Thanks! 

Cause I once did argue with you on a certain topic and we all know where it went

Also re-recordings would have happened anyways and MTR was written before pandemic 

Yes some things changed but it would be very similar. Destiny finds itself out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Cause I once did argue with you on a certain topic and we all know where it went

Also re-recordings would have happened anyways and MTR was written before pandemic 

Yes some things changed but it would be very similar. Destiny finds itself out

I'm going to be 100% honest with you: I don't remember us arguing in the past, and I'm sorry if I offended you. It's confusing to me because I genuinely don't recall any bad discussions with you.

Thanks for sharing your answer. :heart:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

I'm going to be 100% honest with you: I don't remember us arguing in the past, and I'm sorry if I offended you. It's confusing to me because I genuinely don't recall any bad discussions with you.

Thanks for sharing your answer. :heart:

Oh it's all good

Also tbh I am not targeting you or anything 

I generally dislike something if I don't like maybe I did some of yours so sorry for that :heart:

• Thanks 1

Rven if she released folklore without Covid, i dont think it would have made the same impact since most of vapid pop stans wouldnt have been in lockdown to appreciate that album in full

• Haha 1

i don’t think the parasocial relationship her fans have with her would be the level it’s at right now 

this goes for a lot of celebrities/social media personalities 

• Thanks 1

This is actually a bit complex. Folklore is one of the defining pandemic albums. At the same time, we don't know what Taylor would have done if she were able to tour during that time. Lover Fest seemed poised to be quite a big moment for her as a touring artist. Maybe without the pandemic Aaron would had been working and touring with The National instead and unable to hand her the melodies that would serve as the backbone for both Folklore and Evermore. I still think Taylor would have released a singer-songwriter album after Lover with the help of Jack, especially after his work with Lana in 2019. I still think the re-recordings would have been very successful and she would end up having a massive Eras tour anyways. I think the masters situation and the re-introduction of her old catalogue and new songs to new audiences were more decisive factors than the pandemic in regards to her current popularity. Had she been able to buy her masters from Big Machine and none of that situation happened we would be living a different Swift timeline (she would still be massive as a touring artist imo)

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 1

Everything would probably be the same. She was going to go with the lana sound after lover and bey surprise release the albums. she was already re recording the albums so she still had that controversy 

the only difference would be a lesser splash with touring but she’d probably have done more tours in between this one and the last so she still would’ve sold the same 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirrtydiana said:

Everything would probably be the same. She was going to go with the lana sound after lover and bey surprise release the albums. she was already re recording the albums so she still had that controversy 

the only difference would be a lesser splash with touring but she’d probably have done more tours in between this one and the last so she still would’ve sold the same 

I agree with you. I also can't imagine her flopping in the future either. She's truly too big right now!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.