Israel-Palestine Conflict 2023/ 2024 Mega Thread

Ryan

1 hour ago, Communion said:

So something that is not being offered? So in any actual scenario that could happen, one party will be forced to accept conditions they do no like, and I'm confused why you're so eager to throw your force behind making that Palestinians and not the Israelis. 

A Palestinian state would be giving Palestinians "it all"? What? You're not engaging with the actual question about the contradictions you and others present for your logic. Even when white South Africans were forced to live alongside non-white South Africans as equal, South African society itself still remains largely unequal *in the favor of* white South Africans. Same for Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. This is what's confusing about the rhetoric being used.

The international community is being asked to accept that 1) Israelis are simply too large of a population to not have their own state but also 2) that, even if the international community entertained backing a 1SP, we're told it'd be lining up Israelis to slaughter, complete subjugation, "letting the victim become the victimizer". And that.. just doesn't make sense? If a white micro-minority couldn't be subjugated under an equal South Africa, why would a large non-Arab population living in Palestine?

It feels like you're creating a theoretical problem (claims that Non-Arab Jews would be subjugated in a one state Palestine) to then invent a theoretical conflict ("you're giving Palestinians EVERYTHING! Just because you're a victim doesn't mean you can make others SUFFERS!"). How would Israelis suffer under a one state Palestine?

Quotes like the below feel like, despite claiming to be very serious about this, you're still reflexively trolling and unserious:

Why do Palestinians have to pay for the crimes of others? How is it Palestinians' fault that Jewish communities across the MENA were victim to mass retaliatory violence following the Nakba? Let alone that every expert on Levant geopolitics has suggested all 2SS plans will effectively be a one state Israel that will continually lead to ethnic cleansing? In function, Israel's existence manifests and leads to the unfolding of ethnic cleansing of Palestinians. There's no apparent scenario where it doesn't.

That's why this below statement is.. wild:

*I'm* not opposing anything. I'm accepting that the vast majority of Palestinians oppose living under the subjugation of Israel at this point and not deluding myself that the majority of Palestinians and their autonomy to accept subjugation or not is somehow discreditable if you or another user or myself call them Islamists or terrorists enough times.

Nobody said Palestinians have to suffer because of the faults that other Muslims did.  I was simply mentioning that, as a fact since you brought Western colonizer vs Muslims scenario yourself, and that in most cases in history the victims did not reclaim all of their land loss or genocide even when the victimizer is a Muslim. A peace agreement for the sake of future of the Palestinians.

I would say the same to Ukraine if they were much weaker to handle Russia. (perhaps if Trump plugs out all the help in 2025)

Girl, apartheid in Rhodesia ended 40 years ago there are much bigger problems in Africa now and it was way less violent than Palestinian crisis. Let it go. 

Edited by Aristotle

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloröx

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

• Aethereal

52 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Nobody said Palestinians have to suffer because of the faults that other Muslims did.  I was simply mentioning that as a fact since you brought Western colonizer vs Muslims scenario yourself and that in most cases in history the victims did not reclaim all of their land loss or genocide even when the victimizer is a Muslim. A peace agreement for the sake of future of the Palestinians.

I would say the same to Ukraine if they were much weaker to handle Russia. 

Girl, apartheid in Rhodesia ended 40 years ago there are much bigger problems in Africa now and it was way less violent than Palestinian crisis. Let it go. 

Girl, apartheid in South Africa ended only 30 years ago. And Girl, There's much bigger problems in Africa like corrupt leaders doing the West's bidding for resources and plundering.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mean Trees said:

Girl, apartheid in South Africa ended only 30 years ago. And Girl, There's much bigger problems in Africa like corrupt leaders doing the West's bidding for resources and plundering.

Corrupt leaders are bidding for themselves. Unless you believe Mugabe was bidding for the British. :rip: 

Edited by Aristotle

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Corrupt leaders are bidding for themselves. Unless you believe Mugabe was bidding for the British. :rip: 

OK? They do the bidding of imperialists for their own pockets and self interest. Better statement? Bye!

I get the sense that Belgium, Ireland, maybe Spain are anticipating a positive interim ruling from South Africa’s case to then fully support SA’s case. Idk, it seems like the murmurs from politicians are anticipating that the ICJ will vote in favour of SA. I really hope so. 

Worth remembering that the interim ruling is not a ruling on genocide but to order Israel OUT of Palestine. US, Israel, UK etc will legally have to abide since they are signatories to the Genocide Convention. Otherwise, US would have to use its veto on the Security Council (again) which would really fly in the face of international law. 

On Wednesday, our left-ish opposition parties are bringing a bill to Parliament to support SA’s case. Our parties in govt will be under a lot of pressure to make a decision. 

Edited by Both Sides Now
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

US, Israel, UK etc will legally have to abide since they are signatories to the Genocide Convention.

The US, UK, and Israel will disregard the ruling and continue bombing as usual. They don't believe international law applies to them; only to those whom they can weaponize it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Communion said:

I do have a question for those who think the two-state solution is viable (despite Biden recently saying the two-state solution doesn't have to include two equal states and... well... giving the game away....). Especially when a one state Palestine is framed as likely to lead to ethnic cleansing like @Aristotle says above.

This rhetoric is often presented in two different - and often contradicting - ways.

I'm reminded of users like @Harrier brushing away comparisons to post-apartheid South Africa or the dissolving of Rhodesia on the basis that whites only made up a small minority in either. That there are simply too many Israeli settlers and their now children and children's children to willingly accept being a ethnic minority in a single Palestine state (especially given their fear of retribution for the treatment of the Palestinians for decades).

But then.. the argument above is wheeled out. That decolonization is inherently violent and giving Palestinians retribution for their suffering would inevitably end in bloodshed of the Israelis due to some.. I guess, I don't know? Innate savagery of the Palestinian people? Despite even South Africa seeing an even smaller white minority still enjoying a higher standard of living and rate of property ownership than non-white South Africans? 

It's presented at the same time that Israelis are both too powerful to contend with and not get their way yet also too weak to be left prey to the innate savagery of Palestinians if allowed to govern both themselves and the total law of the land.

It's one thing if someone said they felt the 2SS was the most immediate, pragmatic approach due to Israeli savagery revealing itself as knowing no bounds. That a people who video record themselves dropping bombs on children hospitals while wearing funny costumes are going to take decades and decades of mass forced re-education by the international community to be de-radicalized.

Yet it's never "a two state solution with an international body taking over *Israel* to dismantle its settlements and restructure the settler society to make room for Palestine to co-exist*. It's the US and Israel calling for a state that's not really a state but a cage to hold a savage people.

So often liberal both side-ism doesn't root pragmatism in acknowledging Israeli savagery. Instead viewing the situation as intentional savage Islamism vs misguided fascism on the part of cornered Israelis now too stuck *by no fault of their own* to walk back their 'mistakes'.

Few points here

1) On the bolded point for me personally it is this, though I will concede that it is less likely outcome than Palestinians accepting terms offered to them by the US (with Israel dragged kicking and screaming, hopefully). The dismantling of the settlements is a prerequisite for any peace deal including 2SS and Israel (hopefully under a less right wing government) will have to accept this.

2) On principle, I am not against the one state Palestine the left proposes, and I also do not think that it would result in mass communal violence. My problem is rather that - as you mention - Israel is too powerful and entrenched for this to be a viable option outside of militarily defeating the state & crushing the will of its people, which would require a level of violence and destruction that makes the occupation look like doddle. I feel that many Western leftist activists calling for 1SS and dismissing 2SS haven't really thought through exactly how 1SS would be achieved in comparison to 2SS, and are mostly just running on justice vibes. 2SS has nearly occured more than once - the same absolutely cannot be said for 1SS.

3) On Israeli brutality - this is a point I have made many times, but I suppose it's just I don't frame it in exactly the language that you do, which causes the hostility. When faced with a brutal, ruthless, much more powerful state - is it not better to abandon nationalist fantasies for the sake of people's lives? Especially children's? This is why I fight again and again against leftist rhetoric that I see as a contributing factor to the ongoing violence. Peace over justice. Also, as a lib, I have no qualms about being dismissive of everyone's nationalist ethnostate dreams, including people from the global south.

4) Kicking the French out of Algeria or dismantling Apartheid - to call on two commonly used examples - were both orders of magnitude more achievable than dissolving a 21st century state backed by a strong 6-7 million ethnic majority.

5) Secular 1SS with equal rights and no expulsion (in either direction) has a very small amount of support on both sides here. We've been through that data before. Again, just to reiterate, I am not against it in an ideal world and I feel it would be the just solution. But I firmly believe it is impossible, especially now after this escalation.

15 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The US, UK, and Israel will disregard the ruling and continue bombing as usual. They don't believe international law applies to them; only to those whom they can weaponize it.

While I definitely don’t disagree with you, I think a positive interim ruling from the ICJ would be a turning point for a lot of the Western fence-sitting nations.

For the steadfast supporters, it is basically an Uno Reverse Card. Ignoring the ruling would expose the hypocrisy in the plainest light. The UK/US so often use the ICJ and the ICC to condemn their enemies - sometimes warranted, other times not. So ignoring their own institutions would be difficult to defend even for the most cowardly of Western leaders. 

This is the problem with getting into bed with genocidal racists - they tend to do genocidal and racist things! 

Edited by Both Sides Now

25 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

I get the sense that Belgium, Ireland, maybe Spain are anticipating a positive interim ruling from South Africa’s case to then fully support SA’s case. Idk, it seems like the murmurs from politicians are anticipating that the ICJ will vote in favour of SA. I really hope so. 

Worth remembering that the interim ruling is not a ruling on genocide but to order Israel OUT of Palestine. US, Israel, UK etc will legally have to abide since they are signatories to the Genocide Convention. Otherwise, US would have to use its veto on the Security Council (again) which would really fly in the face of international law. 

On Wednesday, our left-ish opposition parties are bringing a bill to Parliament to support SA’s case. Our parties in govt will be under a lot of pressure to make a decision. 

Spain will probably join. They tried to sent Netanyahu to court in 2014 when the number of victims was much smaller, they surely will now. 

• Like 1

Brett McGurk attempting to bring the Abraham Accords back on track and sideline the Palestinians again:

9 hours ago, Aristotle said:

I am talking about an equal agreement with more consideration for Palestinians (more than what US or Israel has offered to them) without having to lead to another war in future. If you try to force a one-state Palestine than Israel will rebel or a one state Israel, Palestinians will rebel. And let's not act Israel is entirely depended on US or West, they can fight and resist on their own.

It's not always all or nothing even if you are the victim. That's much closer to reality than anything else, it's a statistical fact. Israel would pick to move 400,000 settlers out of West Bank over a one state Palestinian and vice versa Palestine would choose that over a one state Israel.

Have certain Muslim countries compensated (even a little) any of their victims throughout history of land loss, genocide and slavery? What about 500,000 Jews that were kicked out of some those countries? 

Nearly 2/3 of Israeli Arabs and 1 in 3 Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza support the 2 state solution that's not shy a percentage especially for them who have seen their own people get killed in masses. No offense but who are you to oppose this idea as possible scenario for the sake of peace? Do you know better than the majority of Israeli Arabs and a good chunk of Palestinians? 

They're called Palestinians, not "Israeli Arabs"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

They're called Palestinians, not "Israeli Arabs"

In a 2017 telephone poll, 40% of Arab citizens of Israel identified as "Arab in Israel / Arab citizen of Israel", 15% identified as "Palestinian", 8.9% as "Palestinian in Israel / Palestinian citizen of Israel", and 8.7% as "Arab";[27][28] the focus groups associated with the poll provided a different outcome, in which "there was consensus that Palestinian identity occupies a central place in their consciousness".[27]

According to a 2019 survey by University of Haifa professor Sammy Smooha, conducted in Arabic among 718 Arab adults, 47% of the Arab population chose Palestinian identities with an Israeli component ("Israeli Palestinian", "Palestinian in Israel", "Palestinian Arab in Israel"), 36% prefers Israeli Arab identities without a Palestinian component ("Israeli", "Arab", "Arab in Israel", "Israeli Arab"), and 15% chose Palestinian identities without an Israeli component ("Palestinian", "Palestinian Arab"). 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Israel would pick to move 400,000 settlers out of West Bank over a one state Palestinian and vice versa Palestine would choose that over a one state Israel.

One State Israel is functionally what exists already. Palestine is not even recognized as a state by the West, and its people are barely registered as being human. Which is why Joe Biden is more than happy to look the other way while American-manufactured 2,000-lb bunker buster bombs are murdering children... as he supplies them with more without Congressional approval.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aristotle said:

In a 2017 telephone poll, 40% of Arab citizens of Israel identified as "Arab in Israel / Arab citizen of Israel", 15% identified as "Palestinian", 8.9% as "Palestinian in Israel / Palestinian citizen of Israel", and 8.7% as "Arab";[27][28] the focus groups associated with the poll provided a different outcome, in which "there was consensus that Palestinian identity occupies a central place in their consciousness".[27]

According to a 2019 survey by University of Haifa professor Sammy Smooha, conducted in Arabic among 718 Arab adults, 47% of the Arab population chose Palestinian identities with an Israeli component ("Israeli Palestinian", "Palestinian in Israel", "Palestinian Arab in Israel"), 36% prefers Israeli Arab identities without a Palestinian component ("Israeli", "Arab", "Arab in Israel", "Israeli Arab"), and 15% chose Palestinian identities without an Israeli component ("Palestinian", "Palestinian Arab"). 

your wiki receipts prove that the majority identify as Palestinian

• Like 1

rihannafan

This is slightly off-topic. If you live in a city where it's showing, I highly recommend looking for the new documentary Bye Bye Tiberias. It's about the Actress Hiam Abbas and her Palestinian mother and grandmother and how they were kicked out of their houses. It's super poetic, sad and beautiful at the same time. 

• Like 2

Israelis are currently losing their minds over the decision to begin treating injured Palestinian children in Israeli hospitals. 

There’s a current video circling around of a 5 year old Palestinian girl in an Israeli hospital and it’s receiving tens of thousands of negative responses on multiple social medias… 

a child. a CHILD

• Thanks 2

let me translate some comments on this video for yall

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSF1JNebo/

“once upon we had minimal sympathy for them. no more. out” 

“why the **** are they in our hospitals??”

“this child is our future enemy” 

“my god. this country keeps making more and more mistakes” 

“she should draw the Israeli flag instead. we are the ones saving her lives!!” 

“there’s no hope for this country anymore” 

“why the **** is she here?? 💀

”Im so angry this filth is in our hospitals” 

“Hamas member” 

“continue like this and well get another 7/10” 

“why is she here????” 

“this sends waves of anger down my body. WHY!!!” 

“horrifying” x11

“unbelievable” 

“future terrorist” 

“I think I just had a concussion” 

“this little girl is a ticking bomb” 

“I would have told her the real truth about her how flag does not exist” 

“******ed country” x20

“I’m shocked some people here are saying she’s just a little kid. Its NOT her country. period” 

“shes so horrible for drawing a fake flag” 

“what in the WORLD??? we have SOLDIERS in these hospitals” (hinting that this little girl will kill them) 

“absolutely unacceptable to bring her to our holy land” 

“it hurts my heart to see her alive” 

“she has evil eyes!!! I can tell she’s gonna commit terror!” 

“why is she here? kick her out”.

“throw her to the sea” 

“why is this thing in our hospitals” 

“throw that drawing to the toilet” 

“I hope she burns” 

“what a sick sick country” (this one’s a gay too) 

“son of a thousand *******” 

“put her in JAIL not hospital” 

“yeah keep believing that she’s an innocent girl.. idiots” 

“she shouldn’t be able to physically draw anymore” 

“give me the name of the hospital and which section and Ill come kill her” 

“put rat poison in her drink” 

“tie her to a missile and shoot her” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Jjang said:

“Hamas member” 

“why is she here????” 

“horrifying” x11

“unbelievable” 

“future terrorist” 

“******ed country” x20

“I’m shocked some people here are saying she’s just a little kid. Its NOT her country. period” 

“what in the WORLD??? we have SOLDIERS in these hospitals” (hinting that this little girl will kill them) 

“throw her to the sea” 

“I hope she burns” 

:deadbanana4:

genocidal society tingz.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

genocidal society tingz.

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

“Hamas member” 

“why is she here????” 

“horrifying” x11

“unbelievable” 

“future terrorist” 

“******ed country” x20

“throw her to the sea” 

“I hope she burns” 

I've seen some of the comments but this is a new low. 40% were against humanitarian pause in exchange for hostages without the hostages the percentage would be probably 95%.

Why are Palestinians always required to compromise and accept “peace” when majority of Israeli’s think like this

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

“Hamas member” 

“why is she here????” 

“horrifying” x11

“unbelievable” 

“future terrorist” 

“******ed country” x20

“throw her to the sea” 

“I hope she burns” 

This is literal terrorist rhetoric 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

genocidal society tingz.

25 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

I've seen some of the comments but this is a new low. 40% were against humanitarian pause in exchange for hostages without the hostages the percentage would be probably 95%.

19 minutes ago, brraap said:

Why are Palestinians always required to compromise and accept “peace” when majority of Israeli’s think like this

This is literal terrorist rhetoric 

"Israel_bidur" on IG is far worse. The page has 1.5m followers and it's full of the most racist, hateful, and genocidal rhetorics you'll read online. Makes the comments I quoted seem tame. Feel free to check that page for yourself.

And mind you, that is the biggest entertainment outlet/social media page in Israel. 

It has reached the point that Israeli Palestinians are being kicked out of universities, and their jobs, and socially outcasted... not even for being pro-Hamas or being political at all. If you say Palestinian children are humans you're in trouble. Their sympathy is being criminalized. A "democratic, progressive" society cannot, at any point, find itself in this position. 

I have a friend in Hebron that was arrested, beaten, and had his family factory confiscated for "social media incitement". I have another who lives in Jerusalem and is quite known on a social media platform (who carries Israeli citizenship) who was detained from his home and was threatened to have his sexuality exposed if he said anything on his social media platform. Mind you, his platform wasn't even political. Just Palestinian. I swear I have like 50+ more stories like these to share. The fact that this treatment means nothing to casual Israelis is alarming. Like, they really.... really don't care. It's almost more offensive than straight-up being racist. Whatever happens to you, as long as you're Palestinian/Arab - you had it coming. You're inherently guilty of something. That's the mindset. 

Edited by Jjang
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jjang said:

"Israel_bidur" on IG is far worse. The page has 1.5m followers and it's full of the most racist, hateful, and genocidal rhetorics you'll read online. Makes the comments I quoted seem tame. Feel free to check that page for yourself.

And mind you, that is the biggest entertainment outlet/social media page in Israel. 

It has reached the point that Israeli Palestinians are being kicked out of universities, and their jobs, and socially outcasted... not even for being pro-Hamas or being political at all. If you say Palestinian children are humans you're in trouble. Their sympathy is being criminalized. A "democratic, progressive" society cannot, at any point, find itself in this position. 

I have a friend in Hebron that was arrested, beaten, and had his family factory confiscated for "social media incitement". I have another who lives in Jerusalem and is quite known on a social media platform (who carries Israeli citizenship) who was detained from his home and was threatened to have his sexuality exposed if he said anything on his social media platform. Mind you, his platform wasn't even political. Just Palestinian. I swear I have like 50+ more stories like these to share. The fact that this treatment means nothing to casual Israelis is alarming. Like, they really.... really don't care. It's almost more offensive than straight-up being racist. Whatever happens to you, as long as you're Palestinian/Arab - you had it coming. You're inherently guilty of something. That's the mindset. 

That page is the perfect evidence of what a sociopathic and deranged society they are. I've went through some comments once before and it legit sent chills down my whole body. :mazen:

I am really speechless. No one is "safe" there and the fact that we've had several people here confidently say that "Israeli Palestinians/Arabs have equal rights and live in peace!!!" despite the countless stories that you and @welham share or we see on social media is crazy. Shameless Youssef Haddad propaganda in full force.

• Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

That page is the perfect evidence of what a sociopathic and deranged society they are. I've went through some comments once before and it legit sent chills down my whole body. :mazen:

I am really speechless. No one is "safe" there and the fact that we've had several people here confidently say that "Israeli Palestinians/Arabs have equal rights and live in peace!!!" despite the countless stories that you and @welham share or we see on social media is crazy. Shameless Youssef Haddad propaganda in full force.

Yousef Haddad literally had a phase where he goes to campuses and harasses/assaults students who wear kuffiyehs. But no one takes him seriously lol. he’s just a propaganda puppet. He was even for the political reform last year. mind you, not a single leftist, let alone Palestinian, were for the reform. 

He’s just a glorified Mista’riv

Edited by Jjang
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Yousef Haddad literally had a phase where he goes to campuses and harasses/assaults students who wear kuffiyehs. But no one takes him seriously lol. he’s just a propaganda puppet. He was even against the political reform last year. mind you, not a single leftist, let alone Palestinian, were for the reform. 

He’s just a glorified Mista’riv

A whole circus :toofunny2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.