Europe's economies are shrinking & its people are scapegoating minorities in response

Communion

whenever the economy starts tumbling, the right will always fight tooth and nail to keep making profit, so they will cut social policies and workers rights.

they will make a heavy populism campaign and find a scapegoat to blame so people will vote for them. it is sad tho, given how most of them also control the media we consume. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Interesting correlation with Shakira leaving Europe :gaycat4:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

Well, in part it's part because of minorities but not in the way they think. Europe sustained their OWN EUROPEAN economy for centuries around colonization and neocolonization policies in countries full of 'minorities' while taking advantage of them. As their hegemony is falling apart nowadays so will their own European economy :coffee2:

I edited it to make it way more clear. If this topic is about economy in Europe shrinking, of course when I refer to an economy shrinking it would be the European one. ATRL learn how to read before getting outraged challenge :deadbanana2:

Edited by BrokenMachine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

will something like this lead to another WW?

I mean it's just europe being messy as always...

5 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

Well, in part it's part because of minorities but not in the way they think. Europe sustained their econony for centuries around colonization and neocolonization policies. As their hegemony is falling apart nowadays so will their economy :coffee2:

It's the opposite. Europe was sustained for centuries by those colonized countries. Europe didn't sustain their economies at all. 

• Like 1

Who knew? You cannot sustain growth forever? Color me shocked.

I feel no one gives a sh*t anyway since no one actualy benefits from the economy growing or going down except the rich and powerful. 

I work in this stuff and it's true, globalization now means that products produced in Europe simply cannot compete with the cheap stuff coming from China/US, even after taking into account import/transportation costs.

Manufacturing will slowly die in Europe and the economy will be a services economy only + some agricultural products (which are being killed by climate change anyway :cm:)

Not to much on immigration as I think the leo-lib policies that have created mass immigration are generally cruel to the immigrants themselves but the immigrants are quite literally propping up their economy right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

Well, in part it's part because of minorities but not in the way they think. Europe sustained their econony for centuries around colonization and neocolonization policies. As their hegemony is falling apart nowadays so will their economy :coffee2:

Huh?? Girl pick up a history book

Kiii an American having a say in something he knows absolutely nothing about, as usual :dies:

Screenshot-2023-06-20-at-14.43.38-1024x5

´murica doesn't even take refugees anyway and y'all deport even the people coming to your border for a better life... so why are we even having this discussion?

Edited by igninton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

It's the opposite. Europe was sustained for centuries by those colonized countries. Europe didn't sustain their economies at all. 

Yeah, that's what I meant. When I said 'their' economy I meant the European one

2 hours ago, Terrielle said:

Huh?? Girl pick up a history book

Seems like some got it twisted. I meant their own European economy, not the economy of those colonized :rip:

• Thanks 1

Germany literally just surpassed Japan as the third biggest economy so idk where that wrong narrative comes from? 

Edited by PopKills

3 hours ago, Domination said:

Not to much on immigration as I think the leo-lib policies that have created mass immigration are generally cruel to the immigrants themselves but the immigrants are quite literally propping up their economy right now.

I do think this is an interesting point to remember around this conversation. The reality that most migration within the last two centuries has not been done out of some altruistic belief in a diverse culture but largely for the economic gain at the benefit of the host country and, for many of the migrants, a certain level of exploitation. "Brain drain" workers being swept up at the expense of their nations of origin and manual laborers like care takers being exploited and doing jobs that those in more developed economies see below them. 

Neoliberals welcome these people in to enjoy living off of them and then the contradictions of capitalism get too expansive and now people can't even afford to partake in the cheap exploited labor of migrant workers. 

2 hours ago, igninton said:

Kiii an American having a say in something he knows absolutely nothing about,

Sis, this is a logical fallacy. You are trying to convince those reading the economic information posted is false - it's not - by pivoting to America's immigration policies, on the assumption of some double standard? Despite myself being an advocate for literal open borders, let alone vocally critical of America's immigration policies.

Seems terribly dishonest and very Europe to go "but America!!" in discussions over the continent's accelerating reach into fascism. 

27 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sis, this is a logical fallacy. You are trying to convince those reading the economic information posted is false - it's not - by pivoting to America's immigration policies, on the assumption of some double standard? Despite myself being an advocate for literal open borders, let alone vocally critical of America's immigration policies.

Seems terribly dishonest and very Europe to go "but America!!" in discussions over the continent's accelerating reach into fascism. 

Call me again in a year when Mr Trump reaches the White House again and you look like a clown in this thread for- yes- presenting us with a double standard.

The reasons people are "reaching into fascism" have nothing to do with the economies shrinking, but rather the mass migration influx Europe has experienced in the last few years so for you to link those together when the conversations are literally about border security and how terrorism threat has increased to peak levels due to recent geopolitical events... is indeed a fallacy. Literally that "immigrants come to take our jobs" argument is nowhere to be seen in the conversation right now.

Glad you exposed yourself while trying to "clock" but I bet you expected a different outcome tho.

:celestial3:

Edited by igninton

43 minutes ago, igninton said:

The reasons people are "reaching into fascism" have nothing to do with the economies shrinking, but rather the mass migration influx Europe has experienced in the last few years

This theory fails given the presence of numerous far-right European nations who see little immigration and took no refugees from the Middle East. What influx of migrants pushes countries like Hungary to fascism?

Imagined fears of migrant invaders by Americans shows racist paranoia. Imagined fears of migrant invaders by Europeans shows racist paranoia. It's completely odd you're fine acknowledging one of these things and not the other. 

Immigrants are not your enemy. You don't have to be afraid of them. 

16 minutes ago, Communion said:

This theory fails given the presence of numerous far-right European nations who see little immigration and took no refugees from the Middle East. What influx of migrants pushes countries like Hungary to fascism?

Imagined fears of migrant invaders by Americans shows racist paranoia. Imagined fears of migrant invaders by Europeans shows racist paranoia. It's completely odd you're fine acknowledging one of these things and not the other. 

Honey the only theory here is you thinking Europe is one big country when most countries are polar opposites that have completely different issues, politics and interests. Comparing Hungary with Ireland or Spain to Estonia is as if I were to compare Canada with Argentina or Venezuela with the US... it makes no sense.

What in my statement made you think I am afraid of immigrants? Outside of your failure to try and twist my words... this is what I said in my post:

4 hours ago, igninton said:

´murica doesn't even take refugees anyway and y'all deport even the people coming to your border for a better life... so why are we even having this discussion?

I can only speak for myself tho and perhaps people in the country I live in, but I cannot speak for other nations just as I assume you can't speak for other nations in your continent.

I know that you think anything outside of America (as in, the misleading name you give to your country, not the actual continent which is what we know for America) everything in Europe, Africa and Asia should be the same but... do you see now how you're making a fool of yourself or are we going for one more round?

Edited by igninton

13 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sorry to step in between the conversation, but yeah, racist paranoia is real. However, I think it's at least somewhat justified for queer people in Europe to feel concerned about immigrants from countries with death penalty for homosexuals coming to Europe, if they are not willing to adapt their thinking to fit with their new home country's. Although this is mostly an issue with adult male immigrants. Women and children are more likely to adapt to new cultures rather easily. I think there's bigger cultural differences between Europe and Middle East and Africa when compared to USA and Middle and South America, especially regarding LGBTQ topics and women's rights. The rise of fascism in Europe is concerning regardless, but there's a difference between straight men or people in general just not wanting brown people to Europe compared to women and minorities already in Europe not wanting Islamic value sets, especially the Sharia Law, seeping in here -- and not bigoted Christian values either, by the way. Some queer people have escaped from Iran and Saudi Arabia etc. to ask for asylum in Europe. So the immigration challenges in USA and Europe are quite different. And again, yes, there is racism at play, but it's not always that simple.

20 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

However, I think it's at least somewhat justified for queer people in Europe to feel concerned about immigrants from countries with death penalty for homosexuals coming to Europe

You believe people who hate gay people so deeply that they want to kill them are actively migrating en masses to places where gay people are accepted? Does that sound like a logical thing that would occur to you?

(Another quirk that discredits this theory - many of the most anti-immigrant nations in Europe are not pro-LGBT. It sounds like a religious fundamentalist would fit right in with Eastern European nations where there are no-go zones for LGBT people)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.