Your definition of fwb?

Gesamtkunstwerk

I've noticed the "friends with benefits" term means something different to each person, or maybe even have changed meaning some point in time.

It's usually either:

1) friends with benefits: you hang out, cuddle, go out on dates, help each other out, text at least a couple times a week, have sex but it's not a given when hanging out, can be exclusive but not necessarily, basically a relationship without label

or

2) "friends" with benefits: Only text to set up a hook up, sex is a given when hanging out, not involved in each other life besides getting off, exclusivity is definitely not assumed unless stated otherwise, basically a booty call

So ATRL, how do you define that term ? :nicole:

My definition of fwb is bad idea :snowman:

• Like 1

Number 1 sounds like the straight definition and number 2 is for gays. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Number two—a glorified hookup that's still quite empty, but called "friends with benefits" in an attempt to give it substance.

personally my definition is Furries Wearing Bikini's

• Haha 6

i think the definition is the grey area between a platonic relationship and a romantic relationship.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the term "friends with benefits" presupposes the existence of a friendship, with the ~benefits~ being an addition on top of that. So definitely closer to the first definition. 

Second definition is literally just a hookup that happens more often than just once (so one level above a one-night stand). 

Edited by SlowGinFizzzz

1 hour ago, glitch said:

Agree with this, but I also think people are being harsh on #2 in here. I’ve known guys like this before where we’d eventually end up chatting after, and maybe grab a bite to eat or watch a movie etc. I wouldn’t say we were “hanging out” on a regular basis without a hookup first, but it doesn’t have to be totally distant. 

• Thanks 2

• ATRL Moderator

I guess this is a worthwhile distinction, though I don't see why it matters much to anyone outside of the "relationship."

It's interesting to me because of a recent experience. I have someone who falls into the 2nd category and we were hooking up recently and I referred to him as my FWB and he was like, "Wait, are we friends?" :laugh: And I was like, "Well, idk, we do talk for a few minutes before and after hooking up, so we're at least friendly..." And he was like, "Yeah, but that's not the same as actual friends, so I'm more of a regular hookup than a FWB..." I opened my mouth to continue the argument but he stuffed it with something so I stopped debating and continued my work as a good suck pig.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, glitch said:

this sums it up :rip:

and I’d even add the number 2 is a bit too generous, there’s literally no hanging out, or even texting to check in, and it totally makes sense to the top. 

3 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

I guess this is a worthwhile distinction, though I don't see why it matters much to anyone outside of the "relationship."

It's interesting to me because of a recent experience. I have someone who falls into the 2nd category and we were hooking up recently and I referred to him as my FWB and he was like, "Wait, are we friends?" :laugh: And I was like, "Well, idk, we do talk for a few minutes before and after hooking up, so we're at least friendly..." And he was like, "Yeah, but that's not the same as actual friends, so I'm more of a regular hookup than a FWB..." I opened my mouth to continue the argument but he stuffed it with something so I stopped debating and continued my work as a good suck pig.

the last part caught me off guard but work it I guess :redface:

• Haha 1

I don't really like the idea but for a short time last summer I had a friend with benefits. It was this bisexual guy no one knew about. He had a fetish for blue-eyed blondes like many Italians so it was easy for me and he always said that if he had been into anal then we would've become boyfriends, but I was fine not doing anal and I think he just kept saying it out of horniness. I'd go to his house, we'd do our stuff and then we'd talk, and we also texted a lot about anything, so it really was a friendship. But then I started looking for something serious so I thought it was pointless to keep in touch with him as he clearly said I made him too horny to be just friends without benefits, and I wasn't sentimentally attracted to someone I couldn't have to begin with. Either way, it's doable as long as you don't develop feelings.

just someone you **** regularly and can hit up whenever you’re horny 

1 hour ago, Vespertine said:

Agree with this, but I also think people are being harsh on #2 in here. I’ve known guys like this before where we’d eventually end up chatting after, and maybe grab a bite to eat or watch a movie etc. I wouldn’t say we were “hanging out” on a regular basis without a hookup first, but it doesn’t have to be totally distant. 

this. you can still be friendly and cool with your regular hookup, even if you're not besties.

1 is friends with benefits. 2 is **** buddies

I feel like the order of the words places emphasis on the type of dynamic 

1 is the true defintion.

2 is a sneaky link or f*ck buddy lol.

19 hours ago, Newt said:

1 is friends with benefits. 2 is **** buddies

I feel like the order of the words places emphasis on the type of dynamic 

This :cm:

I just see it as a guy wants to use and treat me like **** and use me for sex then throw my ass away till somebody better comes along

I got my ex still messaging me saying "gimme head" and I keep telling him no but he thinks im joking :skull:

fwb and asexuals don't mix well

Regular sex buddy. That's it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.