Proposed EU Migration Pact to impose sweeping new human rights rollback

Kitty Kat

To sum up some of its greatest hits (a TL;DR a friend of mine sent me):

• Countries can declare "crisis" status to automatically refuse and expel asylum seekers, without any examination or legal access
  • "Crisis" status also means they can avoid being held liable for brutalities and deaths if they think a third country or even an NGO is trying to send people
  • Siblings, even minors, are no longer considered part of the same family and thus lose any rights to remain together
  • People who have their asylum procedure in order can be expelled before its results
  • Anyone within the EU can be controlled at random if there is a suspicion they might not have papers. i.e. we'll see cops harassing PoC
  • Children will now be systematically detained in camps, as a new norm. Anyone above 6 years old will have their biometric data taken.
  • People can be expelled to "safe" third countries, with the safety assesment being done exclusively by member states or the EU via Frontex. E.G. Tunisia is safe, even though they threw hundreds of people to die in the Libyan desert last summer.

The deal reached on December 19th is not the end. It remains a political understanding and has yet to be formally adopted. Further technical negotiations are likely to be necessary in early 2024. Notably, the concessions made by the Parliament go way beyond its original mandate on the proposals.

https://euromedrights.org/publication/eu-migration-pact-to-impose-sweeping-new-human-rights-rollback/

This is a proposal for violation of human rights, but I am not surprised. The way EU is falling fastly into right-wing policies is super scary.

• Like 1

This is probably a step too far but something had to be done. Otherwise in a few years every European country will have a far-right government. 

• Like 2

Maybe if we stopped selling weapons and financing wars, we wouldn't have so many people coming. Pretty sure most of these people would love to stay safely in their own stable countries. I'm ashamed of being European right now. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Taylena said:

This is probably a step too far but something had to be done. Otherwise in a few years every European country will have a far-right government. 

Maybe Europe needs massive re-education or their armies dismantled. :cm:

10 refugees for every missile ever sold. :cm:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Taylena said:

I don't think we are in time to stop that. 

31 minutes ago, Taylena said:

we're pretty much already there.

Can the UK do this Countries can declare "crisis" status to automatically refuse and expel asylum seekers, without any examination or legal access

Europe have a long history of violating human rights, disappointed but not surprised :cm:

1 hour ago, Taylena said:

Europe and the EU has been leaning towards right for years. Look at Germany, it shifted from centrist to right VERY quickly. 

OT: i dont even know what to say about this. every single day there are news about something incredibly awful and inhuman happening on political levels. we have so lost the plot and it feels more and more impossible to recoup. makes me feel very hopeless and sad. 

Wow, only took them eight years to finally do something. There are still a lot of issues with this new deal, but I see it as a first step towards a faster, safer and also fairer system. I hope the reformation process will continue though. 

Here's another article on the topic, perhaps a more balanced one: https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-migration-deal-roberta-metsola-refugees-migration-asylum-rules/

• Thumbs Down 1

It's just a proposal it will never be accepted so no need to worry.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:00 PM, ChapelHooker said:

Europe and the EU has been leaning towards right for years. Look at Germany, it shifted from centrist to right VERY quickly. 

OT: i dont even know what to say about this. every single day there are news about something incredibly awful and inhuman happening on political levels. we have so lost the plot and it feels more and more impossible to recoup. makes me feel very hopeless and sad. 

Germany has a social-liberal government. (after 16 years of right wing Merkel)... we literally went the other way of what you are saying, is happening or already happened. 

There ares still federal states in which the Nazi parties: CDU, CSU and AfD have been thrown out of the local governments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.