Best Buy to stop selling DVDs & Blu-rays this year

Hector

The end of an era :weeps:

I feel like they're eventually gonna come back, like how Best Buy started selling vinyl after they experienced a renaissance.

• Like 4

People are just now starting to see how streaming services can remove whatever they feel like at any time.

This is a very short-sighted move that they'll regret sooner rather than later imo.

• Like 13

Damn, rip.

Most fans enjoy physical media, especially collectors editions/steelbooks which make lots of money. Plus, to have access at any time and own your favorite shows and films is the best part.

Streaming services are constantly removing films and shows and now with prices going up and the implementation of ads rising people are straying away, exactly as they did with cable. They'll have their physicals to pull out whenever something isnt available.

I know we're in a digital era but they'll come back just like vinyls did I'm sure.

I'll keep collecting them regardless :celestial6:

• Like 5

Quick Taylor, release Rep Stadium Tour and Eras Tour movies on Laserdisc to revive the video physicals industry.

People saying Physical media is gonna have a comeback, but realistically the last time yall even touched a DVD was 8 years ago:rip: 

be Fr

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

14 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

People saying Physical media is gonna have a comeback, but realistically the last time yall even touched a DVD was 8 years ago:rip: 

be Fr

Why do yall say dumb **** like this? As if you know what any of us buy or collect :deadbanana2:

• Thanks 3

I hope you're all right.

I never stopped using physical media. I still buy CDs, and less occasionally vinyl, as well as movies here and there.

You get better quality + no company can take your physical copy off of your shelf or remove your copy from your digital library.

I hope more people will buy their favorites on physical media and keep the format alive and well.

as a collector of steelbooks, this is a disappointment and definitely short-sighted, but there are other retailers that will sell them plus third-party, international sellers/distributors.

• ATRL Moderator

Idc about this personally cause I haven't purchased a physical film in at least a decade :skull: but I'm gonna be mad if/when they eventually phase out physical video games :gaycat7:

1 hour ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

be Fr

Hm? Haven’t you ever gone to watch a favorite movie or tv show, only to find that it’s been removed from streaming or has been moved to a different service you don’t pay for? I definitely find myself needing to bust out a Blu-Ray from time to time. I just used my physical copy of the Nightmare Before Christmas a few weeks ago. 

I don’t think we’ll ever see a true “comeback,” but I can definitely see physical sales rebounding a bit in the future as people experience continued annoyances with streaming services. 

Thank god music labels don’t have name-brand recognition like different TV channels or movie studios do :rip: Imagine if we started having to subscribe to Sony+, Universal+, Warner+, or worse, TaylorNation+. 

• Thanks 1

Idiotic Best Buy really said "let's give Amazon more power". 

I buy Blu-Rays of animated movies all the time. I had so many old school Disney VHS when I was little, rebuilding that collection so this is an investment for my future family as well. 

Digital media is not protected media. It can go delisted and then what

What will they even put on the shelves now? Everything is computers, smartphones and TV screens now :skull:

It used to be so fun when I was a kid, dozens of CDs to browse through, video games + displays when you can actually play games, all sorts of toys, yugioh / pokemon cards. 

this is bad but i've never been to a best buy in more than 5 years :redface:

I feel like now is the ideal chance for other retail stores to take advantage of this by advertising their physical media more

cd soon maybe. i loved physical media but i dont have time to use em anymore. also dont have much space in my room 

On 1/3/2024 at 6:23 PM, Hey Dude said:

What will they even put on the shelves now? Everything is computers, smartphones and TV screens now :skull:

It used to be so fun when I was a kid, dozens of CDs to browse through, video games + displays when you can actually play games, all sorts of toys, yugioh / pokemon cards. 

I went to the Best Buy store last week and they stuffed all the DVDs on just one shelf and the rest of the shelves were removed. Lots of empty space. So sad tbh. 

they need to make Vinyl sized DVDs (so basically Laserdiscs) so the aesthetic girlies start buying them 🎀

They didn't even have to announce it. The last time I went to Best Buy to look for a movie was the last time, and this was years ago. They used to have aisles and aisles of movies, new and old. The last time I went, there were maybe two racks with movies on it. It was so disappointing.

I typically just order my physical media from Amazon or Discogs nowadays, anyway. Physical media is still important, especially since digital purchases can be taken away at any moment. You don't truly own something unless you have it physically.

Stupid mistake considering physical media is making a comeback. 

I refuse to be forced to download my movies where the rights could expire and the platform straight up deletes the movie from your library even though you paid for it. Anyway, it looks like Walmart has taken over for steelbook exclusives since BB announced it their plan. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.