Rita Ora almost recorded Padam Padam

Miichael

IT was the song which last year gave Kylie Minogue her biggest hit in over a decade, and a Grammy nomination to boot.

But it turns out Padam Padam only came to her after it was turned down by other singers at the Aussie hitmaker’s label BMG, including Rita Ora.

Producer Lost Boy explained: “We wrote Padam in February 2022 and there were maybe four or five months of us sitting on it, then I sent it to their label and someone suggested to me, ‘Kylie would kill this’.”

But Lost Boy added: “They were unsure and there was a moment when Rita was going to cut it and it was worming around a few artists on that label.  “They were trying to make it work but they didn’t think it was for Kylie.”

Kylie then got her hands on the song, though, turned it into an anthem . . . which our Jack has been listening to on repeat ever since the day it came out.

Lost Boy added: “I was surprised at how confident she was that she could make it, that it would fit for her. But I think of her as someone who is so good at reinventing. It feels modern but it also feels like Kylie.”

x

The amount of passing around of songs in the music industry :deadbanana2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Lesbihonest, Rita recording? s:wan:

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

The amount of passing around of songs in the music industry :deadbanana2:

:doc:

It would've went nowhere if Rita recorded it :rip:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lana Banana said:

Lesbihonest, Rita recording? s:wan:

She just released an album, so yes

It would’ve flopped given Rita’s current career status… :rip:  but honestly she would’ve killed it. Her big vocals always sound amazing on dance songs 

• Thanks 1

A ‘pass around party bottom’ of a song :clap3:

• Haha 9

it would’ve tanked :rip:

• Like 1

Rita Ora did music?

i thought she was a Real Housewife cast member or something

:suburban:

not it being a Rita Ora reject

7 minutes ago, Antisocialites said:

not it being a Rita Ora reject

It's not necessarily. The producer submitted it to BMG and some executive told them they had Kylie in mind originally. Rita recorded it first but he doesn't say if she rejected it or if it was taken from her. My guess is that the song generally existed in the BMG pool and Kylie recorded it later but locked it down first while Rita was still collecting songs and had them lying around without officially locking down an album tracklist. Which happens all the time. 

that would have been an extremely dark timeline

Congrats, Kylie has like the new worst song on her discography. This is worse than Your Disco Needs You

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 18

It went to the right artist. Kylie killed it. :clap3:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SweetTalker said:

It would’ve flopped given Rita’s current career status… :rip:  but honestly she would’ve killed it. Her big vocals always sound amazing on dance songs 

Padam doesn’t even require or have “big vocals” :rip:

Things have a way of working themselves out in the end

gqCjZq4.gif

• Haha 1

With Rita's usual production it would be overproduced as always and would have been another throwaway single... Glad that it ended up with Kylie who did it justice.

HEAVYONIT

Thank GOD Queen Kylie ended up with it :clap3:

• Like 1

Kylie did the song justice and really added her special sweet-seductive flair to it.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.