"Our community"??? You are on your own.

Distantconstellation

1 minute ago, playwithme said:

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The broader gay community (especially the terminally online stan community bubble) is insufferable. I don't want to associate with this, and I have nothing in common with them.       

I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight because a genocide-supporting dupe didn't want to associate with me 

• Thanks 2

I mean Gays have just one thing in common that they should support each other which is discrimination 

But everyone is different and expecting support just because your gay from other gays in something like music or something external is completely ridiculous 

Edited by Trent W

This kinda reeks of privilege in a way to me idk… The community is how some queer people find a family when they’re not accepted by their own. It’s not there to make sure we have a unified opinion on absolutely everything. 

The community and coming together helped get us human rights. The community was the only one fighting for us when we were all dying of AIDS. So to say that it’s a gen z pipe dream utopia is ignorant. 

• Like 4

you could’ve just commented in that person’s thread baby

• Like 1

Wow this thread made me so sad for some of y'all. Hopefully you'll find your people one day. :psyduck:

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 1

I think you are taking the use of "our community" too seriously.

Just because someone mentions you should show support for your community, does not mean that the same community is owed support in every way without stipulation. You still get to decide who to support and I've not heard of anyone trying to forcibly change that.

The OP does not cite examples, so it's hard to respond to it. But I don't think I've ever once heard anyone say that George Santos should be supported by the gays just because he's gay. In fact, most gays dislike him and even ridicule him and and many are fine with that. If people have said we should support him because he's part of "our community" then that would be a very minority opinion I personally have never encountered.

Inversely, there has been a pattern where gay actors or gay singers don't get the automatic support from the gays that the gays give to women. In part this is just because I think women offer a sort of fantasy a gay man does not, but the other part is a sort of cynical sizing up of another gay. I also think that as it has been for so long, we've had very few positive gay representation, so when we get any, we are harsher on it relative to our desire for it to be a certain kind of way we want.

Regardless, to think that we are "on our own" and there is no community nor should there be communal support is backwards and forgets that all the progress and rights we have today would be NOTHING had we not had community. A bunch of queers seperately demanding respect and love would have gotten nowhere. We absolutely need to support our community, as the community should support us in return. This does not mean putting aside your political beliefs just to further the career of some horrible gay politician. It does not mean you need to listen to every bisexual's album or buy tickets to queer films if you really are not interested in it. It means that we are sort of in this together, and that no one will fight and support us more than we can fight for and support ourselves. So..."our community" is very much real and we should not look at it as we are on our own. Individually, if you want to do that, go ahead, but don't be surprised if eventually you feel alone and unsupported by any community yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something i forgot to add :giraffe:

I hate so much how political talk and all those politicals parties have invaded our community and divided everything in the last years
I also hate how they have absolute control over our future and we are just used as pawns for their agendas and we dont wake up. Some people fall to it
I honestly believe in the community and their future but is hard for me to trust in politicians. At least like 90-95% of them
Dont get why it happens....but politics bring the worst kind of humans to power. They can be gay and they can be awful too :gaycat3:
xoxo

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, playwithme said:

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The broader gay community (especially the terminally online stan community bubble) is insufferable. I don't want to associate with this, and I have nothing in common with them.       

I don't know why you keep reiterating that you don't associate yourself with the gay community as if it's relevant to the topic at hand or anyone cares in the slightest.

1 hour ago, visions said:

This kinda reeks of privilege in a way to me idk… The community is how some queer people find a family when they’re not accepted by their own. It’s not there to make sure we have a unified opinion on absolutely everything. 

The community and coming together helped get us human rights. The community was the only one fighting for us when we were all dying of AIDS. So to say that it’s a gen z pipe dream utopia is ignorant. 

Very that.

The queer people i've connected with in my adult life have been instrumental in my survival. No joke. And I imagine this is the same case for plenty of people. Community doesnt just mean you have to like and/or befriend every LGBT person you meet like... :rip:

Here’s the thing… this “support” you are talking about never existed outside maybe 10% of people who actually rehabilitate, volunteer, donate, or support those in need. Typing it out does nothing , so really you are complaining about people performing who are actually doing nothing very loudly.

everyone I’ve met in person that has actually supported me as a gay man with my issues directly related to my

sexuality don’t say a word about it to anyone else 

Edited by Mornings

stan her magnum opus

5 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Y’all seem to be assuming that a “community” means everyone agrees and is close with each other. I just take LGBT community as meaning a lot of us do share similar experiences, similar interests, and similar struggles. It’s much more common to share similar interests with a gay man than a straight for me at least. If you’re expecting no gay men to disagree with you or no gay people to be shitty people then that’s unrealistic. 

Since people on here are absolutely dumb as ****, thank you for explaining this to them :cm:

Aside from the one I physically live and work in, I don't subscribe to these concepts of "community." I've never felt embraced by the "communities" I'm considered to be in.

Cameltoe Chariot
7 hours ago, Distantconstellation said:

Whats up with a lot of gays always going on about "our community" and thinking just because someone is lgbtq they should be supported. Yeah it doesnt work that way. I would not support someone like Pette Buttigieg because hes a corporate dem and his beliefs are not it.  Him being gay makes no difference to me. 

7 hours ago, Josh said:

There is no such thing as a community for gay men. If we were a community gay men wouldn't be rejecting other men for being bi, trans, a person of color etc.

7 hours ago, Distantconstellation said:

Or fat, bald, old, broke, homeless, etc.

7 hours ago, Breathe On Moi said:

I agree, specially when the kink/sex in public crowd on ATRL tried to shame people for not being ok with them wanting to be butt ass naked in the streets around kids…”you have to support your own community!!11!!1!1” 

CcQxaM9.gif

Hate to break it to y'all but being gay doesn't automatically make you an interesting or desirable person. Somebody lied to you several times if you think that "community" means everyone gets along, shares beliefs and finds each other attractive :ace: the whole f*cking point of the "gay community" was to stick together and support each other socially and politically, because we're a tiny percentage of the world at large and the vast majority owes us nothing.

Joe and Jane Doe might be allies, but they're straight and married and vote for their interests/rights at the ballot box. We rely on our community to advocate for our rights and provide support/resources. Don't like kink at pride? Then don't participate. But don't disregard the importance of these freedoms when the straights are doing the exact same thing in Vegas and every other major city with zero repercussions.

Don't blame everyone else for your bad experiences. I love my community, and if you think you're above it then so be it - just don't let the door hit you on your way out :coffee2:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Y’all seem to be assuming that a “community” means everyone agrees and is close with each other. I just take LGBT community as meaning a lot of us do share similar experiences, similar interests, and similar struggles. It’s much more common to share similar interests with a gay man than a straight for me at least. If you’re expecting no gay men to disagree with you or no gay people to be shitty people then that’s unrealistic. 

Very this. I feel like the sense of “community” is more about us at least supporting our personal rights to be who we are. There is a certain aspect that we have in common but that’s about it. In any sort of community people will have different goals, views, backgrounds, etc.

We don’t necessarily have to go out of our way to support someone if we don’t care for whatever it is that they’re doing (see Lil Nas X’s latest single) but at the same time I will support his right to express himself and his sexuality however he sees fit. Some of yall don’t go around other LGBTQ+ people and it shows. Yes. There will be some stuck up individuals. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t others out there who aren’t mean. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

CcQxaM9.gif

Hate to break it to y'all but being gay doesn't automatically make you an interesting or desirable person. Somebody lied to you several times if you think that "community" means everyone gets along, shares beliefs and finds each other attractive :ace: the whole f*cking point of the "gay community" was to stick together and support each other socially and politically, because we're a tiny percentage of the world at large and the vast majority owes us nothing.

Joe and Jane Doe might be allies, but they're straight and married and vote for their interests/rights at the ballot box. We rely on our community to advocate for our rights and provide support/resources. Don't like kink at pride? Then don't participate. But don't disregard the importance of these freedoms when the straights are doing the exact same thing in Vegas and every other major city with zero repercussions.

Don't blame everyone else for your bad experiences. I love my community, and if you think you're above it then so be it - just don't let the door hit you on your way out :coffee2:

lol ok 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.