HONESTLY, 2023. - Singles Top 25 + Finished!

TRF.

might have to get into your number one :duca: 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Legend E

• Alldeezy

• TheWayWeWere

April Mixtape 2 outsold but 3 had a few bangers too, Under Your Spell is their best song :jonny5: loved their new ep too

NewJeans amazing videos yuppp :clap3:

Hey! Sorry I've been M.I.A. (no antivax!) for a bit but my country, Argentina, has been going through some... stuff :rip: which has made it hard for me to keep up with things especially as the work from my job(s) has been accumulating. But here comes a big update to keep you entertained! I'll try to comment on your stuff and be more active from now on too :)

2WW89F2.png

M0jepiY.png

1*_dA_BO5y_YvX0FFGEtek6g.jpeg

#20.

forever☆

3 Series

Genre: shoegaze/jungle || Label: à La Carte Records || From: Kansas City, USA

The cross between shoegaze and drum and bass/jungle is not exactly new, but there’s still potential for more. Kansas City band forever☆ are exploring all of those possibilities. On their debut EP, titled 3 Series in a very self-explaining way, they deliver three tracks that go full in into that: reverb-heavy vocals, distorted guitars and Amen breaks all in one, it’s a blast of energy that, even in a shoegaze-saturated indie-adjacent world, is actually refreshing.

LISTEN

1*tHeOoY8vKaHsBPuOFydcDw.png

#19.

YUKIKA

Time-Lapse

Genre: k-pop/city pop || Label: self-released || From: Hamamatsu, Japan/Seoul, South Korea

We thought we’d seen the last of YUKIKA but I guess we were wrong! On her latest mini-album Time-Lapse, the Japanese-Korean singer covers old city-pop classics that, without looking to “update” them, still has a modern sheen to it that feels genuinely great to hear. There’s a possiblity that this might be the final YUKIKA release, but for the sake of all of us fans of great pop music, I hope it’s not the case.

LISTEN

1*mKHyabQCCL-W2h0iOcIFzA.jpeg

#18.

BAMBII

Infinity Club

Genre: uk bass/dancehall || Label: Innovative Leisure || From: Toronto, Canada

Fresh off of contributing to Kelela’s much-anticipated second album Raven, Toronto producer BAMBii dropped her debut EP Infinity Club. Inspired by lots of different Afro-diasporic electronic dance music like dancehall, UK garage, reggaetón, jungle or grime, the producer melts all of these influences into a sensual, ecstatic mix. Whether slow and melodic or fast-paced and high-energy, it certainly stays true to its name as a very effective record designed for the clubs at its core.

LISTEN

1*QG4BZ41qYUh_-1M2qJrJKQ.png

#17.

Tara Clerkin Trio

On the Turning Ground

Genre: art pop/downtempo || Label: World of Echo || From: Bristol, UK

Bristol band Tara Clerkin Trio (an apt name, as they’re a trio led by experimental composer Tara Clerkin) pays homage to their roots with On the Turning Ground, on which the presence the sound of fellow Bristol acts like Portishead or Tricky is heavily felt. But they don’t just stay still on trip-hop, they can expand that into minimalist-jazz, ambient music or artsy-pop, and for a record this “experimental”, it feels very warm and welcoming.

LISTEN

1*hOND_noJ58gFhys4nAMMFA.png

#16.

FAST 5

Genre: trap/cloud rap || Label: Surf Gang || From: Orlando, USA

454 is no stranger to melodic, airy sounding production, but Fast 5, his collaboration with the Surf Gang crew, is on a next level. Produced in large part by Evilgiane with contributions from Eera and 454 himself, its five tracks sound very smooth all the way through, almost bordering on ambient music, but never losing the high energy that characterizes his best work. Definitely helps that the Black Kray aka Sickboyrari feature kills it too.

LISTEN

1*HR0gOI6qYndvOz7Y8rAPCQ.png

#15.

Agazero

Broken Particles

Genre: deconstructed club || Label: Precious Metals || From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Under many pseudonyms, producer Agazero (or DJ LHC, Vó1d, 177th) is part of a growing group of Brazilian musicians working within the overlap of experimental dance music and sound design. On Broken Particles, released by Endgame’s Precious Metals label, he designs a post-club experience that takes from the weirder edges of baile funk as much as from atmospheric IDM, which feels thrilling to hear. After all, there’s a reason he’s on Kelela’s remix album twice!

LISTEN

1*y-EjDE0qYqJcRz14-lKGMQ.png

#14.

Jlin

Perspective

Genre: footwork/idm/classical? || Label: Planet Mu || From: Gary, USA

It kinda has to be impossible for Jlin to miss. The producer/composer has long ago transcended the parameters of footwork, and her latest mini-album Perspective is further proof of that. Initially composed as part of an acoustic performance with Third Coast Percussion which ended up with a Pulitzer Price nomination, you can hear more organic-sounding percussion and a very noticeable presence of minimalist classical music within her characteristic sound, it leaves you wanting more.

LISTEN

1*ERC8yhRLr1vTYszeqLFplA.png

#13.

Addison Rae

AR

Genre: dance-pop/electropop || Label: Sandlot || From: Los Angeles, USA

Addison Rae’s music career quickly went from a meme to a “what-could’ve-been” situation, if anything at the sheer surprise that the music from someone primarily known as a TikTok influencer was… good? After the leaks and anticipation, Addison finally dropped the AR EP, and it was worth the hype. It’s pop music without pretension, all tracks are insanely catchy and she has enough personality to sell it. I hope she continues with her pop-girl era!

LISTEN

1*RVmfYPGHWRQo3GM36LfUAg.png

1*g1Lrennw8BeFglXO8JT8Jw.png

#12.

Dreamcrusher

Suite Two

Genre: power electronics/power noise || Label: PTP || From: Wichita, USA

Dreamcrusher’s music will always be hard on your ears, but that’s what you’re looking for, right? On their Suite Two EP they compile three tracks that had been part of their live shows throughout the years, but never made it onto a record — including a cover of sorts of Benny Benassi’s “Satisfaction”. The result is essentially what you would expect, noise music at its best, the kind that feels overwhelming, yet at the same time, cathartic.

LISTEN

#11.

Javiera Electra

Reprís

Genre: psychedelic folk || Label: SurPop || From: Concepción, Chile

This was the latest addition to the list! Released on November, the Reprís EP by Chilean musician Javiera Electra is inspired by the country’s folk music traditions like cueca in its rhythmic pattern or the nueva canción movement in its lyrical content, but on a Grouper-like style… it sounds somewhat haunted, heavy on reverb and distortion at times yet shockingly clear at others. As a first introduction to this artist, it’s enough to make me a fan for sure.

LISTEN

2WW89F2.png

M0jepiY.png

1*sntijQT8hzajl4_csqz8Fg.png

#10.

Feli Colina

LXS INFERNALES (del valle encantado)

Genre: art pop/argentinian folk || Label: Geiser || From: Salta, Argentina

One of my favorite albums of 2022 was Feli Colina’s El valle encantado, which took inspiration from Argentinian and Latin American folkloric music. On LXS INFERNALES (del valle encantado), a continuation of the world she’s built with her previous album, she mostly covers songs that have belonged to the Argentinian psyche for decades, if not longer. She takes all these chacareras, chayas and carnavalitos, transforming them into excellent, unique pop music without losing any authenticity.

LISTEN

1*1dUrrMo5wZ0JTAQXGvRvSQ.jpeg

>

#9.

untitled (halo)

towncryer

Genre: dream pop/slowcore/neo-psych || Label: halocorp || From: Los Angeles, California

The music of California trio untitled (halo) feels eerie, like, uncanny, digitalized versions of music from the past you can’t really pinpoint from when. Their debut EP towncryer is composed of six tracks that in its own way feel like that, you can maybe hear nods to psychedelic rock, slowcore, shoegaze and trip hop but don’t feel exactly like the way you remember them to be. If “nightmare-pop” was a genre, this would be it.

LISTEN

1*8hh4H5VMdxNHrvKPdjh5fg.png

#8.

Nia Archives

Sunrise Bang Your Head Against tha Wall

Genre: jungle/neo-soul || Label: Island || From: London, UK

London producer/vocalist Nia Archives’ 2022 EP Forbidden Feelingz was a true breakthrough, a full dive into jungle from a uniquely contemporary point of view. While it is true that her major label debut, Sunrise Bang Ur Head Against tha Wall, has quite a few approachable tracks, it’s also a chance to show her songwriting chops just as much as she does her production, with plenty of d’n’b/jungle bangers that won’t leave your head.

LISTEN

1*1yKQxFWnE5hmLSzNn6kpQA.jpeg

#7.

full body 2

infinity signature

Genre: shoegaze/indietronica || Label: self-released || From: Philadelphia, USA

Philadelphia-via-Rochester band full body 2 have become one of my most beloved bands to appear in recent years. Their fusion of shoegaze and electronic music presented on their previous EPs was something that felt special, and on their most recent and so far their lengthiest release, infinity signature, they fully deliver on that promise. Nostalgic-yet-futuristic, sounding truly massive all the time, if there’s any Shoegaze Philly Band you have to listen to, it’s this one.

LISTEN

1*Wq0QObo5MMRO29ObwhGQuQ.png

#6.

Six Sex

6X

Genre: reggaetón || Label: Dale Play || From: Hurlingham, Argentina

While less “experimental” than last year’s AREA 69 breakout EP, Argentinian vocalist Six Sex’s latest 6X still has the charm and sensuality, as well as the influences from RKT and rave music, that can make her stand out from anyone in the world of reggaetón. And while most of the production on the tracks was handled by producers from Mexico City, it still feels very much like something only someone from Zona Oeste could’ve made.

LISTEN

1*w6rldzAC76xuMpxRso9yzg.png

#5.

Estratosfera

Genre: experimental hip hop/glitch pop || Label: self-released || From: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Laura Ferreira is the guitarist of Argentinian alt-rock/shoegaze band Nenagenix, who had a breakthrough year of their own in the Buenos Aires underground. Her Estratosfera project, however, is definitely far from the guitar-heavy work of her group, rather focusing on aggressive, hard-hitting electronic music inspired by post-club sounds, experimental pop and rap that can sound really cold at times and incredibly intimate at others. Crafted alongside like-minded artists like her bandmate Dayvan, Qiri, Evar, TAICHU and Six Sex, her debut EP 1 is a futuristic-sounding collage that feels like a breath of fresh air for the Argentinian music scene.

LISTEN

1*Tpn_uOlvUFjEk1J8lARwcQ.png

#4.

NewJeans

Get Up

Genre: k-pop/r&b/uk garage || Label: ADOR || From: Seoul, South Korea

One of the most hyped K-pop girl groups in the past few years are NewJeans, and with this EP, Get Up, I finally understood why. Working with their usual collaborators as well as bringing in new and surprising people to the table like Erika de Casier, CHINAH’s Fine or Smerz, they all have created songs that lift from the best underground club music while also prioritizing their pop sensibilities and sweet-sounding, catchy hooks. And I am also glad that they’re singing songs that, while mature and that anyone can relate to, still feel appropiate to their age for once!

LISTEN

1*ek1Rx8yBZ00y1fC2dHqMXA.png                                                                                                                                                                            

#3.

ruadois

Proibido Estacionar vol. 2

Genre: uk garage/brazilian grime/d'n'b || Label: Contém barras || From: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

The energy that Belo Horizonte crew ruadois transmit is absolutely insane. The group composed by MC’s Mirral ONE and Well, producer georgeluqas and DJ Akila do deliver on their second Proibido Estacionar live set EP. The presence of UK dance music, in the form of e.g. drum and bass/UK garage is definitely felt throughout their music, yet it still feels like something that could’ve come out of Brazil, not just because of its growing grime scene, but also in the MC’s performance reminiscent of the best Brazilian rap or the slight touches of baile funk, it’s truly a blast.

LISTEN

1*lsBt69LjwWtZ6anMCOIvug.png

1*_LF9RwX0y3W49l8EqJ2ajg.png

#2.

Hemlocke Springs

Going... going... GONE!

Genre: synthpop/bedroom pop || Label: Good Luck Have Fun || From: Concord, USA

Hemlocke Springs took over TikTok and the Internet as a whole with her song “Girlfriend” on the tail-end of 2022, a very memorable song with an impossibly eccentric bridge that turned it instantly viral. A year later, her debut EP, Going…Going…GONE! proves that she is no one-hit wonder nor was her song a fluke. All seven tracks on it are absurdly catchy, yet have a very distinctive-sounding production, with nods to both Tumblr-era alt-pop divas as well as the weirdest of 80’s synthpop/new-wave. I just know I would’ve loved this even more at 14, I can tell you that!

LISTEN

#1.

cutspace & Xang

The Angels Floss Their Teeth with My Bones

Genre: experimental hip hop/plugg/microsound || Label: self-released || From: Tartus, Syria/Maryland, United States

The Angels Floss Their Teeth with My Bones sounds like an exercise on how further can plugg be pushed while still being (somewhat) recognizable as such. The beats of Syrian producer cutspace — who had previously worked with people like Nettspend, Marlon DuBois or Moh Baretta — follow the pattern and style of plugg, yet feel so detailed, unpredictable and spacious, it feels like it owes as much to Ryoji Ikeda as much as someone like Smokingskul or Glokk40Spaz. And while this is certainly good on its own, this is further elevated by Xang’s insane ability to ride these unconventional microbeats, both packing a ton of heat in only about 8 minutes. Overall, it’s one of this year’s most unique releases, not only in rap, but in music in general, and I certainly look forward to whatever they’re cooking next.

LISTEN

Time-Lapse, Infinity Club and Get Up are just THAT good :jonny:

Addison Rae in the multiple Best Of list in 2023 iktr :clap3: Finally releasing a leaked music 2 years later as an EP still did wonders for her i fear

• ATRL Moderator

not a fan of anything in particular, but AR is quite cunty, I'll give her that

AR :WAP:

yukika :clap3: 

newjeans :clap3:

hemlocke :clap3: 

i didn't know jlin released :jonny3:

14 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Time-Lapse, Infinity Club and Get Up are just THAT good :jonny:

Addison Rae in the multiple Best Of list in 2023 iktr :clap3: Finally releasing a leaked music 2 years later as an EP still did wonders for her i fear

Tea... like the demand was there I just hope she keeps on releasing (good) stuff!

3 hours ago, Legend E said:

not a fan of anything in particular, but AR is quite cunty, I'll give her that

nnnn :rip: well yes it is!

48 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

yukika :clap3: 

newjeans :clap3:

hemlocke :clap3: 

i didn't know jlin released :jonny3:

Yes!!! And in fact she allegedly has a full length album set for release next year :jonny5:

• Like 1

Just now, TRF. said:

Tea... like the demand was there I just hope she keeps on releasing (good) stuff!

nnnn :rip: well yes it is!

Yes!!! And in fact she allegedly has a full length album set for release next year :jonny5:

OMG :jonny4:

I will be starting my top 50 album list tomorrow (and my top 100 singles list as well? we'll see) so before we properly begin, here are some HONORABLE MENTIONS

All of these albums are really good and I would honestly recommend them regardless, they just couldn't make the final cut for one reason or another :cries:

Here they are, in alphabetical order:

Abadir - Ison (ambient/post-club)
Aho Ssan - Rhizomes (epic collage/electroacoustic)
Alex Anwandter - El diablo en el cuerpo (synthpop/dance-pop)
ANOHNI - My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross (soul)
billy woods / Kenny Segal - Maps (abstract hip hop)

Diego Raposo - Yo no era así pero de ahora en adelante, sí (art pop/indietronica)
Diles que no me maten - Obrigaggi (post-rock)
DJ K - Panico no submundo (beat bruxaria)
Earl Sweatshirt / The Alchemist - Voir Dire (abstract hip hop)
Eartheater - Powders (art pop/electronic)

Everything But the Girl - Fuse (alt r&b/downtempo)
Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! (dance-pop/disco)
Jessy Lanza - Love Hallucination (synthpop/alt r&b)
Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings (psych folk)
Kesha - Gag Order (alt-pop)

KMRU - Dissolution Grip (ambient/drone)
Lankum - False Lankum (irish avant-folk)
Lostrushi - Sisterhood (digicore/cloud rap)
L'Rain - I Killed Your Dog (neo-psych)
Lucy Liyou - Dog Dreams (ambient/electroacoustic)

Mon Laferte - Autopoiética (art pop/latin alternative)
Nídia - 25 Mindjeres (batida)
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory (atmospheric black metal)
Ruth Anderson / Annea Lockwood - Tête-à-tête (sound collage/musique concréte)
Sword II - Spirit World Tour (neo-psych/indie rock)

SZA - SOS (r&b/pop)
Veeze - Ganger (detroit trap)
Victoria Monét - Jaguar II (r&b)
Witch - Zango (zamrock)
WRRN - ¿Cómo se siente estar mejor? (screamo/shoegaze)

• ATRL Moderator

The random M.I.A. strays :rip: 

So many albums I've never heard of on this list though, definitely will need to explore some of them!

Gag Order was good but I can see why it got snubbed, SOS on the other hand :shakeno:

love to see Get Up so high on everyone's lists :clap3: Addison slayed too and Hemlocke's ep was cute

Idk why but I always found Addison Rae's music a bit cringe :rip: 

That Feels Good, Fuse, SOS, Jaguar II missing your list :'( 

• ATRL Moderator

EBTG, Jessie and Victoria being only HMs is...a choice

2WW89F2.png

BM03hvL.png

a2540400939_16.jpg

LISTEN

#50.

Tirzah

Trip9love???

Genre: Alternative R&B, Trap

Art Pop, Witch House, Hypnagogic Pop, Experimental

Label: Domino || Release Date: 5/9 || From: Braintree, UK

You're not gonna get it the first time. Tirzah's third album trip9love???, whom she worked on with frequent-collaborator Mica Levi, can be a jarring first-listen experience, going further down the inaccessible in a record that might also be her most straight-forward yet. Its main components seem to be voice, piano, synthesizers, guitars and a beat. One beat, in fact, repeating constantly. In some kind of way, it's a really brilliant way to explore how with interesting production and songwriting choices, these minimal elements can be elevated, getting drilled into your brain. That, or they're hacks, which in that case... wdrgaf!

RIYL: Dean Blunt/Babyfather, Arthur Russell, Purity Ring, Three 6 Mafia
Highlights: "F22", "their Love", "No Limit", "today", "Stars", "2 D I C U V", "6 Phrases", "nightmare"

a2ee2572311c26d04c71dc936828c9f2.500x500

LISTEN (Breeze) / LISTEN (Forrest Gump)

#49.

Vayda

Breeze/Forrest Gump

Genre: Trap, Cloud Rap

Jersey Drill, Plugg, Electronic Dance Music, Experimental Hip Hop, Chipmunk Soul

Label: self-released || Release Date: 13/3+8/12 || From: Atlanta, USA

Atlanta rapper-singer-producer Vayda is very prolific. Breeze (released in March) and Forrest Gump (released in December) are only two of four releases she put out this year, but these two albums combined run for slightly more than 30 minutes overall. Vayda's songs are like short bursts of energy, fast, memorable, filled with humor and clever one-liners, and production-wise taking a lot of inspiration from electronic dance music (most noticeably Jersey Club but there's also a d'n'b track on Forrest Gump) as well as "Soundcloud rap" subgenres, Vayda sounds unstoppable, and it'll certainly be exciting to see where she goes next.

RIYL: Bbymutha, Hook, Ice Spice, Pink Siifu
Highlights: "Prima Donna", "Ten", "Stripper Hoes", "Naughty", "Ulovemequestionmarkwinkyface" (Breeze) "Rash", "Bait", "Oprah", "Tweaker", "Vogue", "Hood Zendaya", "Adele", "Sonics" (Forrest Gump)

a1664673679_16.jpg

LISTEN

#48.

The Canyon Observer

Figura

Genre: Avant-Garde Metal

European Free Jazz, Free Improvisation, Drone Metal, Post-Rock, Atmospheric Sludge Metal

Label: Vox Project || Release Date: 9/1 || From: Ljubljana, Slovenia

The third album by Slovenian metal band The Canyon Observer is one of the wildest rides the genre's had to offer all year. Released right in the beginning of January, Figura pushes their sludg-y sound forward into pure chaos, merging it with noise, drone, free jazz, post-rock, grindcore and probably even more genres, as if it was one of the best John Zorn albums he's never made. No track sounds like the other, and in just a little over 40 minutes, Figura has so many left-turns that'll make you stay on the edge of your seat for all of it.

RIYL: John Zorn's different projects, Imperial Triumphant, Neptunian Maximalism, Peter Brotzmann
Highlights: "Dih", "Koža", "Slepič", "Križ"

a2771200531_16.jpg

LISTEN

#47.

Mitski

The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We

Genre: Indie Folk

Chamber Pop, Alt-Country, Slowcore

Label: Dead Oceans || Release Date: 15/9 || From: Mie, Japan/Nashville, USA

Mitski's 2022 album Laurel Hell saw her moving into a mainstream-sounding direction, with lots of synthesizers and anthemic pop hooks. The large reception to it was... fine. So her returning with a new album within a year was unexpected, but The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We is one of her finest works. With reflections on both her personal life as well as the world we live in at large, it's not necessarily a back-to-basics record but moreso an intimate, darker, stripped-down version of what she's known for best, distinguishing herself from her contemporaries, she's on her own league.

RIYL: Sufjan Stevens, Tracy Chapman, Lisa Germano, Laura Nyro
Highlights: "Bug Like an Angel", "Buffalo Replaced", "The Deal", "My Love Mine All Mine", "Star", "I'm Your Man", "I Love Me After You"

a1020677481_16.jpg

LISTEN

#46.

Nondi_

Flood City Trax

Genre: Footwork, IDM

Ambient, Juke, Outsider House

Label: Planet Mu || Release Date: 7/4 || From: Pittsburg, USA

Nondi_'s first album for Planet Mu, Flood City Trax, has an undeniable influence of footwork, detroit techno and juke. And while describing as a dance music album wouldn't be wrong (far beyond "intelligent dance music") it sounds distant, hazy and nostalgic, like someone dreaming of going to a club as a way to escape reality. The record was informed by the history and her experiences of living in her hometown Johnstown in Pensylvannia, a town affected by one of the worst floods in U.S. history, and those complex emotions in some way are made visible through the work's melancholic tone.

RIYL: DJ Rashad, Machinedrum, Huerco S., Leila
Highlights: "FCD (Floaty Cloud Dream)", "Sun Juke", "Euphonic Daydream", "01-25-2022". "Dusty", "Nostalgic Vision", "Long Ago", "Sentimental Juke"

a2695696753_16.jpg

LISTEN

#45.

Heejin Jang

Me and the Glassbirds

Genre: Industrial, Noise

Sound Collage, Musique concréte, Glitch, Dark Ambient, Death Industrial

Label: Doom Trip || Release Date: 3/3 || From: Seoul, South Korea

Seoul artist Heejin Jang's music can easily and perhaps accurately be described as noise, but it is more than just feedback and edginess. Her Doom Trip debut, Me and the Glassbirds, she uses collages, samples found online and distorted field recordings —birds indeed appear to be a reoccurring theme — to paint herself as a sort of mad scientist who builds and destroys each of her creations constantly. While it might not be the easiest album to digest, it is complex in a way that feels very intriguing, in which every sound that comes next can feel like a total surprise.

RIYL: SPK, Kazumoto Endo, Pan Daijing, the Isolationism compilation on Virgin Records
Highlights: "In the Egg", "Wings Customization", "Machine Birds Fly", "Prototypes", "Our Brief Eternity", "Taste of Metal", "A Personal Matter"

a2058555088_16.jpg

LISTEN

#44.

Purelink

Signs

Genre: Ambient, Ambient Dub

Downtempo, Illbient

Label: Peak Oil || Release Date: 15/9 || From: Chicago, USA

Pick any track from Chicago trio Purelink's second full length album Signs and tell me it would not look out of place in a chillout compilation CD from the 90s. This is not a diss at all mind you: their music feels like the absolute best from that era in ambient-adjacent music but recontextualized into modern-day electronica. It sounds like something that you can sink yourself into and feel a little relaxed, while still keeping you in your toes just enough thanks to the persistent percussion and sampling. If anything, allow me to say: Purelink are today's best boy band.

RIYL: The Orb, Global Communication, Gas, Huerco S.
Highlights: "In Circuits", "4k Murmurs", "Pinned", "We Should Keep Going"

ab67616d0000b2731bcae5255253ba8cd44e1f06

LISTEN

#43.

Nenagenix

Lo más cercano a caer

Genre: Alternative Rock, Shoegaze

Dream Pop, Post-Hardcore, Midwest Emo

Label: Bohemian Groove || Release Date: 26/5 || From: Buenos Aires, Argentina

While rock music never left Buenos Aires, Nenagenix have become in some sort of way figureheads of a nascent, young "underground" rock scene. Far from their beginnings as a more punk/riot-grrrl inspired sound, their debut seems to make more of an inspiration from acts like Deftones especially post-White Pony, 90s heavily-distorted shoegaze and Midwest emo. And even though it isn't necessarily experimental within the parameters of shoegaze-adjacent music, they complement that by composing relatable lyrics alongside really catchy guitar riffs and vocal melodies resulting on tracks that feel very impactful even when this album is less than half-an-hour long.

RIYL: Deftones, Ride, Lush, Giradioses
Highlights: "Pulso", "Igual", "Sueño por debajo", "Nadar sola", "Asfixia", "Antes de que olvide"

a4125391181_16.jpg

LISTEN

#42.

Desire Marea

On the Romance of Being

Genre: Art Rock, Spiritual Jazz

Jazz-Rock, Experimental Rock, Afro Jazz

Label: Mute || Release Date: 7/4 || From: Durban, South Africa

Desire Marea is impossible to pin down. The South African artist started with duo FAKA working on the weirdest corners of gqom, but their debut solo album Desire was a true breakthrough, one of the best avant-pop records of 2020. On its follow-up, On the Romance of Being, they switch from electronic production into mostly live instrumentation, accompanied by a full band. While the difference between the newer spiritual-jazz and rock influences are notably different from its predecessor, they both do a great work on helping Desire Marea's attention-commanding performance shine as an ode to queer love and, well, desire.

RIYL: Sons of Kemet, King Crimson at their jazziest, Batsumi, Sun Ra Arkestra
Highlights: "Ezulwini", "Be Free", "Mfula", "Rah" (feat. Zoe Modiga), "Banzi"

a2401886682_16.jpg

LISTEN

#41.

Titanic

Vidrio

Genre: Post-Minimalism, Post-Rock

Chamber Jazz, Chamber Music, Art Pop, Modern Creative, Third Stream, Totalism

Label: Unheard of Hope || Release Date: 20/10 || From: Mexico City, Mexico

Since 2019 with her debut album, Guatemalan cellist and vocalist Mabe Fratti has been making truly gorgeous-yet-intense electronic-experimental music, which focuses on her brilliant songwriting as well as digital textures. On her latest project Titanic, made with drummer I.La Católica, things sound a little more... raw. Not raw as in simple, but moreso as it sounding like a full-band making a "rock" record of sorts. Except it being a Mabe Fratti project it isn't as straightforward, as the album Vidrio pulls from jazz, experimental classical music and pop just as much as anything else, and it's another win for her.

RIYL: Talk Talk's later era, Julia Holter, Colin Stetson, Jenny Hval
Highlights: "Anónima", "Cielo falso", "Te evite", "Palacio", "Balanza"

The Land is amazing, I still think the highlights from Lauren Hell were better, but overall new album is one of her strongest ever

• ATRL Moderator

I listened to Mitski and Tirzah out of these 10 and I wasn't particularly big on either :katie: 

2WW89F2.png

g6HJLKm.png

#100. Tate McRae - "Greedy"

#99. Bad Bunny - "Where She Goes"

#98. Genesis Owusu - "Survivor"

#97. Wednesday - "TV in the Gas Pump"

#96. Alvaro Díaz & Tainy - "Fatal Fantasy"

#95. Klein - "DJ Drop"

#94. FLO feat. Missy Elliott - "Fly Girl"

#93. Madison Beer - "Home to Another One"

#92. Rusowsky - "Loto"

#91. Lexie Liu - "delulu"
#90. Troye Sivan - "Rush"

#89. James Blake - "Loading"

#88. María Becerra - "Adiós"

#87. Tim Hecker - "Lotus Light"

#86. Fat Dog - "King of the Slugs"

#85. McKinley DIxon - "Beloved! Paradise! Jazz?!"

#84. WRRN - "Balvanera"

#83. felicita feat. Caroline Polachek - "Spalarkle"

#82. Avalon Emerson - "Sandrail Silhouette"

#81. George Clanton - "I Been Young"

Very simple update but hope everyone has a great Xmas in case you celebrate it! :) :heart2: 

SOS, Jaguar II and TFG missing the list noooo 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.