The Sun: Dua scrapped big budget music video over Israel-Gaza conflict concerns

BlackoutZone

12 hours ago, Asherio said:

Nothing you said made sense. Dua doesn’t need PR **** like this to look sensitive, she is not ashamed of her political sides. Just check her Service podcast stuff. If anything this would be bad for her label, because they spent a **** amount of money and had to plan everything again. 

The video didn’t turn out as expected?? Hahahahha do you have any idea how big budget projects go? Everything is planned ahead and approved before the shooting itself. It’s just a matter of executing.

Very much this.

As someone who works in managment, some of users here have no idea how everything is pre-planned and sewed up tightly, especially the budget (which is not from rubber) WAY before you get to know the album (or any other project) is due to be out. It takes a lot of effort, planning, negotiating, managing the funds wisely between callendar months, and even between weeks, getting everything approved by lawyers, communication team, higher management, finding better alternatives cost wise, setting up promo etc. 

The budget in the end is to make a profit. Scrapping the video, which went in front of the board countless of times for it to be approved, and then getting axed isn't something done as easily as some of you think. It's a waste of money.

Releasing the MV would be the last step between countless of things that were planned beforehand. So, the MV not being released had to do something with Palestine, or any other event that happened/is happening.

Edited by Mickie
  • Like 2

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solaria

• BlackoutZone

• Bentley

• Soul Glitch

15 hours ago, IBeMe said:

that explains the low budget, clearly rushed and uneventful mv for Houdini tbh

And yet it's still more impressive than any Taylor MV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Cain said:

These notions are so empty, yes there are armed conflicts everyday, no most of them don’t hit the West (Dua’s main market) like the Israel-Palestine war OBVIOUSLY

I would say the Ukranian war hits the west far more than Israel-Palestine and no one would say anything if you release a movie with chaos and explosions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Love Again said:

So.. what are they gonna do with the second single now? Is it still gonna be TS but with a different video or will they pick a different song? This is a mess chile

Maybe they will push another song in january / february and release training season as the single along with the album in like april / may

16 hours ago, TayDuaStan said:

This era is a mess. Firstly Dua released one of her worst songs as a lead single and now it’s revealed she actually shot an insane MV for TS (which according to insiders is clearly a much better song than houdini) but it’s now scrapped and will probably never be released :deadvision:. I was impatient for this era to arrive but now witnessing this huge mess I think i could’ve waited a little bit more if we were to get the og rollout :gaycat7:

Houdini? One of her worst songs?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, State of Grace. said:

Of course you would say that

It's just funny to me how the people in this thread crying about "cancel culture!!!" and "soft people!!" are also pro-Israel and camped in the megathread upvoting Israeli propaganda, I would have never expected it. :coffee2:

Complaining about a music video not being released when there are thousands of people being killed and the #1 song in Israel was calling for the IDF to kill Dua, Bella Hadid, and Mia Khalifa is crazy. Think outside of the pop culture bubble for once.

Did I say people weren’t dying? 

The music video would’ve had zero correlation to the current events but people would’ve chosen to be offended by it as they are with everything and anything. I think it’s time to stay off the internet if you’re that easily triggered 

13 hours ago, Hurem said:

What the **** is this post? :deadbanana2:

How is scrapping a high budget video tone deaf? Do you even know what tone deaf means? Insensitive to whom? To studio who financed the MV? Boohoo.

Insensitive and tone deaf to anyone that money could've been used to help. Particularly in the UK where Dua is from, there is a cost of living crisis and huge economic inequities, so a popstar announcing that they've wasted a lot of money on something that's not even getting released isn't as socially conscious as her team seem to think it is.

And also insensitive and tone deaf to the other wars and violence happening right now. Israel/Palestine just escalated very recently so it's understandable that they had probably already shot the video before that - but why were they not equally as sensitive or as considerate of, say, the Ukraine war which is also still ongoing and would have been ongoing at the time they made the video? Why did they even begin making a video like that in the first place? Are they only sensitive to ongoing wars if they started more recently and occupy most of the headlines?

To be clear, I don't think it would've been insensitive to release the video at all - I just call BS on that being their reason for not releasing it.

13 hours ago, Hurem said:

What sense would it make for Dua's team to go "are you scrapping a MV because it's bad? Perfect! Let's make it public and use it to make you look empathetic :alexz3:"? :dies:

It makes perfect sense for a celebrity's PR to take any opportunity to make their star look good and spin something potentially negative into something positive - it's literally their job.

13 hours ago, Asherio said:

Nothing you said made sense. Dua doesn’t need PR **** like this to look sensitive, she is not ashamed of her political sides. Just check her Service podcast stuff. If anything this would be bad for her label, because they spent a **** amount of money and had to plan everything again.

The video didn’t turn out as expected?? Hahahahha do you have any idea how big budget projects go? Everything is planned ahead and approved before the shooting itself. It’s just a matter of executing.

Yes and big projects fail all the time, and movies/films/shows get scrapped all the time for a huge variety of reasons, regardless of how much time, planning and preparation goes into them. I just don't believe their reason for why this one got scrapped.

As you said yourself, everything is planned and approved in advance - so why did no-one turn around and say "Wait, this might be insensitive to <one of the many other examples of war and violence happening a the time>, maybe we shouldn't go ahead with this"?

31 minutes ago, Marla Singer said:

Insensitive and tone deaf to anyone that money could've been used to help. Particularly in the UK where Dua is from, there is a cost of living crisis and huge economic inequities, so a popstar announcing that they've wasted a lot of money on something that's not even getting released isn't as socially conscious as her team seem to think it is.

And also insensitive and tone deaf to the other wars and violence happening right now. Israel/Palestine just escalated very recently so it's understandable that they had probably already shot the video before that - but why were they not equally as sensitive or as considerate of, say, the Ukraine war which is also still ongoing and would have been ongoing at the time they made the video? Why did they even begin making a video like that in the first place? Are they only sensitive to ongoing wars if they started more recently and occupy most of the headlines?

To be clear, I don't think it would've been insensitive to release the video at all - I just call BS on that being their reason for not releasing it.

It makes perfect sense for a celebrity's PR to take any opportunity to make their star look good and spin something potentially negative into something positive - it's literally their job.

Yes and big projects fail all the time, and movies/films/shows get scrapped all the time for a huge variety of reasons, regardless of how much time, planning and preparation goes into them. I just don't believe their reason for why this one got scrapped.

As you said yourself, everything is planned and approved in advance - so why did no-one turn around and say "Wait, this might be insensitive to <one of the many other examples of war and violence happening a the time>, maybe we shouldn't go ahead with this"?

Ur acting obtuse: A MV that depicts war images or images of bombs (and that "only" refers to the comotions of a relationship and thus does not have any social agenda behind it) during the height of such a huge conflict would lead to a huge backlash, especially since Dua has presented herself as quite opinionated and conscious in her podcast. Shed be devoured by media and then Team Dua would even lose more money on the longrun than they do with delaying the MV release for half a year or so.

U underestimate the power of a true shitstorm

Edited by Kristie Kuwa

Omg her ARTPOP really is coming

2 hours ago, Marla Singer said:

Because none of the other conflicts were as big or as recent as the Israel x Palestine one? That’s as clear as day. Also as the news is reporting the video was shot before the war even started, there is just so much you can predict, it’s not like they have a crystal ball or something.

9 hours ago, unclefloprry said:

better than being the Paula Abdul of this decade
                                  :ryan3:
:ryan3: Bentley:ryan3:

Katy Perry without the number ones or impact*

:ryan3::ryan3::ryan3:

Edited by Bentley
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Katy Perry without the number ones or impact*

:ryan3::ryan3::ryan3:

Yes let's talk about the ''Katy Perry'' of this generation:

Billboard YE No. 1: CHECK

Grammys: 3

Album streams: 2 above 10B

How many songs above 1B streams?: 9

How many songs above 2B streams?: 2

How many SOLO songs above 1B streams?: 4

Last song to go top 10 on the BB Hot 100: 2023

Total units according to Chartmasters: 37,784,000

Now lets talk about your fave Camila!

Billboard YE No.1: ERROR

Grammys: ERROR

Album streams: ERROR

How many songs above 1B streams: 2

How many songs above 2B streams?: 1

How many SOLO songs above 1B streams?: ERROR

Last song to go top 10 on the BB Hot 100: 2019

Total units according to Chartmasters:  17,121,000

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Oh damn, idk to me it sounds... eventful if she pulled it off well with a good message... obv it can be misinterpreted badly I understand as well

Houdini is cute but it definitely wasn't giving lead single... hope they decide to change their minds and release this

24 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Billboard YE No. 1: CHECK

Grammys: 3

Album streams: 2 above 10B

How many songs above 1B streams?: 9

How many songs above 2B streams?: 2

How many SOLO songs above 1B streams?: 4

Total units according to Chartmasters: 37,784,000

Now lets talk about your fave Camila!

Billboard YE No.1: ERROR

Grammys: ERROR

Album streams: ERROR

How many songs above 1B streams: 2

How many songs above 2B streams?: 1

How many SOLO songs above 1B streams?: ERROR

Last song to go top 10 on the BB Hot 100: 2019

Total units according to Chartmasters:  17,121,000

spacer.png

spacer.png

dua doesn't have Katy presence. if she doesn't get another hit, she will be easily replaced.

I am also not sure if buying her master's will benefit her, as label will not have any reason to promote her.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

Of course you would say that

It's just funny to me how the people in this thread crying about "cancel culture!!!" and "soft people!!" are also pro-Israel and camped in the megathread upvoting Israeli propaganda, I would have never expected it. :coffee2:

Complaining about a music video not being released when there are thousands of people being killed and the #1 song in Israel was calling for the IDF to kill Dua, Bella Hadid, and Mia Khalifa is crazy. Think outside of the pop culture bubble for once.

Wait.....what

People are so sensitive Jesus Christ. :rip:

Video contains explosions and chaos, so suddenly it can’t be released? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm not convinced, surely they were aware of another large war that was making international news for two years now :deadbanana4: Unless they were trying to make some kind of a political statement with the video and were afraid that due to recent events it would be misinterpreted as something else.

It wouldn't be the first time though, I remember Die Young was a disaster for Kesha and Lorde had to scrap Homemade Dynamite as the second single

• Like 1

idk call me insensitive i think it’s stupid we can’t separate things like actual war and media intended to be entertainment. like where does it end ? cuz the conflict in palestine , or what remains of it in the coming months , will be pretty much never ending

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Love Again said:

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.