Israel-Palestine Conflict 2023/ 2024 Mega Thread

Ryan

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoul said:

I'm honestly not sure if Israel was bombing Gaza from 3 May 2023 to October 7th(ceasfire period) if you have some sources for that would like to know.

I am putting here a Washington Post article from October because I know that some western readers like to dismiss Al-Zazeera as biased. Note I am only highlighting the parts with attacks on Palestinians by the IDF because thats what you asked for.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/07/israel-gaza-violence-conflict-faq/

September: Growing fears of all-out conflict

Just last month, Israel and Hamas, the Palestinian militant group that rules Gaza, appeared to be on the brink of war. Israeli border agents found explosive material hidden in a shipment of jeans and halted all exports from the Gaza Strip.

Hamas put its forces on high alert and held field exercises with other armed groups, including Palestinian Islamic Jihad. The drills included practice rocket launches, ambushes and the “storming” of settlements, local media in Gaza reported, in an apparent preview of the attacks launched on Saturday.

Hamas also allowed Palestinians to begin protesting again along the separation fence between Israel and Gaza, where young demonstrators have faced off against Israeli soldiers. On Sept. 13, five Palestinians were killed when they attempted to detonate an explosive at the barrier wall.

“It has been quiet, but it is beginning to boil,” Basem Naim, head of Hamas’s Political and International Relations Department, said in an interview with The Washington Post in September. “There is a lot of pressure under the water.”

The tensions in Gaza followed a violent summer in the West Bank, where ***-for-tat attacks flared between Palestinian militants on one side and Israeli forces and Jewish settlers on the other.

Israel staged multiple military raids in the city of Jenin, where it said militants were planning attacks on Israeli troops and civilians. On June 19, Israeli forces raided Jenin and killed at least five Palestinians, deploying Apache helicopters in the West Bank for the first time since the second intifada, or Palestinian uprising, which lasted from 2000 to 2005.

The next day, Hamas gunmen opened fire at a hummus restaurant outside Eli, an Israeli settlement in the West Bank, killing four Israelis. And on June 21, hundreds of Israeli settlers rampaged through Palestinian villages — including Turmus Ayya, where one person was killed — torching homes and cars, as well as shooting at residents, according to Turmus Ayya mayor Lafi Adeeb.

Israel then also carried out its first drone strike in the West Bank since 2006, killing three suspected militants. On July 3, Israel’s military launched its biggest operation there in more than two decades, staging an air and ground attack on a refugee camp in Jenin with roughly 1,000 soldiers.

Israeli officials said they were targeting a militant “command center” in an operation that marked the start of an “extensive counterterrorism effort” that the Israel Defense Forces said would continue indefinitely. At least eight people were killed and 80 injured, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.

You mention only the ceasefire period from May to October but Israel wasn't being silent during other ceasefire periods lol.

Spring violence flares in Gaza and the West Bank

Before Israel’s massive operation in Jenin in July, its security forces shot and killed a 14-year-old boy on a bicycle as they pursued two Palestinian militants in March. The Post created a 3D reconstruction of the raid by synchronizing and reviewing dozens of videos from March 16, when the incident took place, as well as speaking to witnesses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2023/israel-palestinians-raids-west-bank/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_35

In early April, during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Palestinian worshipers at al-Aqsa barricaded themselves inside the mosque. Israeli police then stormed the site in the Old City of Jerusalem and used “stun grenades and tear gas, fired sponge-tipped bullets, and indiscriminately beat Muslim worshipers — including elderly people and women — with batons and rifle butts,” the U.N. Human Rights Office said in a statement.

About a month later, Israel launched surprise airstrikes in Gaza targeting leaders of the Islamic Jihad militant organization, which is backed by Iran. The strikes killed three top militants and 10 others, according to Palestinian health officials, including four women and four children. Israel carried out the strikes a week after it reached a cease-fire with Palestinian armed factions. The Israel Defense Forces said the three senior Islamic Jihad members who were killed were responsible for recent rocket fire and attacks against Israelis.

The strikes set off a five-day bout of violence that killed at least 33 people in Gaza and two people in Israel. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloröx

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

• Aethereal

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

You really like twisting one’s words, huh? I didn’t say that at all.

I support a free palestine and I strognly condemn Israel’s actions. I’m just hoping they can at least eradicate Hamas, which in the long run would be the best for palestinians.

I didn’t know that wishing for the eradication of a terrorist group was something controversial smh

Genuine question: why do you think Hamas was formed in the first place? What actions may have caused a Palestinian resistance to form?

And as a follow up: Do you think carpet bombing an entire nation will… lead to a different outcome? Or just Hamas 2.0?

• Haha 1

Can we discuss how extremely dehumanizing this argument of civilians being "war fodder" or "human shields" is....

like ur basically saying yeahhhh its sad all these ppl died as a side-product but it was necessary idk *shrugs*

Edited by naomi24

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

Do you think carpet bombing an entire nation will… lead to a different outcome? Or just Hamas 2.0?

:hippo: right....? As if their policy of bombing the region all these years hasn't led to the situation we have right now.

5 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Taking refugees would basically mean Palestinians would be permanent exiles.

:katie::katie::katie:

Yeah... Has happened to the Rohingyas who tried to escape their genocide in Myanmar. Half a million of them now live in makeshift refugee/concentration camps on the Bangladesh border.

idk if anybody posted this?

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/10/12/israel-white-phosphorus-used-gaza-lebanon

These recent phosphorus attacks were first reported by Human Rights Watch ^

FYI --->

White phosphorus munitions are not banned under international law, but because of their incendiary effects, their use is supposed to be tightly regulated.[71] The definition in Article 1 of Protocol III of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons excludes multipurpose munitions, particularly those containing white phosphorus. 

White phosphorus ignites when interacting with oxygen, releasing a large amount of smoke during combustion. The military can use the curtain to mask troop movements. However, the chemical characteristics of the substance make phosphorus bombs especially dangerous: the burning temperature of phosphorus is 800–2500 °C; it sticks to various surfaces, including skin and clothes; the burning substance is difficult to extinguish. White phosphorus can cause deep burns down to the bones, and remnants of the substance in the tissues can ignite again after the initial treatment. It is difficult for military doctors, who are usually limited by medical resources, to provide timely and full assistance to the victims. Even burn survivors can die from organ failure due to the toxicity of white phosphorus. In addition, fires caused by incendiary projectiles can destroy civilian buildings and property, and damage crops and livestock. Humanitarian organizations such as Human Rights Watch are calling on governments to include phosphorus warheads under the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons.[71][72][73][74]

Despite the danger, for 2022 the Chemical Weapons Convention did not classify phosphorus bombs as such. Non-governmental international organizations have recorded their use during military conflicts in Syria, Afghanistan, the Gaza Strip, and other war zones. However, the use of phosphorus bombs near populated areas or civilians is still a war crime, as humanitarian law requires military attacks to be selective. The command is obliged to distinguish between civilians and soldiers, as well as civilian and military objects, which is impossible when using such projectiles in populated areas.

Watching MSNBC right now is such a mindfuck because they (especially in the morning/early afternoon hours) are doing the absolute MOST carrying water for Isreal and basically being state media for Netanyahu and it's like....aren't yall supposed to be the PROGRESSIVES in US's media landscape?

Literally saw some dude say we're all just going to have to get over the casualities because that's what war is all about. On MSNBC. I had to shut the **** off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAP said:

This is the most effective thing people can do. Boycotting Starbucks or McDonalds because a CEO is a big Israel advocate can move the needle, but how much it does is limited by then the overwhelming number of tech giants and weapons producers working with Israel.

CIA agents are being called in to spy on the actions of groups like Palestine Action doing protests and blockades at weapons manufacturers so no one can work is where the pain is really felt.

Edited by Communion
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Israeli’s watching Gaza being bombed and cheering 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJESM7XN/

When you see a great number of both of them cheering each others' deaths how are you going to make a single state with both them in? This is definitely more serious and complicated than South Africa. Jews should have founded their state in some empty land of former British Empire, not in Palestine.

Repeated calls from international NGOs, UN and UNICEF but the main-players in the world aren't concerned with pressing Israel into a #Ceasefire.

Ridiculous.

Edited by naomi24

2 hours ago, naomi24 said:

Reddit has to be kidding me because I got a "violent" content warning for saying that i personally believe anybody being pro-israel rn should be locked up in a room without internet like the citizens of Gaza on Sunday.

Mind you it was in a discussion where i was asking anime fans not to make fuckass Attack on Titan memes about the conflict. :rip::rip::rip:

don't even bother with reddit, that place is astroturf central

Edited by Mocha

The UN is so useless right now :/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mocha said:

don't even bother with reddit, that place is astroturf central

No but it's seriously ridiculous because that's the only clearly pro Palestine comment I made and not only did it get removed , I got content warning.

And nobody moderated posts of other people saying braindead stuff like " ohhhh but..anime is art with so many life lessons.. we can draw so many parallels between this anime war and Israel palestine... let us interpret it as as we want...stop moral policing us!!  :deadbanana2:

• Like 1

There better be some Nuremberg trial style hearings after this for the IDF. BUT YEAH THERE PROBABLY WONT and the best that will happen will be like 25 years from now the new generation of Israelis might recognize their parents crimes against humanity and acknowledge that they’re on other peoples land and go on about their day. 

42 minutes ago, Communion said:

This is the most effective thing people can do. Boycotting Starbucks or McDonalds because a CEO is a big Israel advocate doesn't do anything material. CIA agents are being called in to spy on the actions of groups like Palestine Action doing protests and blockades at weapons manufacturers so no one can work is where the pain is really felt.

We do boycotting McDonald's/ Starbucks here and three weeks since that they start making huge promo like 80% discounts and more buy 1 free 1, and people people still not buying it :gaycat7:

:clack:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

When you see a great number of both of them cheering each others' deaths how are you going to make a single state with both them in? This is definitely more serious and complicated than South Africa. Jews should have founded their state in some empty land of former British Empire, not in Palestine.

I don’t think it’s possible considering what they are doing. They are making things worse

3 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

We do boycotting McDonald's/ Starbucks here and three weeks since that they start making huge promo like 80% discounts and more buy 1 free 1, and people people still not buying it :gaycat7:

:clack:

That's good to hear. Let me retract the harshness of what I said. It's not my place to diminish those efforts. There's value in people making conscious choices with the Palestinian people in mind, and not everyone is able to put themselves in a situation where they land on an FBI watchlist. 

It just feels important to emphasize what actions the US and Five Eyes apparatus are working overtime to avoid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aristotle said:

The Sabra and Shatila massacre refers to the 1982 killings of between 460 and 3,500 civilians—mostly Palestinians and Lebanese Shias—in the city of Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War. It was perpetrated by the Lebanese Forces, one of the main Christian militias in Lebanon, under the command of Lebanese politician Elie Hobeika. The killings were carried out in Beirut's Sabra neighbourhood and in the adjacent Shatila refugee camp. Two days earlier, on 14 September, Lebanese politician Bachir Gemayel had been assassinated, prompting the Phalangists to call for a revenge attack.

:confused:

You do realized that IDF also part of the massacre, right?

• Thanks 1

Jews should've founded their state in almost empty Tasmania or some part of Australia. The amount of lives that would have been saved.  

12 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Jews should've founded their state in almost empty Tasmania or some part of Australia. The amount of lives that would have been saved.  

Lol the Britishers proposed territory in Uganda to Zionists in 1900s but they refused to accept it because the ultimate aim of Zionism was to go back to the jewish "homeland" or "holy land" which is in Jerusalem.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.