Longlegs (2024) | Now slaying in theaters

genetic fail

8 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

I think we need to have a convo about what a "scary movie" is to people. not dragging you at all here, but ive seen this exact sentiment about this movie a LOT on twitter, basically like "well... it wasn't scary, but it was disturbing/creepy/unnerving" and I just think... isn't that a scary movie? is "scary" just a more intense version of all those things? because you said "not as scary". because if not, then im left wondering what "scary" would be. idk ive been thinking about this a LOT, especially with the reaction to this movie lmao

100% agree.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncatena

• genetic fail

• illia

• ICLDXU4HS

5 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

I think we need to have a convo about what a "scary movie" is to people. not dragging you at all here, but ive seen this exact sentiment about this movie a LOT on twitter, basically like "well... it wasn't scary, but it was disturbing/creepy/unnerving" and I just think... isn't that a scary movie? is "scary" just a more intense version of all those things? because you said "not as scary". because if not, then im left wondering what "scary" would be. idk ive been thinking about this a LOT, especially with the reaction to this movie lmao

No that's for sure a fair point! On a larger scale, I think western audiences are used to shitty jumpscare movies (the nun, smile, etc), so that's probably why they're saying this one isn't scary, because the horror here doesn't rely on those cheap tactics

For me though, the discomfort and tension in the atmosphere were more what I'd typically associate with a suspense film. This movie is interesting though, I feel like it's a unique mixture of a few different genres. Suspense, crime, horror. 

Don't get me wrong though, the film was scary, but I just probably wouldn't go as far as to say that it's the scariest movie ever, which is what a bunch of the reviewers said in the lead up to the release 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oomf saw this and a couple walked out of the theatre halfway through calling it stupid as ****. :rip:

20 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

exactly

being disturbed and clenched for 90 mins >>> the occasional telegraphed jumpscare with all the cliche bells and whistles. 

Edited by HonourableVomit
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

I'll jump in here to say I also didn't find the movie scary, and by that I mean there weren't (too many) cheap jump scares, but I also wasn't disturbed/unnerved most of the time. I think I've just seen too many horror movies at this point, or I'm too invested in the craft of the film to feel "scared" by it, idk.

For me, I consider something scary if I carry fear out of the theatre. Like after I saw It Follows, I for real felt paranoid walking down a street and seeing someone walking behind me :skull: I wasn't scared during Longlegs and certainly didn't feel uneasy after the film at all, so I just wouldn't call it "scary." I did like it a lot though (even if I found the resolution pretty unsatisfying and potentially marred by plot holes).

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 12:41 AM, illia said:

Wanted to go to the cinema to see it during all the hype but apparently it's not coming to my country until late August

:clack:

UPDATE: apparently it's getting pushed forward to August 1st so I might see it sooner than I thought :duca:

Thankfully I still know NOTHING about the plot sans the short description on Rotten Tomatoes, and the only spoiler I accidentally caught was Longlegs' face

Edited by illia

how was this yall? saw the trailer and i'm very intrigued now 

both neon and a24's two biggest films are:

an asian excellence Best Picture Winner

a 2024 well-reviewed original thriller (longlegs, civil war)

i still prefer A24 though.

15 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

i still prefer A24 though.

after using AI for film posters and it coming out that there are several writers still waiting for thousands of dollars from work they did last year. not to mention a zionist, AI-loving venture capitalist is now the biggest investor. they can **** off, quite honestly. 

16 hours ago, shyboi said:

how was this yall? saw the trailer and i'm very intrigued now 

it was very, very good imo. unsettling, intriguing, sometimes darkly funny and wholly unique. don't expect it to be "the scariest movie ever" or anything like that and you'll enjoy it.

• Thanks 2

I'M F***ING SPEECHLESS !!!!! MY JAW IS ON THE FLOOR !!!! LONGLEGS THE INSTANT CLASSIC THAT U ALREADY ARE !!!! I WAS SHAKING THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MOVIE !!! MAIKA MONROE MOTHERED IN IT FOLLOWS, NOW GRANDMOTHERED IN LONGLEGS !!!! HORROR MOVIES SWEETIES, U ARE OFFICIALLY SAVEDDD!!! :weeps: :weeps:

just copy-pasted my tweet haha, sorry for the caps-lock. I had to wait longer for the movie to finally come out in my country and I was at the first available screening :weeps:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

@scenekiller got some issues? speak to your therapists or tell me about them right here right now, we'll work them out xx

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ngl this movie was great. I think nicholas cage deserves a oscar nom for his performance in this

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Out on VOD today! 

I'm sad I didn't really enjoy this as much as many of yall did. The twist was... certainly a twist that happened! 

:suburban:

I also hoped it would be scarier. Some of the moments with Longlegs made me flinch but there were too few of them.

And I didn't find it "unsettling" at all, except for the scenes when

Spoiler

Longlegs is in Lee's house and when Lee talks to him before he kills himself

The acting, cinematography and soundtrack were on point though :clap3: 

3/5

Edited by illia

This was just okay. Suspenseful, but not scary. Nicolas Cage's character was unnerving but that's all. Eh

Oh wow I liked this a lot. I wasnt sure what to expect after the hype, but I found it really intriguing. They did it a bit of a disservice with how the movie was pitched... this is definitely more about the suspense and build up, rather than outright scares. Anyway, I thought it was fascinating, but as usual promoting something as the ~scariest movie ever~ is always a set up lol.

Loved the Movie. Saw it twice and will see it again on wednesday. 

I watched it for the second time last night and i got anxious and paranoid again afterwards. I swear, they put something actual demonic in this movie. :cries: I don't understand how people can say that this movie is not scary. 

• Like 3

This movie was one of the creepiest movies I've seen. The sound design was what made it really scary. It got so loud during many scenes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meh. The first two thirds were really good. You never know where the movie takes you next but the third act was a disaster. I called tWiSt early on but the way this turned into a silly doll thing had me giggling. I was never really scared though. Had to walk home at night after watching it at a friends place and I was fine, bopping along to Addison Rae :rip: Also Nicolas Cage was a bit too silly with it. It felt like a cracked out Mrs. Doubtfire, not scary - just funny.

I watched "It Follows" in preparation for Longlegs because of the main actress and because I've never seen it before. Now THAT was scary! :jonny5:

• Like 2

This was bunch of nothing

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

the only memorable thing that happened when i watched this movie was how hard i was laughing when Nicholas Cage started singing :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.