Longlegs (2024) | Now slaying in theaters

genetic fail

I liked this. The twist :clap3: Cage's Longlegs serving creepy Buffalo Bill vibes :clap3:

And Blair Underwood's eternal hotness needs to be studied :-*

Edited by Hector

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncatena

• genetic fail

• illia

• ICLDXU4HS

6.5/10

Nicolas Cage was laughably bad. Almost ruins the movie. There was perhaps one instance where he came off as menacing. The Razzies better start engraving his trophy. They should have told him to act normally. He would have come across much creepier. 

Meanwhile, Alicia Witt was a triumph. Forgot she was in it until I saw the credits. Her first scene on camera seemed a bit rough but she only got better as the movie progressed. Maika was great throughout as expected. 

i think it was well made. definitely not as scary as i hoped :monkey:

The advertisements were kinda overhyped for this film. It's still good, though. 7/10.

with first weekend will be neon's 3rd film with $20 millon total, behind parasite and i tonya.

same year that civil war became a24's first $20 mil weekend. 

Idk I did think it was a masterpiece, and most of my friends are giving it 5 stars too. :michael:

It hit on a lot of my fears, and I started to feel a little panicky by the end. And I've watched some truly f'd up stuff. But I can understand why it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

Questions I have...

What was supposed to happen when he finished the triangle? Just general terror/mayhem?

If Longlegs was targeting families with a mom, dad, kids why did he pick the single mother and Lee?

She only couldn't remember her 9th birthday, so did she also never remember him living in the basement the rest of her childhood or her mom disappearing dressed as a nun with a giant box?

Edited by slik

I thought it was really menacing and dreadful in the best ways. Nicole cage really surprised me with his performance, the character Longlegs could have easily gone in the laughable territory but he made it really frightening

• Like 2

It was really really unsettling but I'm not sure if it was good or just okay.  I think my main issue with this is the hint at supernatural things being involved but you never really see it.  Like you can tell things are happening but there's no explanation as to how it all works or how it got started.  How did Longlegs come about, why the nickname, how did he gain this power, etc.  He's portrayed as very human in the movie and yet also not.

A box office hit ! 

• Like 1

I really liked this! But I can't help but wish they went even further and gorier. Terrific performances from everyone though :clap3:

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:49 PM, perfect blue said:

Anyone else think Longlegs' mug is lowkey serving Lana Del Rey?

first thing I thought when I saw the still of him in the car…

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Innocencelost said:

first thing I thought when I saw the still of him in the car…

Ok I'm glad it's not just me :rip: Genuinely not trying to be shady.

• Like 1

Yeah, this was disappointing. Especially the third act derailed it for me. The

Spoiler

Satanic

stuff? Imagine how tired we are of it.

The trailers and promo made it seem like it mostly builds on mood and atmosphere when it's actually very narrative-driven. It wants to be Prisoners with a horror edge, but somebody lied to her. It's a 6 or 6.5 for me at best.

1 hour ago, ICLDXU4HS said:

Yeah, this was disappointing. Especially the third act derailed it for me. The

Reveal hidden contents

Satanic

stuff? Imagine how tired we are of it.

The trailers and promo made it seem like it mostly builds on mood and atmosphere when it's actually very narrative-driven. It wants to be Prisoners with a horror edge, but somebody lied to her. It's a 6 or 6.5 for me at best.

It got pretty muddled in the last act indeed but I would still give it higher than 6.5 on acting and cinematography alone.
The script needed another round of edits to really deliver on the marketing promises.

The movie does live up to the hype in quality, but i think it will suffer the same problem as „Hereditary". Loved by film critics and a specific crowd of film fans, disappointing for a general audience. It's not the in-your-face kind of mainstream horror that a lot of people will expect, although it has one or two really great jump scares, it's more of a slow-building kind of horror that creeps up on you and lingers throughout the whole runtime.

There was one scene where i almost fell off my seat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I didn't personally love this, I'm glad it's smashing. Great sign for smaller/indie/non-Blumhouse horror

• Like 3

I would rate it a 4/5 :clap3: I found Cage's portrayal to be both extremely eerie and endearing simultaneously. Definitely one of the most refreshing horrors we've had in awhile. 

On 7/15/2024 at 6:09 PM, Kevin2803 said:

Spoiler

Which scene? :coffee:

Just came back from watching, I went with a group of friends and we all really enjoyed it.

I definitely expected a different type of movie from the trailers, mostly because there's so little info to go by you kind of have to build upon it on your own. But I felt it was pretty original overall. The atmosphere of the whole thing was horrible, like in a good way. I was tense the entire movie, with a sense of dread. I do think the marketing campaign might have failed the movie a bit because it makes it seem way more fast paced than it actually is, this is not a movie for casual movie goers or casual horror fans. It's a slow burn and there's a lot to digest. I think I need to give it another watch to really get everything. That being said, the cast did a fantastic job and the cinematography was stellar.

Also I feel like I need to go to church, say my prayers, and bathe in holy water tonight :dancehall2:

On 7/15/2024 at 5:09 PM, Kevin2803 said:

The movie does live up to the hype in quality, but i think it will suffer the same problem as „Hereditary". Loved by film critics and a specific crowd of film fans, disappointing for a general audience. It's not the in-your-face kind of mainstream horror that a lot of people will expect, although it has one or two really great jump scares, it's more of a slow-building kind of horror that creeps up on you and lingers throughout the whole runtime.

58 minutes ago, rebeltwat said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Yes which scene ?!

3 hours ago, rebeltwat said:
  Hide contents

2 hours ago, 305 said:

Hide contents

Yes which scene ?!

Spoiler

When she was looking at the pictures from her 9th birthday and there was this short flash of Longlegs from the beginning of the movie. I was punching the air. :ahh:

• Haha 2

I personally found this terrifying

• Like 1

I'd give this 3.5-4/5 for sure. I thought it was great, really atmospheric and definitely had moments where I was genuinely feeling scared in the cinema. My qualms that drop this down from being 5/5 are (spoilers);

I had absolutely no issues with the use of the occult in the film, I like the fact they highlighted that when Longlegs was in police custody he was, for all intents and purposes, innocent. And basically I think the twist of her mum being his accomplice would have been more impactful if rather than it being the dolls he was making were able to possess these family members, it was just that she was the one doing the murders. I'm not necessarily ever against supernatural elements in a movie, but I don't think they were necessary in this movie. It would have been more straightforward if the twist was she was able to convince him to spare her and her daughter if she did his dirty work for him in the sense of just doing the murders herself. In an otherwise straight forward murder-mystery crime thriller/horror, I found demon possessed copycat dolls to be a little far fetched.

But still a fantastic movie all round which I thoroughly enjoyed. :clap3: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.