2024-2025 Awards Season

Almodusa

Not queen Selena snatching a major best actress award like this.

Selegend did it again.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

• McNulty

• fridayteenage

Anora smashing at Cannes is so random, the plot preview I read seems kinda basic

Andra Day, Mo'Nique and Glenn Close will star in horror supernatural movie directed by Lee Daniels this year.

Hoping for 9th Oscar nomination for Close although she will not win.

wendy-williams-wendy.gif

3 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Andra Day, Mo'Nique and Glenn Close will star in horror supernatural movie directed by Lee Daniels this year.

Hoping for 9th Oscar nomination for Close although she will not win.

wendy-williams-wendy.gif

Supernatural horror? Good luck booking that nom, even if you're Meryl Streep 

:suburban:

Can Anora mimick an Anatomy of a Fall-like run? It's the first american PalmDor winner in a while, that will certainly help. Although I feel it will be accepted by the critics more than the industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Komet said:

Can Anora mimick an Anatomy of a Fall-like run? It's the first american PalmDor winner in a while, that will certainly help. Although I feel it will be accepted by the critics more than the industry.

Why do you think Anora will be accepted more by critics than industry? 

It would be bad for Anora without industry support bcs that would mean no oscar nominations in any category. 

8 hours ago, Komet said:

well that didn't help fahrenheit 9/11 or elephant...

and lee daniels can get in for Oscar Bait, not for other stuff. 

though even The Butler ended up falling short when Oprah looked fairly likely for a nom.

Post Cannes BP

Anora
Blitz
Conclave
Dune Part II
Emilia Perez
Joker: Folie à Deux
The Nickel Boys
Queer
A Real Pain
Sing Sing

12 hours ago, Komet said:

It'll be clearer once other festivals play but it is being distributed by Neon, the same distributor who did Anatomy of a Fall's campaign (they also had Robot Dreams and Perfect Days nominated in other categories). If Anora's chances are just as good after other major festivals (if they do them) as they seem now then I think Neon will happily do a proper FYC campaign, and as we'd seen they do well with those. 

We haven't seen the movie so it's all just wild guesses, even with the Palme win. But it's definitely already shaping a minor but noticeable "he's due" narrative for Baker and I'm absolutely all for it. 

-

I think Sacred Fig is now the likeliest winner for International Feature, but Neon had Perfect Days last year and that campaign was...well, not the best. Although much better than other movies in the category sans the winner :mandown:

Praying Didi and Joan Chen somehow survive until critics awards and they show their support for them :gaycat6: Focus Features please don't fail me now.

Sorry but buzz for Anora feels like Red Rocket and The Florida Project to me.

Mikey Madison will fight for that 5th spot nomination in Best Actress.

wendy-williams-wendy.gif

4 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Sorry but buzz for Anora feels like Red Rocket and The Florida Project to me.

Mikey Madison will fight for that 5th spot nomination in Best Actress.

wendy-williams-wendy.gif

What exactly? Are you just saying it bcs these were his last critical acclaimed projects without really Oscar buzz (except for a  nomination for a beloved actor)? 

I don't want to talk bad about his achievements but it feels like he already achieved more with this palme win than with his other projects combined. 

Mikey Madison will definitely need to fight for it but others too. Anora is distributed by Neon so I expect a good campaign. 

• Like 4

Last 3/4 Palme D'Or winners have all been nominated for BP so what's stopping Anora from doing the same? It's the first American movie to win in years and competing in a very weak year. NEON will give the movie their highest priority and their campaigns have been amazing 

19 hours ago, troubled water. said:

I think Sacred Fig is now the likeliest winner for International Feature, but Neon had Perfect Days last year and that campaign was...well, not the best. Although much better than other movies in the category sans the winner :mandown:

Iran will never submit this movie for the Oscars

1 hour ago, McNulty said:

Iran will never submit this movie for the Oscars

Wait nnn Must've slipped my mind that governments are heavily involved in this whole process...

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

2024 Sundance Film Festival

January 18-28, 2024

U.S. Dramatic: In the Summers by Alessandra Lacorazza

U.S. Documentary: Porcelain War by Brendan Bellomo and Slava Leontyev

World Cinema Dramatic: Sujo by Astrid Rondero and Fernanda Valadez

World Cinema Documentary: A New Kind of Wilderness by Arun Bhattarai and Dorottya Zurbó

74th_Berlin_International_Film_Festival_

74th Berlin International Film Festival

February 15-25, 2024

Golden Bear: Dahomey by Mati Diop

Silver Bear Grand Jury Prize: A Traveler's Needs by Hong Sang-soo

Silver Bear Jury Prize: The Empire by Bruno Dumont

Silver Bear for Best Director: Nelson Carlo De Los Santos Arias for Pepe

Silver Bear for Best Leading Performance: Sebastian Stan for A Different Man

Silver Bear for Best Supporting Performance: Emily Watson for Small Things like These

Silver Bear for Best Screenplay: Matthias Glasner for Dying

spacer.png

2024 South by Southwest

March 8-16, 2024

Jury Award Winner: Bob Trevino Likes It
(Director/Screenwriter: Tracie Laymon; Producers: Tracie Laymon, Sean Mullin, Edgar Rosa, Felipe Dieppa)

Special Jury Award for Performance: Maria Rodríguez Soto for Mamifera

Special Jury Award for Filmmaking: Josephine Stewart-Te Whiu for We Were Dangerous

spacer.png

77th Cannes Film Festival

May 14-25, 2024

Palme d'Or: Anora by Sean Baker

Grand Prix: All We Imagine as Light by Payal Kapadia

Jury Prize: Emilia Pérez by Jacques Audiard

Best Director: Miguel Gomes for Grand Tour

Best Actress: Adriana Paz, Karla Sofía Gascón, Selena Gomez, and Zoe Saldaña for Emilia Pérez

Best Actor: Jesse Plemons for Kinds of Kindness

Best Screenplay: The Substance by Coralie Fargeat

Special Prize: The Seed of the Sacred Fig by Mohammad Rasoulof

Edited by Almodusa
  • Like 2

That's it.

I'm putting Glenn Close to get her 9th Oscar nomination this year for that horror movie. If she could pull it off nomination for that Razzie-nominated Hillbilly Elergy, I believe she can sneak again this year for that horror movie.

wendy-williams-wendy.gif

49 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

That's it.

I'm putting Glenn Close to get her 9th Oscar nomination this year for that horror movie. If she could pull it off nomination for that Razzie-nominated Hillbilly Elergy, I believe she can sneak again this year for that horror movie.

well hillbilly elegy was made for oscarbaiting even if it's bad

biopic

loud acting

oscar winner ron howard

fellow oscar nom perennial amy adams

Amy will remain Oscarless methinks.

If she couldn't win for The Master, she would not win an Oscar ever.

Unless if she decided to star in a very baity Oscar movie that's critically acclaimed.

wendy-williams-wendy.gif

in competition GÀR :jonny5:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maria and Queer, let's go :jonny5:

strikes who?? that Venice lineup is already pretty great :gaycat4:

the absence of mention of Blitz and Neon titles The End and The Actor. ig for the latter, it already has its anointed challenger in Palme winner Anora and so is likely to rein in its other ponies for the time being, but Apple needs to start the drumbeats for the McQueen film asap

Iirc no sequel ever won Golden Lion, let alone after the original did it, so I'm not even considering jFAD as a possibility. Volpi Cup for Gar tho... :gaycat3:

Portman and Stewart didn't manage to get it in a Lorraine biopic, but I can see it for Jolie. 

Also who let J*hnny Deep out of the basement

:suburban:

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.