Taylor is bigger than the entire jazz, classical, and Christian genres in the US

Carry My Heart

Taylor_swift_eras_tour1024x450-1.jpg?w=1024&h=450&crop=1

Taylor Swift was last year’s most-streamed artist globally on Spotify, achieving more than 26.1 billion global streams on the platform. Meanwhile, over in the world’s largest recorded music market, the United States, Swift’s music was responsible for 1 in every 78 on-demand audio streams in the market last year. That’s according to fresh data from US market monitor Luminate (formerly MRC Data / Nielsen Music), which published its Year-End report for 2023 last week.

Food for thought: If Swift were a record label – which, by owning her own recorded music copyrights (post-Big Machine era), she kind of is – that ‘1 in 78’ stat would equate to her claiming a US market share of audio streams of 1.28% in 2023. That’s a bigger audio streaming market share than both the entire Jazz (0.8%) and Classical (0.9%) genres, according to Luminate data, as well as the entire ‘Children’s’ genre (1.1%).

The US market’s total annual on-demand audio streams grew 12.7% YoY to reach 1.2 trillion in 2023. That means Taylor Swift’s music was responsible for over 15.3 billion streams in the United States last year. Luminate reports that Swift’s music made up 1.79% of the entire US recorded music market (this metric includes Total Albums w/ TEA w/ SEA On-Demand Audio). To put the scale of Swift’s 1.79% US market share into context, according to Luminate’s report, the entire Classical music genre had a 0.9% share of the US market in 2023 (Albums + TEA + SEA On-Demand Audio). The Jazz genre, meanwhile, had a 1% share, while the Christian/Gospel genre had a 1.7% share.

Read the full report by Music Business Worldwide here

well, yes!

She's her own genre :heart:

Honestly I’m surprised Jazz is still almost as big as her at this point. I expected “children” to be much bigger though, those toddlers are relentless streaming farms. 

• Like 1

Tbh those genres have always been very niche so it’s not really a big deal that a pop star is bigger than those said genres I guess.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Honestly I’m surprised Jazz is still almost as big as her at this point. I expected “children” to be much bigger though, those toddlers are relentless streaming farms. 

Baby Shark is the hit of the decade, lol 

19 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Tbh those genres have always been very niche so it’s not really a big deal that a pop star is bigger than those said genres I guess.

Idk

i don’t think a pop star has been bigger than those genres before. 
1.8% of the market would be over 25m album sales a year around 2000 in the US. 
Even Eminem or Britney weren’t doing that. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Kodak Energy said:

Idk

did the media even make statements for stars like this tho?

especially not for stars from genres that weren't respected back then, like pop and rap

17 minutes ago, Kodak Energy said:

Idk

Ok but too be fair the average person doesn’t know who these jazz or classical artist are unless you a big fan of those genres. Especially compared to people like Britney or Eminem who the gp does know. 

10 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

especially not for stars from genres that weren't respected back then, like pop and rap

"The media"? Luminate is a data company that's existed for over 30 years and its subsidiary Nielsen Music has published year-end reports like this every year since. Additionally, the magazine whose article I linked is an industry publication.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

This is cold hard data straight from Luminate.

No statement like this was made because no single artist was dominating the culture so much that they make up 1% of the total markets hare.

Your precious fave was getting stomped hard by fellow teenyboppers like Nsync and BSB during her peak let alone being dominant enough to outsell entire genres. So, sorry if there wes no impressive headline like this for media.. ahem...*tabloids* to run. Can't fake what doesn't exist.

Edited by Miss Americana
  • Thanks 1

Taylor is "Children's" music. Exact same audience.   And are older Jazz and Classical fans even on Spotify? That's not a surprise if the demo skews younger.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

This is why she's The Music Industry while your flop faves are not :heart: the standard. 

The GP is so tasteless it's insane :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

In 2023*. Misleading thread

Cameltoe Chariot

And Mcdonald's served over 69 million people in 2023!

giphy-copy.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

Taylor is "Children's" music. Exact same audience.   And are older Jazz and Classical fans even on Spotify? That's not a surprise if the demo skews younger.  

But people here swore up and down that Millennials were her main demographic. Now she's the children's darling and ruling the teen demo? Oh the multigenerational appeal :jonny:

• Like 1

her power is insane 

1 hour ago, Miss Americana said:

This is cold hard data straight from Luminate.

No statement like this was made because no single artist was dominating the culture so much that they make up 1% of the total markets hare.

Your precious fave was getting stomped hard by fellow teenyboppers like Nsync and BSB during her peak let alone being dominant enough to outsell entire genres. So, sorry if there wes no impressive headline like this for media.. ahem...*tabloids* to run. Can't fake what doesn't exist.

The way you always get so defensive over a little comment like mine

saying anything other than praise for your fav

:ahh:

Your/our fav was looking up to Mine and has tributed her several times!

now stay mad

• Like 1

That's not surprising. It doesn't really say much about her or about jazz, classical, or Christian-based music.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.