Southwest Airlines is praised for ‘customers of size’ policy

TaggedGalaxy

13 minutes ago, Tropical said:

Literally this. My knees RAMMED hard against the back of flight chairs, even when seated as far back as possible, and then they recline and I have to contort myself into weird shapes so as to be able to move. 

There is a special spot in heII for people that recline their seats for flights where the airlines do not give extra leg room for.  (At least in the U.S. airlines have different legroom depending on long distance or short distance flights.) 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• JanStan

• TaggedGalaxy

• Alyssa Edwards

On 12/14/2023 at 4:46 AM, dumbsparce said:

If a fattie needs 2 or so seats, shouldn't they inform the airline before stepping into the plane to avoid any inconvenience to us healthy humans? What has society come to? This can not be real.

"Us healthy humans"...... HEALTHY ? Not needing two seats = HEALTHY ??????? :biblio:

• Thumbs Down 2

5 hours ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

"Us healthy humans"...... HEALTHY ? Not needing two seats = HEALTHY ??????? :biblio:

Yes?!!? Let's put it this way. If your size allows you to use just one seat then you're more likely to be healthy than someone who needs 2. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, byzantium said:

As a pretty tall person, I would like to be able to kick someone out of the emergency exit rows to accommodate my need for leg room.  

Oh, hi tall Swiftie :gaycat1:

OT: Good for them

8 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Yes?!!? Let's put it this way. If your size allows you to use just one seat then you're more likely to be healthy than someone who needs 2. 

Literally, no.

• Thumbs Down 3

People are just going to stop using the airline

and it will be the "costumers of size" airline. They'll start losing money and go back to charging the 2 tickets 

On 12/18/2023 at 11:31 AM, Cyanide said:

But if my bag is .01 lbs over I would get charged like 80 dollars lol

If this was the other way around and thin people were given discounts or free tix the tone of this thread would be completely diff 

Some airlines charge $150 for overweight bags.

On 12/18/2023 at 9:27 PM, Alyssa Edwards said:

You think a person that needs two seats because of their weight is healthy? They are most likely morbidly obese if they can’t fit in one seat.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:13 AM, KillingYourCareer said:

Omg :rip: European airlines don't need any of these policies because you don't see **** like this here :mazen:

In fairness, I once was on a flight and two Dutch “customers of size” encroached on my seat. It was really uncomfortable for me so a policy like this would have been useful. Although I’d say it probably should be prebook only. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Ryanair have a seat size example at the gate and make “customers of size” sit in it like they do for large bags.

The comments in here a disturbing and disgusting tbh, anyways I knew Southwest was my favorite airline for a reason :clap3:

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 11:33 AM, JanStan said:

Wait. It isn’t just referring to obese people but who other than obese people are requesting two seats?

You'd be surprised at how many people are tall and would require the space for two seats, especially on a Southwest aircraft. Their seats are very close together and very small which make it an extremely economical option. I dont see how many people 6 ft tall and over would sit very comfortably in those seats based on their height alone, and they could feasibly qualify to get reimbursed based on their "size" with this policy in place if they buy two tickets. 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:31 AM, Cyanide said:

But if my bag is .01 lbs over I would get charged like 80 dollars lol

If this was the other way around and thin people were given discounts or free tix the tone of this thread would be completely diff 

Southwest allows you to check 2 bags per person for free so this is already a stupid point to bring up. They're arguably the most accommodating airline currently flying around the US all around. 

I'm all for plus size people being accommodated, that isn't an issue at all. They need to be accommodated by being allowed to purchase two seats. If my flight experience was disrupted solely because of someone being plus size and they were getting my seat for free, I'd raise hell.

If you prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance, you have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing your seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at the departure gate. If it’s determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, you’ll be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat. 

"If you prefer," is an issue. They need to be required to purchase an additional seat. If they're not able to for a particular flight, then they are the ones who need to be put on a different flight. They know they're overweight. And this is not about political correctness, or not, it's about whats fair and makes sense. If you're overweight and need an extra seat, then buy another seat.

• Like 1

This is only ok if there was extra room in the plane to accommodate obese individuals. It's totally not fair at all when someone in a full flight who paid for the tickets is kicked out to accommodate fat people. Plane tickets are expensive. And even if they were refunded, time is precious. What if the person who got kicked out bought the tickets because of an emergency? I hope people who got kicked out sue the companies for such stupid and unfair policies. This is only encouraging bad and unhealthy habits.

Edited by What_A_Mess

17 hours ago, TiaTamera said:

Some airlines charge $150 for overweight bags.

You think a person that needs two seats because of their weight is healthy? They are most likely morbidly obese if they can’t fit in one seat.

I'm saying somebody that needs two seats to be FULLY comfortable can absolutely be healthier than someone skinny.

The original post saying "us healthy people" is such bullsh*t because the most unhealthy people i know are literally the skinniest.

Being fat does NOT mean your health is bad and being skinny or fit does not mean you're healthy.

2 hours ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

I'm saying somebody that needs two seats to be FULLY comfortable can absolutely be healthier than someone skinny.

The original post saying "us healthy people" is such bullsh*t because the most unhealthy people i know are literally the skinniest.

Being fat does NOT mean your health is bad and being skinny or fit does not mean you're healthy.

Baby girl, fat people (overweight) can fit in one seat, the ones who need two to FULLY be comfortable are obese. Obese isn’t healthy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lgaga1fan said:

Southwest allows you to check 2 bags per person for free so this is already a stupid point to bring up. They're arguably the most accommodating airline currently flying around the US all around. 

Okay? Do you realize how morbidly obese you need to be to take up two seats? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.