Stanford twin research indicates that a vegan diet improves cardiovascular health

GraceRandolph

In a study with 22 pairs of identical twins, Stanford Medicine researchers and their colleagues have found that a vegan diet improves cardiovascular health in as little as eight weeks.

Although it’s well-known that eating less meat improves cardiovascular health, diet studies are often hampered by factors such as genetic differences, upbringing and lifestyle choices. By studying identical twins, however, the researchers were able to control for genetics and limit the other factors, as the twins grew up in the same households and reported similar lifestyles.

“Not only did this study provide a groundbreaking way to assert that a vegan diet is healthier than the conventional omnivore diet, but the twins were also a riot to work with,” said Christopher Gardner, PhD, the Rehnborg Farquhar Professor and a professor of medicine. “They dressed the same, they talked the same and they had a banter between them that you could have only if you spent an inordinate amount of time together.”

The study published Nov. 30 in JAMA Network Open. Gardner is the senior author. The study was co-first authored by Matthew Landry, PhD, a former Stanford Prevention Research Center postdoctoral scholar, now at the University of California, Irvine, and Catherine Ward, PhD, a post-doctoral scholar at the center.

Read more about the study here: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2023/11/twin-diet-vegan-cardiovascular.html

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Have fun living to 100 eating only seeds and leaves :mazen: 

Some of us are living our short lives to the fullest 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Take Me Apart said:

to the fullest = bringing death and chaos to other sentient beings and our future generations?  Nice boomer mentality!

-----

OT: WBK. Going vegan means improving as a human being in all the possible ways  :bird:

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator

nothing new but his conclusion What’s more important than going strictly vegan is including more plant-based foods into your diet,” said Gardner, who has been “mostly vegan” for the last 40 years. “Luckily, having fun with vegan multicultural foods like Indian masala, Asian stir-fry and African lentil-based dishes can be a great first step.” It can get hard to get all the needed nutrients from just a vegan diet without access to supplements

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Take Me Apart said:

Just say you don't know how to cook or eat well, lol. Get into cooking for yourself and your friends; it's surprisingly fun. 

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Take Me Apart said:

You have to just eat fast food if you think this is a fair representation of vegan/plant-based foods.

2 hours ago, Take Me Apart said:

You sound like an alcoholic who can’t imagine someone living a fulfilled life unless they get plastered as often as possible. :deadbanana: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tsareena said:

It can get hard to get all the needed nutrients from just a vegan diet without access to supplements

Appreciate you highlighting the importance of adding plant-based foods to everyone’s diets in general, but I would like to push back on this common “caveat” about vegetarianism and veganism. I always feel like it is presented as this big obstacle to healthy living, or an unfair economic barrier. 

The only thing you truly need to supplement as a vegan or vegetarian is B12. That’s it. And that’s only if you somehow manage to avoid all the B12-fortified foods. And if you really need to, you can get 2 months of B12 tablets for $5-6. 

Everything else you can / do get from foods that you should be eating whether you eat meat or not! But the truth is that most people (or most Americans, at least) don’t eat a well balanced diet, period. If someone is an “unhealthy” vegan lacking in nutrients, they were probably an unhealthy meat eater too. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bloo said:

You have to just eat fast food if you think this is a fair representation of vegan/plant-based foods.

I've had vegan food before and it was okay at best.

Most of it was covered in various spices and herbs, which doesn't bother me, but sometimes I just want a Steak that was cooked in butter with some thyme, and no vegan meal will ever provide that for me.

17 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Appreciate you highlighting the importance of adding plant-based foods to everyone’s diets in general, but I would like to push back on this common “caveat” about vegetarianism and veganism. I always feel like it is presented as this big obstacle to healthy living, or an unfair economic barrier. 

The only thing you truly need to supplement as a vegan or vegetarian is B12. That’s it. And that’s only if you somehow manage to avoid all the B12-fortified foods. And if you really need to, you can get 2 months of B12 tablets for $5-6. 

Everything else you can / do get from foods that you should be eating whether you eat meat or not! But the truth is that most people (or most Americans, at least) don’t eat a well balanced diet, period. If someone is an “unhealthy” vegan lacking in nutrients, they were probably an unhealthy meat eater too. 

Not to mention a ton of meat eaters are deficient in B12 or other vital nutrients, if not fiber. 

• Like 1

I know so many fat vegans / vegetarians :ahh: just because you restrict yourself from meat doesn't mean you'll be eating healthily 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Luckily I live in a country where it is very easy to be vegan. We have a vegan alternative for everything. I'm currently switching from a vegetarian to a vegan diet. You notice the positive effect. I feel much better and lighter on a vegan diet.

Some people sound like they are addicted to meat. I find the behavior of some people in the West quite decadent. You're not going to die just because you don't get a steak with butter.

Edited by Anthinos

5 hours ago, Vespertine said:

A vegan diet is even cheaper in my opinion. Personally, I take V12 and Omega 3. To get enough Omega 3 I would have to eat a fatty fish every week. Fish is expensive in my country. My O3 capsules last 3 months and cost as much as eating fish for a month. Vegan products are now just as expensive or sometimes cheaper than their non-vegan versions. If you become vegan you have to think more about your diet. It's more complex. But it's not more expensive (in my country).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janet said:

I know so many fat vegans / vegetarians :ahh: just because you restrict yourself from meat doesn't mean you'll be eating healthily 

No one said all vegans are healthy though? Just that it might be a better diet for cardiovascular health. 

2 hours ago, Janet said:

And just because you’re fat doesn’t mean you’re unhealthy 

I eat meat but it’s glaringly obvious that veganism is the way to go in the future. Meat should become a luxury only eaten on special occasions 

I wouldn't mind giving up on meat, but it's impossible to give up on dairy. There's just no good enough alternatives. 

52 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

I wouldn't mind giving up on meat, but it's impossible to give up on dairy. There's just no good enough alternatives. 

I’m wondering what dairy alternatives will look like in a decade. Meat alternatives are pretty great. 

5 hours ago, ontherocks said:

Lemme grab my chicken wing to munch on!

Wow groundbreaking. Does it give you a thrill to contribute to animal exploitation? 

never understood the meat-eaters hatred of veganism and constant moaning about "where is the meat?". like... eating a couple plant-based meals a week won't kill you.

I've seen some crazy stories of people refusing to attend a wedding if it's vegan. y'all really can't go a few hours without meat?? that's crazy, grow up

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wow groundbreaking. Does it give you a thrill to contribute to animal exploitation? 

Tuesdays & Thursdays 

Cool good to know. Can’t wait to have my medium rare steak later :yum:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.