SLIME’s thread 2k23 | top 50 albums

SLIME

I know I only have a few days… I am at almost 100 albums / 20 EPs and would like to make it either 50 or 75 songs.

I miss when it was easier to post on here and will tag some of you guys when I can! I wanna see what y'all have been enjoying too.

• ATRL Moderator

We miss you too!

• Thanks 1

Perched for this :duca:

• Thanks 1

So ready for this list.

• Thanks 1

:duca:

• Thanks 1

Let's take it from the top?

Favorite Albums

1. Kelela - Raven

spacer.png

Everything I wanted in Take Me Apart's follow-up and more, just as futuristic with some more grounded and humanizing references. I love the pulse of Raven's musical narrative and the full commitment to every notch on the spectrum from blissed-out ambient to rave.  While the central metaphor is pretty simple, the title track has such an intensity that it all just works. Tthrow in the transitions and everything just comes together to make perfect sense. Stellar production job all-around and though some of the dance music elements at play are admittedly subtle, I think February's remix album will take the and blow them up to 100 for the full experience. So folks, we may have an album of the year part-two on our hands. #JusticeForMissedCall

2. Amaarae - Fountain Baby

spacer.png

Just the most fun I had listening to music all year, such a vibrant and colorful sound palette I find largely missing from the mainstream. "Co-Star" is "Run Away with Me" level pure pop perfection and I hope we are ready to regognize.

3. billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps

spacer.png

Previous works had accustomed me to Billy's dry, layered writing style, but this is the album where it started to click on the next level for me. The orange and green on the cover do a great job of communicating the atmosphere of the record, making me feel like I'm walking down a crowded city block and catching the juiciest blip of every conversation surrounding me. A very rewarding text.

4. Sampha - Lahai

spacer.png

I love how Sampha and Kelela came in to start and close the year super strong just like they did in 2017. I'd missed Sampha's voice, but it was worth the wait when he brought it back in fine form over his lushest beats so far. He sings passionately about navigating fatherhood and other life changes in a way that brings it right home to me.

5. PinkPantheress - Heaven Knows

spacer.png

Gen Z's new supreme has arrived! I love her commitment to drum&bass pop done right, but love the experiments here too ("Capable of Love" is a true progressive PP moment). So much fun you might be surprised at its depth.

Us sharing the exact same top 2 :jonny5:also the other three albums are great too!!

59 minutes ago, TRF. said:

Us sharing the exact same top 2 :jonny5:also the other three albums are great too!!

Taste bestie I squealed when I saw the end of your list too. More to come... insert video 'Björk dancing and singing to All the Way Down by Kelela is pure gold.'

Favorite albums continued...

6. Lana del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

7. L'Rain - I Killed Your Dog

8. Yves Tumor - Praise a Lord Who Chews but Which Does Not Consume; (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds)

9. Skrillex - Quest for Fire

10. Róisín Murphy - Hit Parade

11. Noname - Sundial

12. MIKE - Burning Desire

13. Liv.e - Girl in the Half Pearl

14. Danny Brown - Quaranta

15. Slowthai - UGLY

16. Sufjan Stevens - Javelin

17. McKinley Dixon - Beloved! Paradise! Jazz?!

18. Kali Uchis - Red Moon in Venus

19. Yaeji - With a Hammer

20. Tinashe - BB/ANG3L

21. Squid - O Monolith

22. JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - Scaring the Hoes

23. George Clanton - Ooh Rap I Yah

24. Slayyyter - STARFUCKER

25. King Krule - Space Heavy

26. Debby Friday - GOOD LUCK

27. Brent Faiyaz - Larger than Life

28. Earl Sweatshirt & The Alchemist - Voir Dire

29. Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time

30. Overmono - Good Lies

31. Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want to Turn Into You

32. Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World

33. Little Simz - NO THANK YOU

34. Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy

35. Tainy - DATA

36. Parannoul - After the Magic

37. MC Yallah - Yallah Beibe

38. Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips

39. Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!

40. 100 gecs - 10,000 gecs

41. Taichu - RAWR

42. Fever Ray - Radical Romantics

43. Hannah Diamond - Perfect Picture

44. Mitski - This Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We

45. Genesis Owusu - Struggler

46. Disclosure - Alchemy

47. Travis Scott - Utopia

48. yeule - Softscars

49. Victoria Monet - Jaguar II

50. Nourished by Time - Erotic Probiotic 2

Stay tuned!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.