Prague shooting: Several dead and dozens injured in university shooting

Kitty Kat

Disgusting. Civilians need no access to firearms. We have clearly shown we cannot handle it. 

Literally just left Prague this morning and walked past this place last night :chick3: It's terrible to see this happening in Prague, I have never felt unsafe there. RIP to the victims

15 minutes ago, spiritboy said:

Just heard about this, awful. I also heard death toll is up to 11 now.

Latest news say more than 15.

Absolutely heartbroken to see this happening in my country. RIP to all the victims. 

Terrible news :shakeno: 

Horrific. Just heartbreaking, especially during this time of the year.

My heart goes out to the Czech people. May the victims and families find peace.

• ATRL Moderator

Hopefully they do what the US never could and pass actual laws to prevent this from happening again. RIP to the victims and thoughts for their friends and family. 

31 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Hopefully they do what the US never could and pass actual laws to prevent this from happening again. RIP to the victims and thoughts for their friends and family. 

Czechia has gun ownership rights in their constitution. They also have very sensible gun control laws to make it work. They require a firearms license; which has a required medical examination, criminal background check and a firearms proficiency examination(written and actual usage). Even with some of the most liberal gun ownership laws in Europe, Czechia doesn't have a huge gun ownership number; half that of Germany and Austria, a tenth of America's(highest in the world).

Deadliest attack in the history of the Czech Republic and the deadliest shooting in Europe since the November 2015 Paris attacks :shakeno:

Seems like once in a blue moon this happens because of some random lunatic in Europe. Like it's such an isolated incident it's hard to blame it on anything systemic.

• Like 1

I haven't heard about this but I quickly realized why when I found out the shooter's race/religion :coffee:  no one is calling it "christian terrorism", i wonder why

if he was from another race/religion this would've been on the news 24/7 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Luckitty said:

I haven't heard about this but I quickly realized why when I found out the shooter's race/religion :coffee:  no one is calling it "christian terrorism", i wonder why

if he was from another race/religion this would've been on the news 24/7 

Christian terrorism? No religious motifs have been identified, plus the Czech Republic is the least religious country in Europe with majority of the population being atheists. So the chance of him being a Christian is low. 

Earlier this year a school shooting happened in Belgrade, Serbia. Have you heard of it? Probably not, because nobody really cares about that part of Europe.

2 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Christian terrorism? No religious motifs have been identified, plus the Czech Republic is the least religious country in Europe with majority of the population being atheists. So the chance of him being a Christian is low. 

Earlier this year a school shooting happened in Belgrade, Serbia. Have you heard of it? Probably not, because nobody really cares about that part of Europe.

No people don't care because they were white killers, had they been brown/black you would have had every news chanel talking about them non stop. It's always the same 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pendulum said:

When a muslim commits a crime the news will always mention his religion even if the crime is not religiously motivated 

the same thing happens with people of color and mentioning their race/ethnicity but news channels don't point out white people's ethnicity/race when they commit crimes

which then gives the impression that people from certain race/ethnic/religious groups commit more crimes than the others which fuels more racism etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

When a muslim commits a crime the news will always mention his religion even if the crime is not religiously motivated 

the same thing happens with people of color and mentioning their race/ethnicity but news channels don't point out white people's ethnicity/race when they commit crimes

which then gives the impression that people from certain race/ethnic/religious groups commit more crimes than the others which fuels more racism etc

In countries like UK, France, or Germany, yeah, you have a point. But Czechia is predominately white and the Muslim or POC population is very low, even in Prague. I don't understand how the perpetrator's race or ethnicity (a Czech) has anything to do with this. Don't impose the social dynamics of one society on another. 

On 12/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, Pendulum said:

In countries like UK, France, or Germany, yeah, you have a point. But Czechia is predominately white and the Muslim or POC population is very low, even in Prague. I don't understand how the perpetrator's race or ethnicity (a Czech) has anything to do with this. Don't impose the social dynamics of one society on another. 

I think that user's point is more so relating to the international media's response versus domestic Czech media. That if this shooting was committed by a non-white person, the reporting on the shooting would have been much larger internationally than it was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.