Italian FM calls for the creation of a European Army

Specter

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italian-foreign-minister-calls-formation-eu-army-2024-01-07/

The European Union should form its own combined army that could play a role in peacekeeping and preventing conflict, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said.

In an interview with Italian newspaper La Stampa, Tajani said that closer European cooperation on defence was a priority for the Forza Italia party that he leads.

"If we want to be peacekeepers in the world, we need a European military. And this is a fundamental precondition to be able to have an effective European foreign policy," he said in an interview published on Sunday.

"In a world with powerful players like the United States, China, India, Russia - with crises from the Middle East to the Indo-Pacific - Italian, German, French or Slovenian citizens can only be protected by something that already exists, namely the European Union," he added.

:toofunny2: 

Edited by Phantom

"If we want to be peacekeepers in the world, we need a European military. And this is a fundamental precondition to be able to have an effective European foreign policy," he said in an interview published on Sunday.

if you really care about "peacekeeping" maybe you could start by sanctioning israel or something?

i just know this "european military" would be like the American military, playing world police in non-western countries and creating even more wars and conflicts 

• Like 3

Good luck with that, he isn't selling joining the army in Spain that's for sure :sistrens:

Edited by Cloudy

I mean, seeing as European countries are literally begging Russia with open mouth and open legs to come and do what they're doing in Ukraine and there's also the US with their impotent democrats and the bottom of the barrel that is GOP fighting imaginary immigrants from México, what is the alternative?

Edited by IBelonginYourArms
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Seems more realistic than the calls to create a federation

• Like 1

HEAVYONIT

Genuine question: If an EU member country gets attacked by a foreign aggressor, are all EU countries obligated to send military reinforcements (like in NATO)? 

3 hours ago, Illuminati said:

Seems more realistic than the calls to create a federation

in many ways creating a common army is the next step towards creating a federation 

what Europe needs is to dismantle the EU and become reclusive/closed

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

15 minutes ago, HEAVYONIT said:

Genuine question: If an EU member country gets attacked by a foreign aggressor, are all EU countries obligated to send military reinforcements (like in NATO)? 

Aren’t most EU member countries part of NATO?  This would only come up with an invasions of Ireland, San Marino, Cyprus or Sweden.

I think the bigger question would be what happens if an EU country attacks another country.  Is the EU obligated to follow? 

HEAVYONIT
22 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Aren’t most EU member countries part of NATO?  This would only come up with an invasions of Ireland, San Marino, Cyprus or Sweden.

Yeah, but then what would be the point of an EU-army if NATO member-nations already have to come to the defense against outside aggressors?

We surely do need one! 

59 minutes ago, HEAVYONIT said:

NATO countries are not obligated to send military. They are obligated to respond but that can mean anything, like writing an angry letter.

If Trump wins the US is probably going to be reducing its role in NATO, so whether Europe has a common army or just national armies that are allied to each other, they're going to have to increase their commitments to their own defense.

The European Union should form its own combined army that could play a role in peacekeeping and preventing conflict, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said.

It's next level insane how politicians can just get away with lying through their teeth like this. Yeah, create an army for ''peacekeeping'' and preventing ''conflit'', which I'm sure you have no idea how it could be formed in the first place. :rip: 

And as IF the army (ANY army) has any interest in protecting their ''citizens'' when all they do is send those same ''citizens'' to fight their wars abroad for the sake of rich people that never get their hands dirty. :deadbanana4: You can't make this up.

I am supporting the idea. I want the EU to have a standing army of 1 million active military personnel. 

I hope my country - Germany - is finally buying an aircraft carrier in 2024/25. 

• Thumbs Down 1

On 1/8/2024 at 4:49 PM, playboi said:

what Europe needs is to dismantle the EU and become reclusive/closed

stupid comment. 

Europe should finally become a federation and abandon the nation state completely. It's the only way forward. 

I want the first part of federation be signed by France, Germany, Italy, and the three Benelux states. 

It would be funny bc Poland and former Eastern bloc countries would never join (with the exception of the 3 Baltics). 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.