Justin Timberlake - 'Everything I Thought It Was'

KatyPrismSpirit

Imagination should have been the first single. It is very radio friendly upbeat and good. 

selfish was such a terrible choice. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Facelessboy

• Johnny Cash

• Starkboy

• KatyPrismSpirit

I can’t believe we are THIS CLOSE :duca:

On 3/10/2024 at 8:30 AM, sam.teas said:

Hide contents

Little disclaimer: This brief review is intentionally empty of explicit spoilers, as I prefer to maintain a certain level of ambiguity in my comments to avoid potential controversies. Also, this was my first experience with an album by Justin Timberlake, and I want to emphasise that this comment is driven by my personal opinion and does not intend to offend or disrespect his fans and his music choices and productions.

At the moment, I cannot claim to be entirely satisfied with the album, and I still find it difficult to fully immerse myself, or at least mostly, in its content, perhaps due to its length or because it requires time to be fully appreciated. Overall, the album offers a musically and lyrically valid construction, although in some parts, there are noticeable slowdowns due to the content and subject matter (love, passion, hate and fun). It is an album that demonstrates a high degree of inspiration, clearly showcasing talent and the desire to express it fully in the final work, especially through lyrical creativity. However, the length of the record might be an important and "critical" element, with some parts feeling heavy or too slow, causing a sense of "regression" in listening. But, beyond this detail, it's normal to feel too young for this sound, as the album blends elements typical of the last decades of the last century with the innovations of current productions, such as reverberations and electronic background vocals (as seen in Memphis and No Angels). The adoption of this sound approach might initially generate a sense of inadequacy, as I personally experienced, but it could\can diminish with further listens. The emotionally engaging tracks are numerous and capable of capturing the listener's attention, alternating between soft and slow moments to exciting and fresh ones, and moments of lyrical and productive sensuality. Debatable, in my opinion, is the choice of singles and their order: it's clearly a matter of marketing decisions, preferences, and record label's influence, but personally, I would have preferred replacing Drown with My Favourite Drug. At the moment, I am unable to provide a definitive judgment on the album, but I can say that it is a pleasant, complex, and sharp work.

What kind of ChatGPT essay is this :bibliahh:

• Haha 1

I haven't been listening the lastest snippets just to get a surprise :duca:

The ‘Paradise’ snippet has me in my feelings! 

Korean Drama Crying GIF by Netflix K-Content

Perched for Imagination and My Favorite Drug. Those are the best songs based on the snippets so far.

23 minutes ago, tomo said:

:duca:

:jonny5: Infinity Sex is EVERYTHING (I Thought It Was). All the Calvin Harris songs Fuckin' Up The Disco and No Angels are already my faves.

I didn't realise Calvin had credits on this.

Man Of The Woods wasn't great in comparison to FS/LS & 20/20 but for sure had some career highlights (Higher Higher etc.)

Can't wait to listen. The backlash against him is so tired lol.

Edited by Cottonmouth

this literally might be his best album wtf

literally so many amazing songs 

Yeah this belongs with 20/20 and FS/LS in his album trinity, only issue is there being some filler, but they’re not bad like the filler on MOTW and Justified.

Paradise should’ve been the cute *NSYNC reunion moment and not Better Place :bibliahh:

FUTD :WAP:  the album in general is still a bit bloated and sometimes feels rehashed of the same old JT tunes but it's still miles better than MOTW. the narrative would have been so different if he followed up 20/20 with this tbh :'( 

Edited by truthteller

Why does it feel like nobody is talking about this album? :rip: Will give it a listen nonetheless cause I really loved Selfish

Edited by Riverbank

Is it already possible to listen to it?

Technicolor is probably my fav track on first listen. Flame is a cute throwback that I need

Selfish is clearly the most radio friendly song here.

Edited by rmmas

This album is on the same level as 20/20, imagine he released this in 2018 instead of MOTW:WAP:

• ATRL Moderator

not feeling it after first listen. lotta cringe lyrics, no depth, no substance, lots of filler, sounds like a grown man tryna relive his youth

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JustRelax said:

This album is on the same level as 20/20, imagine he released this in 2018 instead of MOTW:WAP:

with his Superbowl performance 

1 hour ago, Riverbank said:

Why does it feel like nobody is talking about this album? :rip: Will give it a listen nonetheless cause I really loved Selfish

Well, because it's not out yet in my country, like 75% of the World !

After first listening in no particular order my faves so far >>

Flame

Drown

F**kin' up the disco

Sanctified

My favorite drug

No angels

Liar

:gaycat2:

Don’t get why no one is reacting to his new album here. JT never disappoints in music. At first listen, it’s such a cohesive and great album. It’s everything I though it would be 🔥🔥🔥

F****** Up The Disco and Liar are the ones who stand up for me

the rest....meh. sound like discards from his older albums even tho he said he wrote about 100 songs for it.

Paradise is cool but i feel like there is something missing to smash it... kinda bland

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.