Civil War | A24 Movie by Alex Garland with Kirsten Dunst | April 26 | Trailer Out

ChapelHooker

This looks very...traditional for Alex Garland? I'm here for Kirsten and Ozempic! Plemmons however.

• Like 1

Hoping this has a more dark and deeper exploration of the racism, classism, and prejudice in the US, cause it kinda looks… surface level based on the trailer.

Gotta say looks great and with scale.

Big budget for A24?

Not sure what is the appetite from audience for this tho

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ctlp27 said:

Big budget for A24?

Yeah, they announced that they would invest in bigger budgets + their exclusive contracts with HBO Max. 

• Thanks 1

Looks interesting but too realistic for me. Like I’m afraid this will inspire the far right groups in the US to do this for real 

• Like 1

A bit on the nose but it still looks really intriguing. Depending on how Garland handled the politics, I think this could be another breakout of sorts for A24. Especially as they try to make moves into a more commercial space. 

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

I’m definitely intrigued by the trailer. I could see it being more of an exciting watch than actually being a deep or thought-provoking social commentary.

Yeah I’m not sure about this one with a rather on the nose trailer but this strong cast at least will keep me intrigued for now

• 3 months later...

well, this opens with a 72 on Metacritic after premiering at SXSW, with very positive reactions all over twitter. 

From the twitter raves I expected it to be +90%, but we're seated 

Looking forward to seeing it in Imax. Am a fan of Garland's films besides Men

Twitter is loving this :chick2:

• 4 weeks later...

This was a pretty good movie. Trailers definitely made this seem much more action packed than it is. The gunfire made me jump multiple times :rip: 

Cailee Spaney is probably gonna be getting a lot of work. She was great in this and Priscilla. 

• Like 1

barbiegrande

From what I've heard it's lacking on story and characters 

this kinda sucked for me and i was really looking forward to it

the main male character was like ….. so gross and so not someone you wanted to root for the entire movie :skull: 

lordt this **** was painful :bibliahh:

i highly recommend ppl do not see this thing, it's gruesome and miserable with literally zero redeeming qualities :rip:

1 hour ago, WildAmerican said:

lordt this **** was painful :bibliahh:

i highly recommend ppl do not see this thing, it's gruesome and miserable with literally zero redeeming qualities :rip:

It was painful to watch. The worst role of Kirsten Dunst's career as well. :rip: 

• Thanks 1

I'm curious about this movie, I normally like plausible scenario movies that could actually happens now or in a near future but I read it's missing the political issues that cause the actual conflict and I think it's because the director didn't wanted to look biased on one or another point of view but still, I think understanding why the conflict happened is primordial to totally be part of the movie

I'll still watch it soon 

This was so good.  I loved that it wasn't a typical apocalyptic/destruction movie and actually built up the tension. There were so many scenes I actually gasped at like in a horror movie.  Kirsten Dunst & Jesse Plemons were great,  with Wagner Moura adding some comic relief in between. Alex Garland did that again :clap3:

• Like 2

This was not good imo

As someone who hates jump scares, this was the most stressful movie to sit through :rip: I nearly had a heart attack at all the loud sudden gun shots 

• Thanks 1

Personally, kinda loved it. Wonderful direction. It simultaneously felt accurate and realistic to our world yet seperate and unreal enough. And the way they filmed the scenes of warfare were horrific yet beautiful.

I appreciated how they avoided party politics in favor of clever probing. The way they used rumination on the ethics and perspective of war photographers to build the pov of the film, and by extension force audiences to pose their own questions, was very smart imo. 

I do think that Kirsten Dunst's character wasn't always the most easy to sympathize with, but I don't patron art just to watch loveable characters. It's a very honest look at someone in that field and the mindset they could develop. And watching her struggle with it and even contradict it at times was fascinating and moving. Pairing this with Fincher's The Killer would actually be an interesting double feature imo.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.