Vegans less likely than meat eaters to be infected with Covid-19, study finds

GraceRandolph

Plant-based and vegetarian diets may play a significant role in reducing the risk of Covid-19, a study has found.

Research, published in the journal BMJ Nutrition Prevention and Health,concluded that the incidence of Covid was 39 per cent lower among people who ate a plant-based diet than among those who ate meat.

The findings highlight the importance of dietary habits in influencing the incidence of infectious diseases.

A team led by Julio Cesar Acosta-Navarro, a professor in the school of medicine at Sao Paulo University, studied a group of 702 volunteers.

"The higher the consumption of plant-based foods, the greater the protection," Dr Acosta-Navarro told The National.

Participants were divided based on their diets between omnivorous and predominantly plant-based.
The latter category consumed more vegetables, legumes, and nuts, and less or no dairy and meat products. They included vegans (who eat no animal products), vegetarians (who consume eggs and dairy products) and flexitarians (who ate meat less than three times a week.)

There were no significant differences in sex, age, or vaccination uptake between the two groups.

However, the plant-based group generally had higher education levels and lower rates of medical conditions and physical inactivity.

Of the total participants, 47 per cent reported having had a Covid-19 infection.

The incidence was notably higher among omnivores (52 per cent) compared to those with plant-based diets (40 per cent).

The duration of symptoms didn't differ significantly between the groups, but omnivores were more likely to experience moderate to severe infections.

After adjusting for factors including weight, pre-existing medical conditions, and physical activity levels, researchers noted no overall difference in symptom severity.

But those following a predominantly plant-based or vegetarian/vegan diet were 39 per cent less likely to become infected than the omnivores, researchers concluded.

"The immune system utilises a range of defense mechanisms to combat infections," Dr Acosta-Navarro said.

"Therefore, it is necessary to have an adequate amount of antioxidant enzymes, vitamins and peptides. Without them the capability of the immune system will be jeopardised.

"Plant-based dietary patterns are rich in antioxidants, phytosterols and polyphenols, which positively affect several cell types implicated in immune function and exhibit direct antiviral properties.

"Vegetarians and those on plant-based diets are at reduced risk of chronic diseases of high morbidity and mortality, including ischemic heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, certain types of cancer, and obesity, the same conditions that were proved to be risk factor for Covid-19," Dr Acosta-Navarro said.

Shane McAuliffe, senior visiting academic associate at NNEdPro Global Institute for Food, Nutrition and Health – who was not involved in the study – acknowledged the findings but cautioned that is was an area “that warrants more rigorous and high-quality investigation.”

Read more: https://www.thenationalnews.com/health/2024/01/09/plant-based-diets-slash-covid-19-infection-risk-study-finds/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

vegans don't leave their homes.

News at 12 

• Haha 9
  • Thumbs Down 4

my one vegan friend literally hasn’t left her house since pandemic started, I **** you not, so this adds up. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Pheromosa said:

vegans don't leave their homes.

News at 12 

Vegetarians and those on plant-based diets are at reduced risk of chronic diseases of high morbidity and mortality, including ischemic heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, certain types of cancer, and obesity, the same conditions that were proved to be risk factor for Covid-19," Dr Acosta-Navarro said.

It seems like they are getting out of their homes and getting more exercise than meat eaters based on this fact.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The Man Who

yes, and? 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Well meat consumption increases inflammation in the body. Regardless, good that another study came out to confirm veganism is healthy diet

Vegan propaganda 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

I like how the agenda to promote veganism is "see, we're healthier! we will live longer!" like that's a good thing. I wanna live a short lifespan and be done with it. :redface:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Vegan propaganda 

Weren’t you the one who posted anti-semitic propaganda like 24 hours.mp3 ago?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Sombre said:

I like how the agenda to promote veganism is "see, we're healthier! we will live longer!" like that's a good thing. I wanna live a short lifespan and be done with it. :redface:

That’s never been my personal agenda. I just care about animals and the environment/future/habitable planet. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

“Meat eaters“? Is that the correct term in English? :skull:

It’s a bit shady. 

• Haha 1

And I’m still gonna f*ck up the beef burger I’m having for dinner tonight 

IMG_4573.gif?ex=65b27150&is=659ffc50&hm=

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

i really dont gaf 

IMG_4573.gif?ex=65b27150&is=659ffc50&hm=

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

I already beat COVID like twice and am boosted. Get at me 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

my vegan brother was the one that got Covid at a club and spread it to my family!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ugo said:

Isn’t lizzo a vegan :rip:

So what? There’s million of obese and unhealthy meat eaters. Lizzo is probably healthier than a meat eater of the same size. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Weren’t you the one who posted anti-semitic propaganda like 24 hours.mp3 ago?

spacer.png

No, i did not :gaycat2:

spacer.png

can vegans swallow c**? they might as well be less likely to get STDs

DAC1D560-23FF-479D-8E4A-60DC9FB1B859.thu

Edited by truthteller

10 minutes ago, Comedor said:

“Meat eaters“? Is that the correct term in English? :skull:

It’s a bit shady. 

That’s the correct terminology. I guess behavioral omnivore is technically also correct. 

meat eaters stand UP!

spacer.png

Edited by SKESTU
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

50 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

However, the plant-based group generally had higher education levels and lower rates of medical conditions and physical inactivity.

:foxaylove2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

good for them then

personally idc

spacer.png

• Like 1

See? Even Covid doesnt want vegan.

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

It’s true

all the vegans I know watched helplessly as all the carnists dropped dead all around them.

very tragic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.