HONESTLY, 2023. - Singles Top 25 + Finished!

TRF.

2WW89F2.png

This year has been incredibly tough, if not just straight-up awful in my opinion, only rivaling 2020 in levels of how terrible things were. Lots of horrible news constantly, having to go through some genuinely upsetting stuff, it's something I'm eager to leave behind for good, but honestly? Looking at the state of things, I still have a lingering feeling that it might just get worse.

But we have to keep it pushing no matter what, right?

Music has always been good as a coping mechanism for me personally, and this year it has been no exception. Either as a method of "escapism", or as a way to mirror the sentiments of anger or sadness you might be going through, it is something that's always reliable. I feel like, aside from being a ranking of What I Believe Is Best (whatever that might be), I feel like all these records, songs, videos, etc. are here because they meant something among this uncertainty. Also it's always fun (albeit time-consuming) to do these year-end round-ups and I really need them this time around, so let's get to it!

CWsDGob.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Legend E

• Alldeezy

• TheWayWeWere

RESERVED FOR:

Top 50 Albums

Top 100 Singles

Top 20 EPs

Top 20 Music Videos

(maybe)

Top 10 Mixtapes

Favourite Album Covers

Cannot wait to see what is in store here.

ready for this :duca:

2WW89F2.png

rtA2wDg.png

#20.

María Becerra — “Corazón vacio” (dir. Julián Levy)

Shows something that is a reality to working-class, young single mothers not just in Argentina, but pretty much all over the world, in a way that is very genuine and heartwarming. I am, however, not entirely sure what it has to do with the content of the song itself, but I appreciate the intention, I guess?

#19.

PinkPantheress, Ice Spice — “Boy’s a Liar pt.2” (dir. George Buford/Frederick Buford)

Even moreso than the song itself, the video was pretty much a star-making moment for both artists, all owing to their style and the insane chemistry they have. I also have to acknowledge that it achieves the very rare thing of Actually Making Me Want to Go to New York City.

#18.

Slayyyter — “Erotic Electronic” (dir. Kaitlyn Muro/Slayyyter)

While I’m sure Slayyyter could pull off the major-label, glossy popstar image (as she often does sound-wise in her STARFUCKER album), I cannot imagine a visual being more representative of this notably sleazy track than this DIY (legally questionable?) music video is. 15 dollars spent really well if you ask me!

#17.

Evian Christ, Bladee — “Yxguden” (dir. Misha Klein)

Evian Christ’s long-awaited debut album is an homage to all things trance music, so it would only make sense that the video feels very much like it. Created with the help of legendary animator Misha Klein, one of the originators of that Y2K aesthetic, the early CGI visuals are a perfect match for the hyperactive and odd energy of the song.

#16.

Little Simz — “Gorilla” (dir. Dave Meyers)

Congratulations Dave Meyers on making your first good music video in like, 5 years!

#15.

Taichu, rusowsky — “Payday” (dir. Juli Grass)

Taichu’s video for “Payday” is her best yet, a representation of her bad-girl “hotcore” aesthetic but with a futuristic, digital twist. Also, it’s nice how anyone that’s ever been to Buenos Aires even for a couple days will probably recognize those streets.

#14.

Björk, Rosalía — “Oral” (dir. Carlota Guerrero)

Deepfake technology has become more common throughout the years, and while in my opinion it mostly has had negative results, it’s nice to see it be put to good use. It looks uncanny yes, but none of the artists involved are strangers to it at all. Also see Shygirl’s “BDE (Florentino Remix)” and Faraonika’s “Distraída” music videos for a similar effect in different contexts. Ducking ’em like Björk indeed!

#13.

Weyes Blood — “God Turn Me Into a Flower” (dir. Adam Curtis)

Making a music video (mostly) consisting of pre-existing footage can feel like either a statement or an afterthought. This is definitely the former, in a similar way to Life Sim’s “IDL”, this feels like a homage to filmmaking and visual media in general, of how can reflect the human condition in all its pain and glory, with genuinely moving results.

#12.

Desire Marea — “Be Free” (dir. Imraan Christian)

A homage to black, queer South African love and hardship, Desire Marea’s video for “Be Free” has a stunning cinematography, an incredibly cool-looking styling and wardrobe, and to top it all off, a great storytelling that does a really great job at capturing the track’s tension and passion.

#11.

Tinashe — “Needs” (dir. Sammy Rawal)

One of the struggles Tinashe encountered when making art independently is the budgeting for visuals, but this is further proof that you don’t need a (very) high-budget to make an excellent music video. That being said, the deli meat (?) on her body when she says “my body is a buffet” does not look exactly appetizing.

I love Erotic Electronic + Needs MVs, low budget queens :jonny2:

Boys A Liar was cute but I don't remember much going on in the video tbh :rip: 

58 minutes ago, TRF. said:

2WW89F2.png

#19.

PinkPantheress, Ice Spice — “Boy’s a Liar pt.2” (dir. George Buford/Frederick Buford)

Even moreso than the song itself, the video was pretty much a star-making moment for both artists, all owing to their style and the insane chemistry they have. I also have to acknowledge that it achieves the very rare thing of Actually Making Me Want to Go to New York City.

Bop :clap3:

Boy's A Liar, Pt. 2 :spin: that song truly never gets old :mandown:

pinkpantheress, ice spice, bjork, rosalia, and tinashe :jonny4:

2WW89F2.png

rtA2wDg.png

#10.

Ralphie Choo, Mura Masa — “Máquina culona” (dir. Roy Viceroy)
Has the same effect that some of the early CANADA-directed/produced music videos did in my opinion, especially the oddball, cool-yet-slightly-unnerving energy of “Bombay” by his compatriot El Guincho, one of my favorite videos of all time, so of course I love it.

#9.

Dua Lipa — “Houdini” (dir. Manu Cossu)

Not like Dua Lipa would need any further confirmation that she’s a Main Pop Girl, but the “Houdini” music video is her basically flexing that privilege, and doing it very well. The nod to Madonna’s “Hung Up”, the choreography, the looks are all great, but the scene with the mirrors and the lighting is what really sold it for me.

#8.

AgusFortnite2008 — “Malvinas Argentinas” (dir. Icy Genesis/Román Ickowicz)
EL QUE NO SALTA ES UN INGLÉS.

#7.

Hemlocke Springs — “Sever the Blight” (dir. Ana Peralta Chong)
From the medieval-like costumes, to the storytelling, the animated backgrounds and the acting, the effort put into this video really shows in the best way possible. While I enjoyed “Girlfriend”; this video is really what made me be fully on-board of the Hemlocke Springs hype train.

#6.

Troye Sivan — “Got Me Started” (dir. Gordon von Steiner)
Both the “Rush” video (controversy aside) and the “One of Your Girls” video are really good on their own, but from this era, to me this is a clear favorite. Probably the coolest-looking thing Troye Sivan has ever done in general. I’m a very simple man, I see a Wong Kar-Wai reference, I stan.

#5.

NewJeans — “Cool with You/Get Up (side B)” (dir. Wooseok Shin)
All of the NewJeans music videos this era have been great, far and above the typical K-pop video even within the newer gens, but this is a clear favorite for me. As I said right before: I’m a very simple man, I see a Wong Kar-Wai reference, I stan.

#4.

Tyler the Creator — “Sorry Not Sorry” (dir. Tyler the Creator)
One of the biggest appeals of Tyler the Creator is his visual identity, breaking through in part with the controversial “Yonkers” video way back in 2011. On the video for “Sorry Not Sorry” he tackles (metaphorically and… literally?) and comments on every era and persona he’s ever had, and is one of the best music videos of his career in my opinion.

#3.

Tainy, Young Miko, J Balvin, Jowell & Randy — “Colmillo” (dir. Pau Carrete)
Delightfully weird, I love it when mainstream artists take risks on making visuals that would purposefully put people off when it’s actually done really well — this music video is what would happen if Jon Rafman wasn’t a loser degenerate hack. Would probably be even higher than #3. if not for the fact that seeing J Balvin with grills is, in fact, one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen.

#2.

Kelela — “Enough for Love” (dir. Yasser Abubeker)
Amazing cinematography, amazing setting, conveys the despair and the warmth expressed in the song, but most importantly, makes me want to go to Brazil as soon as possible. And if I had to make a choice for the best two seconds in a music video this year, it would be the cut between her bed and the sea at around the 1:06 mark, it is insanely well done.

#1.

Mette — “Mama’s Eyes” (dir. Camille Summers-Ville)
There’s times when seeing an artist’s music video for the first time, you can instantly see how they’re gonna become a star. Happened to me with Lana Del Rey in 2011 with “Video Games”, with Rosalía in 2018 with “Malamente”. Technically, Mette’s moment had already happened in 2017 — she was the dancer on the viral music video “Lemon” by N*E*R*D and Rihanna.

But 6 years later, she’s trying to cement herself as a singer, and “Mama’s Eyes” is a brilliant introduction. Not only is it a great demonstration of her talents as a dancer, but what makes this work is its editing, which grabs your attention unlike any other pop video I’ve seen this year. Even though her EP was a bit of a mixed-bag, just for this video alone (and “Van Gogh”, which would’ve made it onto the list if it weren’t for my self-imposed rule of one video per artist) I am already guaranteed to be paying attention to her for a long time.

Boy's a liar + needs + Houdini + got me started :alexz:

My king. Lots of these videos would be on my list too if I made one! Enough for Love would be my #1 tho.

Another year where I didn't watch a lot of music videos at all :lakitu: Boy's a Liar pt. 2 was cute. I actually haven't checked out Houdini, surprisingly :skull: Got Me Started yesssss, I mean all 3 of his music videos were on point this year. Waittt your #1 :clap3: I rewatched that music video just last week, it is INSANELY well done, especially the editing!!! Great choice.

The aesthetic for Houdini, Got Me Started and Sorry Not Sorry are such a serve, i'm kinda obsessed with it :clap3:

Enough for Love MV is also really fitting in the album's aesthetic context :clap3:

This music videos list is simply fantastic. Cool With You (both parts) is my VOTY, so charming in being an antithesis to all these flagship overblown, flashy kpop videos. Sorry Not Sorry, Gorilla, Enough for Love, Got Me Started :clap3::clap3::clap3:

On 12/13/2023 at 4:06 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

My king. Lots of these videos would be on my list too if I made one! Enough for Love would be my #1 tho.

Well yes! I mean it was #1. for me until I saw the Mette video in like September lol.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

The aesthetic for Houdini, Got Me Started and Sorry Not Sorry are such a serve, i'm kinda obsessed with it :clap3:

Enough for Love MV is also really fitting in the album's aesthetic context :clap3:

exactly... like the water motives... her brain is so advanced is insane.

On 12/14/2023 at 5:07 AM, Remmy said:

Another year where I didn't watch a lot of music videos at all :lakitu: Boy's a Liar pt. 2 was cute. I actually haven't checked out Houdini, surprisingly :skull: Got Me Started yesssss, I mean all 3 of his music videos were on point this year. Waittt your #1 :clap3: I rewatched that music video just last week, it is INSANELY well done, especially the editing!!! Great choice.

Thank you!! It really is a stunning music video!

On 12/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, BlackoutZone said:

This music videos list is simply fantastic. Cool With You (both parts) is my VOTY, so charming in being an antithesis to all these flagship overblown, flashy kpop videos. Sorry Not Sorry, Gorilla, Enough for Love, Got Me Started :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Exactlyyy you get it! I think all (or most of) the videos this era have been quite refreshing for the... extra-ness of K-pop videos overall recently.

---

Anyways next update TOP 10 MIXTAPES coming in a few mins hopefully! Also will be commenting on your updates tomorrow. :) 

TOP 10 MIXTAPES

a1749276532_10.jpg

#10.

King Vision Ultra

Shook World (Hosted by Algiers)

(experimental hip hop/sound collage)

LISTEN

a2992592492_16.jpg

#9.

Rx Papi

Dawg World

(trap/gangsta rap)

LISTEN

500x500.jpg

#8.

Akriila

(trap)

LISTEN

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

#7.

Dano

El hombre hace planes, Dios se rie

(hardcore hip hop)

LISTEN

ab67616d0000b2731fe6f544f332e7cd9433a6d9

#6.

Doly Flackko

Hotel Patagonia

(detroit trap)

LISTEN

ab67616d0000b2739b98398c0e194594fee7d5a0

#5.

TisaKorean

Let Me Update My Status

(snap)

LISTEN

a2070335997_10.jpg

#4.

Magdalena Bay

mini mix vol. 3

(synthpop/chillwave)

LISTEN

Magdalena Bay's mini-mixes are a collection of short tracks that, despite being ideas or concepts made between releases, still sound like fully-fledged songs. Following their incredible debut album Mercurial World, they've released the third installation in this series, Mini Mix Vol. 3. In comparison to the other two, this one is much more subtle, less frenetic rhythms and hyperactive hooks and is more ethereal, psychedelic at times, but without losing their charming approach to electronic-pop.

artworks-HjHFyQ7u50zCOHTp-AinOhw-t500x50

#3.

Stiffy

STIFFYTHOVEN

(bop)

LISTEN

Argentinian rappers Stiffy and AgusFortnite2008's music is absolutely drenched in irony and humor, and for many it might be way too much. But on his debut mixtape STIFFYTHOVEN, Stiffy delivers one catchy hook after another over impressive production that sounds like a legitimate homage to early Chief Keef or Sicko Mobb, and if he can get a chuckle out of you, that's a bonus. Or said differently:

SI BEETHOVEN ESCUCHA ESTO, SE PEGA UN CORCHAZO

9ed7ccf135146a21ceead95c369e8021.jpg

#2.

Snow Strippers

April Mixtape 3

(electropop/electroclash)

LISTEN

Snow Strippers' music is definitely influenced by electroclash and late-00s/early-10s internet genres like witch house, and to point out they sound a lot like Crystal Castles is at this point redundant. But derivative as it may seem at first glance, one thing the Detroit duo know how to do is make bangers. And on April Mixtape 3 they deliver exactly that, 16 tracks that never go down in energy, not even for a minute. Can't believe they're not Canadian!

jim-legxacy-hnpm-1620x1620.jpg

#1.

Jim Legxacy

homeless ***** pop music

Genre: Alternative R&B, Pop Rap, Emo Rap, Alté

Afroswing, UK Hip Hop, UK Garage, Alt-Pop, Midwest Emo

Label: (!) || From: Lewisham, UK || Release date: April 26

Lewisham singer/rapper/producer Jim Legxacy has a very unique vision of pop music. While on his debut mixtape HNPM you can hear the influence of London pop/rap music and from his Nigerian heritage, it goes way beyond borders. There's a strong presence from 2000s emo in its guitar samples and his lyrics/singing, but only mentioning that would cover like 50% of everything going on here, you have to listen to believe it.

LISTEN

I'm obsessed with Magdalena Bay and their mini mixes. The new album is going to be a serve i just know it :jonny:

this set up is so good omg?? yall so creative with these

Edited by GreatestLoveofAll
editing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.