Laptop specs help (computer wiz’s I need ya)

Junho_lover

Hello,

I am new to laptop gaming, and want something budge friendly. I do not mind much if the fps is 30, etc.

I am debating these two for a game like Cyberpunk 2077, or dead island 2 etc ( I am okay with not using Ultra settings). Are these two models good choices for me?

Asus Vivobook 16X ryzen 5 7530u /Amd Raedeon /16GB ram

Or

HP Pavilion 15 i5 /Geforce RTX 4050/ 16GB ram

i can get Vivobook for about 200 dollars less right now, what do you guys recommend ? Thanks in advance!

get the HP, you will not be able to play those games with the Asus as it's not a gaming laptop

• Like 1

Check sites like https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/ where you can enter specs and see which games they support. There are also a lot of sites where you can compare specs of specific laptop models to each other that would be useful. 

Also try asking in https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/ or r/GamingLaptop, they'll prob be more helpful than us here

• Like 1

The HP one seems better. Make sure your laptop has an SSD, it makes a HUGE difference in performance.

here's the thing: either you get a desktop or you'll have to use low/medium/custom quality graphic settings for those AAA games and hope for the best (it usually sucks since i rather watch other people play beautiful games than play ugly ones myself, especially Cyberpunk which is graphically demanding)

still want a laptop for some reason? youtube is your best friend to show you if a game you'd like to play can run good enough with a pair of cpu and gpu. key words are something like: [game] + [cpu] + [gpu] + laptop. for eg. Cyberpunk i5 (numbers) 4050 or Cyberpunk 7530u + (gpu model)

reddit is also a good place to ask if a pair of that is good or not.

good luck. js ive been there before

:suburban:

• Like 1

If you want decent gaming on laptop, find something with atleast 100+ watts rtx 4060 gpu and 16gb memory. Or you can always buy older gen pc with 3070/3080 gpus. Those are still better than pcs with 4050

I’m on my third gaming laptop.

I recommend checking ASUS ROG lineup, they should have a budget model.

From the two you listed go with HP.

Three things I look for in a gaming laptop: SSD, Intel processor, NVIDIA graphics card.

I would also recommend investing in a monitor down the road.

MacBook Pro 16GB (Apple Silicone Version) + GeForceNow 

You will thank me later :giraffe:

• Like 1

That 4050 will sink your performances to the pit. For Cyberpunk, 4060TI and higher. Or, you can always consider the 30XX line but once again, above 3060 and preferably 3080.

Note that gaming laptop tend to die much quicker than any other PC, because they tend to overheat so it’s not always a safe bet. You may find yourself putting 2K on a laptop that could die in a month. Happened to me.

Edited by jadeabove

The HP looks like it has better specs for gaming however I’ve hear awful things about HP builds

12 minutes ago, Nintendoes said:

This.

GeForceNow literally shits on everything mentioned here if you have decent internet.

I run Cyberpunk max settings at 4K with Raytracing/Pathtracing and it gets a solid 60+fps. :giraffe:

1 hour ago, jadeabove said:

That 4050 will sink your performances to the pit. For Cyberpunk, 4060TI and higher. Or, you can always consider the 30XX line but once again, above 3060 and preferably 3080.

Note that gaming laptop tend to die much quicker than any other PC, because they tend to overheat so it’s not always a safe bet. You may find yourself putting 2K on a laptop that could die in a month. Happened to me.

Omg this just scared me… lol i don’t want it to die so fast oO

4 hours ago, Mr. Peanutbutter said:

Make sure your laptop has an SSD, it makes a HUGE difference in performance

Girl it’s 2024

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’d recommend keeping your current laptop and paying for GeForce Now if you have good internet.  IMO buying a gaming laptop only makes sense if it’s at least mid-range due to how quickly these things die, I’d even recommend buying or building your own desktop tower for gaming over buying an entry level gaming laptop.  

1 hour ago, Jaimon said:

If you get this, make sure there‘s a warranty of a year. On paper it looks good.

• ATRL Moderator

I can't comment too much on the individual laptops you provided since I do not do PC gaming whatsoever. However, I would personally recommend getting a desktop tower setup if you're going into PC gaming. The modularity of a desktop tower is invaluable for PC gaming because the components advance so quickly and being able to swap in new RAM or a new GPU is an amazing advantage. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 9:32 PM, jadeabove said:

I ended up going with an i5-1200f + rtx 3060 16GB ram Desktop :x my first ever desktop lol. Videos online seemed to be ok for running games at 1080p 

It’s acceptable. You may always change your CPU going forward for as long as your motherboard allows it. There’s a lot of bottleneck possible with rigs that are limited by a weak motherboard or CPU. It was a problem for previous consoles. The RAM tends to have more flexibility, but there are limitations as well. The more you know, the less you realize you know.

On 1/16/2024 at 7:24 AM, Nintendoes said:

Maybe this, but make sure you have a good network connection & the games you want to play are compatible… otherwise get a good desktop because you can get more for your money.

Edited by nadiamendell

Wait so what did you end up doing, OP?

I have a gaming laptop and I love it, and have been PC gaming for decades; I believe I can also speak to the specs a bit — but not if you've already bought something. I would echo not getting a 4050 though. These 050 cards are trash, be it 3000s or 4000s...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.