Leona Lewis awarded OBE for services to Music and Charity

DMDR

Leona has been made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to music and charity. 

The 38-year-old is the first British female solo artist to reach the top five with eight singles, surpassing Olivia Newton-John's record of seven.

She won two MOBO Awards, an MTV Europe Music Award, and two World Music Awards. The musician was also nominated for six BRIT Awards and three Grammy Awards. The star sang I See You from James Cameron’s hit film Avatar in 2009, and in 2016 she made her Broadway debut as Grizabella in the revival of Lord Lloyd-Webber’s musical Cats.

Not only is she a widely celebrated artist, but she's also known for her support of many charitable causes. She's worked with The Prince’s Trust, Teenage Cancer Trust and WWF.

Lewis and her husband, German-born creative director Dennis Jauch, opened a coffee shop with sustainability at its heart in Los Angeles, planting a tree for every cup they sell having partnered with the National Forest Association. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/x-factor-star-leona-lewis-31771564

She is also a trustee of an Animal Sanctuary in Essex.

Hopefield Animal Sanctuary sits on 53 acres of beautiful countryside in the heart of Brentwood, Essex. The sanctuary currently cares for over 500 sick, unwanted and mistreated animals. Our mission is to help animals in need and provide education and awareness for humane behaviour towards all animals around the world. Our animals live out their lives at Hopefield in peace, surrounded by love and receiving the best care.

Drag Queen Singing GIF by Paramount+

• Like 4

Accepting a medal from the empire which is funding and supporting genocide and is built on colonialism. Disgusting

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 8

anyone can get these nowadays they’ve lost all their merit

• Thumbs Down 2

8 minutes ago, KingWitch said:

Wait an OBE ,did she already have the MBE ? That's great tbh.

No she doesn't have an MBE.

People like to downplay Leona's success, but 35 million+  records sold and countless broken records in the UK charts, 17 years into her career and has just completed another tour of the UK, that is great longevity many artists would kill for. 

• Like 7

Great, and now do us a services: Release the damn music.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr.X said:

Accepting a medal from the empire which is funding and supporting genocide and is built on colonialism. Disgusting

Also, an empire that helped stop slavery and nazi germany but let's just talk crap. If you're talking about Israel/Hamas both sides want genocide of each other so.. 

• Like 1

A recognition from one of the major forces of colonialism. The empire is still racist today. 

Leona should publicly decline. 

ciara GIF by Entertainment Tonight

5 hours ago, KMO said:

I miss oldTRL so much

I came into this thread looking for the exact same thing. :fan:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KMO said:

I miss oldTRL so much

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Spoiler

Neigh-ther one of you will find what you're looking for, I fear.

______

Hopefully the new non-Tory government will finally consider changing the names of OBE/MBE to something less controversial. 

• Haha 2

Happy for her to be recognized! :heart:

6 hours ago, Phoenixstar said:

Great, and now do us a services: Release the damn music.

My thoughts, exactly. It's been way too long. I tend to fall in love with her over and over again, revisiting her albums over the years. I always did enjoy her.

Y’all need to put some respect on Miss Lewis’ name. She’s iconic in her own right. Realize that her career was stunted by a male record executive (Looking at u Simon Cowell) like Kesha, JoJo and others. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KMO said:

I miss oldTRL so much

6 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Yeah, thankfully calling black women animals has gone out of style and looked at what it truly is: racism :heart2:

OT: Congrats :clap3:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BoDaToe said:

Y’all need to put some respect on Miss Lewis’ name. She’s iconic in her own right. Realize that her career was stunted by a male record executive (Looking at u Simon Cowell) like Kesha, JoJo and others. 

I actually don't think Simon was her issue, to this day he stilll supports her and gives her opportunities, it was Clive Davis and the US label that really messed Leona's career up imo. 

She doesn’t deserve the draggings. She minds her businesses. Her biggest mistake was dropping that Happy song. What an uneventful comeback single after the two punch of Bleeding Love and Better in Time. Leona was not cut for upbeat pop and R&B, but she could’ve taken a clue from the likes of Adele and Duffy and dropped a throwback british soul album instead of whatever Echo was

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.