Album Leak Best of 2023 | SOTY Revealed! pg.3

Album Leak

• ATRL Moderator

well what can I say, Rush is an overrated mess imo. PinkPantheress' album kinda is too

BUT

Fly To You :weeps: what an underrated masterpiece, so happy to hear a new contribution from Dido!

Tension is cute!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Album Leak

• Spartak92

• Mr. Blue_Shirt

• Legend E

16 hours ago, Spartak92 said:

50. Hell no

49. Mmm nope

48. So so...

47. I like that dnb base

46. So so...

45. I hate Rosalia.

44. Nope

43. Mmmm nope

42. Nope

41. No.

Let's see what's next :smile:

Not HATE Rosalia :deadbanana2: sounds personal!

10 hours ago, JGibson said:

Tension  :heart:

It deserves all the praise and love it gets!

10 hours ago, Legend E said:

well what can I say, Rush is an overrated mess imo. PinkPantheress' album kinda is too

BUT

Fly To You :weeps: what an underrated masterpiece, so happy to hear a new contribution from Dido!

Tension is cute!

Rush definitely feels kind of overhyped compared to it's actual chart run all things considered. But definitely agree with PinkPantheress' album, it was not good.

YES, another Dido & Fly To You fan! I'm honestly really surprised people are picking other songs from the album over that..

- -

Anyway, next update coming soon!

La Muerte, LLYLM and Tension are such bops :jonny: Love and Other Drugs is kinda the weakest song on the album at first but now it's really growing on me a lot

LEFT RIGHT is the only song i like from XG welp- :deadbanana4:

I've noticed the trend towards DNB as well!! Plenty of awesome pop, r&b and even metal songs adopting DNB over the last year. I'm into it.

Best Of: Songs 40-31

88RVqhG.png

40. Lastlings - Holding Me Like Water (Mona Yim Remix)

''  I enjoy the original version just fine, but I prefer this remix to it. It's just much smoother and chill, which is the vibe I think I prefer for this specific track. Hated their newest album though, they really need a better songwriter in their group, because damn the lyrics were cheesy! ''
youtube

4KLNoNc.png

39. Vera Wall - PULSSI

'' I really enjoy these kinds of unique quirky bops. That beat in the chorus is so dope. I also enjoy the lyrics. ''
youtube

U6fUpJQ.png

38. Laura Moisio - Päätös

''  If I want some really beautiful indie folk with great melodies and great lyrics, Finland is the place to find it. This is so damn beautiful, and I'm relieved because Laura's last album had zero tracks I enjoyed, despite having several in her albums before it! Her newest album though was an AMAZING improvement from her last dud, thankfully.''
youtube

tZNaE9U.png

37. Mili - Between Two Worlds (Realm Of Darkness)

'' Limbus Company is done and dusted (as it should be), and this is it's only (good) remaining legacy that it has left. I could highlight the full version of the song, but I definitely enjoy this specific part of the song the most. ''
youtube

oVkbxlw.png

36. Karen Harding - Wild Wild Water

''  I expected to like her album more, but I didn't (story of my ****' life). This being one of the only tracks that stood out, and well, it's really amazing. And of course it's this same liquid dnb beat that we've heard several times in this list already lmao. And it's honestly weird because I really don't like DnB that much, but I guess I'm coming around it. ''
youtube

9NoZAgR.png

35. Amaarae - Angels in Tibet

''  Fountain Baby is one of the best albums released this year. Angels in Tibet is but one of many highlights on the album, but I chose this to represent in my Best Of because I think it really encapsulates the sound and vibe of the album well. And, well, of course, it's a really massive bop. ''
youtube

kSnUGTi.png

34. Oh Land - Bleeed

''  I'm chasing after highs cuz the lows are way too real. Those lines by themselves devour entire discographies of some artists. Honestly, I wasn't vibing with Loop Soup at first. It felt like a downgrade from Family Tree which is my favorite Oh Land album to date. But in the end, after sitting down and really concentrating on Loop Soup, I think it might just be my second favorite album of hers and one of the best albums overall this year! Her sound is very unique to her, and it's always a little (or very) quirky from the production to the lyrics, and Loop Soup is no different. Bleeed really is the amalgamation of all those wonderful Oh Land qualities, and the product is a kickass song that has a great message. ''
youtube

JYrv0dD.png

33. Olivia Ruiz - La Réplique

'' The instrumental has NO REASON to be as good and twisted as it is. Like what the ****? The wtf experience is only amplified by this being so different from the rest of her discography. Okay Olivia, I'm really into this, can't wait for you to continue on this route. I also LOVE her vocals and her delivery, especially on the chorus. ''
youtube

Z7qqpQE.png

32. Catie Turner - Hyperfixations

''  This is just one of those energetic insanely catchy pure pop bops that I can't seem to get enough of. I think I might be addicted, oh no! ''
youtube

MHHPoss.png

31. Molly Burch - Physical

''  It's a ******* miracle, that I'm still alive. OKAY? That's definitely a way to start a chorus. Lyrics are definitely very strong in this song, as are the 80s vibes. I didn't expect this type of 80s slow dance vibes to also carry such strong messages about mental health struggles. And I love subverted expectations, so I'm 100% into it! ''
youtube

Angels in Tibet is such a good opener, really sets the tone for the whole album :jonny5:

love both Shooting Star and Left Right so I don't mind the inclusion!

spilled about Kylie, the album is decent but the title track was a MOMENT

• ATRL Moderator

Yeah, Fly To You is indeed very underrated, but oh well.

Nothing I love in particular this update :/ not into Amaarae unfortunately. I didn't know Oh Land released this year

10 hours ago, Album Leak said:

Not HATE Rosalia :deadbanana2: sounds personal!

I really don't like her music (reggaeton is a big NO for me) and I can't stand her attitude (that's why I can't stand most of the pop girls around actually).

40. Hmm not bad

39. so so...

38. Nope

37. For a second I thought that it was an one hour song lol sounds really good tho, kinda reminds me SNK OST

36. So so, the beat is catchy

35. The voice ruined it for me

34. Nope

33. No...

32. Not bad

31. No...

Nice set overall :smile:

Hmm I don’t know any songs this update let me wait for next one :bird:

14 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

La Muerte, LLYLM and Tension are such bops :jonny: Love and Other Drugs is kinda the weakest song on the album at first but now it's really growing on me a lot

LEFT RIGHT is the only song i like from XG welp- :deadbanana4:

Not Love and Other Drugs being THE weakest :wave: But I'm glad you are slowly coming around to it!

And LEFT RIGHT remains the only good song by them still. Some of their newer releases have been completely whack!

13 hours ago, perpetual novice said:

I've noticed the trend towards DNB as well!! Plenty of awesome pop, r&b and even metal songs adopting DNB over the last year. I'm into it.

I'm noticing that more and more as I post my list. So many songs have DnB influences. And the thing is I'm definitely not a fan of DnB, but I think the way it's applied to most songs I've posted yet has been very pleasing. So we'll see how far this trend will go, is it passing or will it remain further.

6 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

Angels in Tibet is such a good opener, really sets the tone for the whole album :jonny5:

love both Shooting Star and Left Right so I don't mind the inclusion!

spilled about Kylie, the album is decent but the title track was a MOMENT

It really is isn't it? I'm glad it's kinda having it's moment currently. 

Yeah Tension (the song) is AMAZING but Tension (the album) was nothing spectacular. But that's fine, you give me a few bops and I'll be set for a few years until I want new content!

6 hours ago, Legend E said:

Yeah, Fly To You is indeed very underrated, but oh well.

Nothing I love in particular this update :/ not into Amaarae unfortunately. I didn't know Oh Land released this year

Oh you should definitely check out Oh Land's Loop Soup IF you liked her early career albums. It's very Oh Land-Wish Bone-Earth Sick coded!

3 hours ago, Spartak92 said:

I really don't like her music (reggaeton is a big NO for me) and I can't stand her attitude (that's why I can't stand most of the pop girls around actually).

40. Hmm not bad

39. so so...

38. Nope

37. For a second I thought that it was an one hour song lol sounds really good tho, kinda reminds me SNK OST

36. So so, the beat is catchy

35. The voice ruined it for me

34. Nope

33. No...

32. Not bad

31. No...

Nice set overall :smile:

It was just funny is all. We all have artists who we hate for whatever reason!

I was trying to find a short video but couldn't find one, and just thought to myself that Spartak will just have to deal with that lolol. 

30 songs to go, let's see if there is at least one more song you might really enjoy!

3 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Hmm I don’t know any songs this update let me wait for next one :bird:

Sadly I think all the more recognizable mainstream choices have been posted already  :gaycat6:

- - -

Next update coming, I want this done by Monday!!!

Edited by Album Leak

Best Of: Songs 30-21

Xc19jt7.png

30. 水曜日のカンパネラ- マーメイド

'' This is the ultimate serotonin boost song of the year. Also the summer bop of the year, move over Padam Padam and Rush! There's something indescribably nostalgic about it as well.''
youtube

B21tle2.png

29. Elle Darlington - wish you would

'' Early 2000s bubblegum pop sound lives rent free in my head, so obviously I would LOVE this. But Elle girl, we didn't need that rough whistle note in the bridge. You could've left that at home. Either way for all the early 2000s nostalgia that is going on in fashion and music, I hope we get more songs like this in the future, bubblegum pop haters be damned! ''
youtube

RnF9N0f.png

28. LOVA - Nitty Gritty
''  I know the song is a very basic cheesy ballad, but when that last chorus erupts I get emotional. The words Nitty Gritty have never sounded so beautiful and powerful before! ''
youtube

N2GS1Cf.png

27. BESS - Riivattu

''  Oh this'll be a Halloween CLASSIQUE. BESS has yet to disappoint with her releases, she keeps delivering bop after bop after bop. Her newest album was really good, and after that she has released two new songs (not on the album) that have both been tremendous bops as well. She just keeps winning and I CAN STAND IT! ''
youtube

aWCivEB.png

26. London Grammar & CamelPhat - Higher

'' London Grammar remixes are always so iconic. CamelPhat really elevated the original song even HIGHER hahaha. This song is true art to me. I would also suck the d out of that man with the braids in the music video. He is one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen. ''
youtube

wR7hOGP.png

25. JEON SOMI - Fast Forward

'' Rain On Me's extremely iconic daughter. You hate fun if you don't like this song. JOKING. kinda ''
youtube

Tq8ULwy.png

24. Nuppu Oinas - Ruusuja

''  Oh look, more great dnb-influenced pop tunes. Are you tired yet? Cuz I'm not! But a lot of the magic here for me is the lyrics, there's some really good wordplay and the message of the song is something very true and real in the modern world. ''
youtube

N5r6QvH.png

23. Ado - 唱

''  THIS IS HOW YOU DO NOISE! K-pop idols need to take some tips from miss Ado. She has the dramatic and theatrical VOCALS that don't get overwhelmed by the crazy noisy instrumental. There's a reason this has been THE #1 song in Japan for a pretty long time. I'm so glad Ado turned out to be so much more than just a one hit wonder. Excited for her future! ''
youtube

oEpSGe2.png

22. CHÉRI - Karma feat. Chilla

''  The instrumental, the chorus, the second verse ended CAREERS. Well, that's just almost whole song almost, isn't it? ''
youtube

cKzPCXB.png

21. Rinni Wulandari - switch

'' There's something about the song sounding kind of empty that really drives me crazy in the best possible way. Rinni came and conquered with this song, yes she did! ''
youtube

Edited by Album Leak

Amaarae and Wednesday Campanella :jonny:I still feel... odd emotions about them switching vocalists, but the songs have been good so far! :michael:

Angels in Tibet is just so goddamn good :jonny: I'm glad it slowly becoming viral on TikTok. She Amaarae deserves at least one hit from her new album!

30. Japanese reggae? lol. nah...
29. No... bubblegum pop is a big no for me.

28. Mmm nope

27. Nope

26. Really different of what I've heard of her before, not bad tho.

25. Catchy!
24. No link of this one :noparty:so so...
23. So so...
22. Not bad.

21. Nope

Really interesting set, maybe I'll use some of these songs on my 2024 best of :eli:

• ATRL Moderator

Oh you should definitely check out Oh Land's Loop Soup IF you liked her early career albums. It's very Oh Land-Wish Bone-Earth Sick coded!

lmaoo I only know her first two albums, I didn't even know she released so many albums ever since dvf;

I don't know anything about this update unfortunately. Waiting for the next one :duca: 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, TRF. said:

Amaarae and Wednesday Campanella :jonny:I still feel... odd emotions about them switching vocalists, but the songs have been good so far! :michael:

I was never into Wednesday Campanella before the vocalist change, so this was never an issue for me personally. I've liked almost all stuff they release after the switch though so it's pretty great from my point of view at least haha.

On 12/17/2023 at 3:19 PM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Angels in Tibet is just so goddamn good :jonny: I'm glad it slowly becoming viral on TikTok. She Amaarae deserves at least one hit from her new album!

She definitely deserves the attention, Fountain Baby is one of the best albums this year!

14 hours ago, Spartak92 said:

30. Japanese reggae? lol. nah...
29. No... bubblegum pop is a big no for me.

28. Mmm nope

27. Nope

26. Really different of what I've heard of her before, not bad tho.

25. Catchy!
24. No link of this one :noparty:so so...
23. So so...
22. Not bad.

21. Nope

Really interesting set, maybe I'll use some of these songs on my 2024 best of :eli:

Oops, I totally forgot to link it! Well, it's fixed now, not that it matters lol.

Well I certainly hope going through all these songs won't be all for naught for you :bibliahh:

14 hours ago, Legend E said:

lmaoo I only know her first two albums, I didn't even know she released so many albums ever since dvf;

I don't know anything about this update unfortunately. Waiting for the next one :duca: 

Oh I recommend anyone who is even slightly familiar with her earlier work to get into the latter part of her discography, which imo is much better than the first half! 

- - -

Next update incoming. Guess I'll be posting SOTY tomorrow.

Best Of: Songs 20-11

NeNBrXf.png

20. Mall Boyz (Tohji & gummyboy) - Do u rememeber me

''  I love the beat and the chorus SO MUCH that I'm willing to overlook that it's kind of a mess overall lmao. But I don't care, this goes hard, the vibes are immaculate. ''

youtube

uI3dSmS.png

19. Riutta & Kasii - Kuutamolla (Se Ei Mee Pois)

''  Oh look, an ACTUAL DnB song, that's not just a cute liquid dnb beat on a pop song. It's a remix of a pretty popular Finnish song, but damn if it doesn't sound awesome. The DnB beat works on it more than I expected! Whether I prefer it to the original, I think yeah I do. At least for now. ''

youtube

CSGJHKp.png

18. Ari Abdul - BURY YOU

''  This sound like something that would be popular on TikTok. And you know what, she slayed it, she made all the points. Kind of obsessed with the music video as well. ''

youtube

Z55U3HH.png

17. Vesala - Painajaisii

''  I mean, if you can make chipmunk vocals actually elevate a song, you deserve all the awards and acclaim. Vesala has yet to disappoint with her albums/EPs because she always comes up with some insane instrumentals that nobody else is doing. Bless her. ''

youtube

RlUkmG7.png

16. Runo - Entä Jos

'' The almost spoken verses, and the fully sung chorus is always such a nice juxtaposition that I love in songs, and it's so good here as well. I LOVE when she sings VOIDAANKO ME TÄÄ VIEL PERUTTAA? in the chorus, it's definitely the cherry on top for the chorus and the entire song. ''

youtube

u9vzRIx.png

15. Elsa Brotherus - Kokonaan

'' The unique beat, the songwriting, the lyrics, the rhyming, the cute vocals... perfection. ''

youtube

r0BHEYQ.png

14. Anna Sofia - I CAN'T FLY

''  This is such scenecore party music I can't!!!  Less emo rock bs, more of this please! The beat change in the second chorus, the guitar solo... I'm OBSESSED. I need a full album immediately! ''

youtube

DY12dMv.png

13. Vilma Jää - Kaisan Kosto

'' How do I begin to explain it? The lyrics and the way they are sung/spoken are done in a Finnish folk poetry type of way. The song is about a woman named Kaisa, who a man tries to rape, but she manages to take a knife from under her mattress so the rapist flees. But this is not enough for Kaisa, she seeks revenge and does so by becoming a cook, poisoning his food, then suffocating and brutalizing him till he is dead, and then she chops off his body limb from limb, makes mush out of his fingers and spreads his body parts to the wilderness. Like, need I ******* say more? ''

youtube

HJhc8Yk.png

12. Apink - D N D

''  The k-pop SOTY, and it's no competition. How did this not become a huge hit? Oh I know why, k-pop stans have ZERO taste, that's why. This is classy, this is elegant, this is what's missing from k-pop. Thank you Apink for your service! ''

youtube

wn5KExF.png

11. SAKIMA - Love On Repeat

''  I mentioned way back that Rush isn't the gay SOTY. It's actually this one. SAKIMA kind of deserves Troye's success I mean... come on. Listen to the song, the way it obliterates anything Troye has ever done! Not that two gays can't slay at the same time but... SAKIMA, you are forever my gay king. ''

youtube

Edited by Album Leak

20. So so...

19. Catchy dnb/dubstep

18. So so

17. Nope

16. Hmm nice, I really liked it!

15. Vocals are so so IMO, the rest is really cool

14. No...

13. Nope.

12. Not my style

11. A big NO.

Nice set, let's what's on the top 10 :duca:

oop missed out on so much .. I don't know many of these artists but im def going to check these out

• ATRL Moderator

Oh I recommend anyone who is even slightly familiar with her earlier work to get into the latter part of her discography, which imo is much better than the first half

If I find the time, maybe I can try.

---

Don't know anything here, besides Apink I think, but I am not into k-pop unfortunately

3 hours ago, Spartak92 said:

20. So so...

19. Catchy dnb/dubstep

18. So so

17. Nope

16. Hmm nice, I really liked it!

15. Vocals are so so IMO, the rest is really cool

14. No...

13. Nope.

12. Not my style

11. A big NO.

Nice set, let's what's on the top 10 :duca:

Oh nice, you found something decent(ish)! Indeed, let's see if I can catch your interest one more time lmao.

3 hours ago, Alldeezy said:

oop missed out on so much .. I don't know many of these artists but im def going to check these out

That seems to be a pretty common experience regarding my list :ryan3:

2 hours ago, Legend E said:

If I find the time, maybe I can try.

---

Don't know anything here, besides Apink I think, but I am not into k-pop unfortunately

If you like 2010s quirky electropop, Oh Land's your woman. 

Let's see if the last 10 has anything you might recognize!

- - -

Okay people, last update (for this list, I have two-three other standalone lists in mind I want to do just for the fun of it) to my best of songs is coming in a few hours! It's been fun, thank you for following and good luck on your own lists!

• Like 1

Best Of: Songs 10-1

fXW2xMf.png

10. Jess Glynne - What Do You Do

'' Absolutely incredibly pop jam. If Dua Lipa released this, she would've gotten that #1 hit I'm just saying. ''

youtube

yA76HBZ.png

9. June The Girl - Hello Mr Slender Man

'' You wouldn't think such an amazing song could be done about Slenderman, but here we are, June The Girl proved us all wrong! ''

youtube

D3itLnK.png

8. ELIO - A2B

'' Literally constantly on repeat after it released. This is crack to me. ''

youtube

Mo7ak4k.png

7. Romy - One Last Try

'' I don't expect this to be anyone's favorite song from the album, but it is mine. The pitch-edited vocals, the drumming leading up to the beat drop, the vocal layering/editing in the SO LET'S NOT OVERCOMPLICATE IT parts, the chorus... absolutely fantastic. Something about this, like most of the album, just transports me to happier times. The nostalgia oozing from the song is very much welcomed, it even makes me slightly emotional. ''

youtube

GlGP8aE.png

6. Ruusut - Oppsei

'' Ruusut either makes horrible audio pollution, or masterpieces. This one is a masterpiece (to me). I've been obsessed with Ruusut for most of this year, after they released two new albums, so there were several songs that battled for this position. Oppsei is a more mainstream pop friendly track, but if I wanted to go for mindblowing electronic beat orchestra, I would've picked Lasisilmä. Either way, Oppsei is such a brilliant track, and the outro is one of my favorite outros of all time. ''

youtube

Kism3uL.png

5. Malla - Hidastan aikaa

'' This dreamy electronica/house banger... I'm claiming this as my theme song for 2023. Malla has become one of my favorite Finnish artists of all time in such a short period of time it's almost magical. She really has produced some of my favorite house music in recent years as well. ''

youtube

Z7VCJrB.png

4. NEEA RIVER - Cyanide

'' Horrible cover, horrible music video, but one of the best pop songs I've heard in several, SEVERAL years. I could complain about the abrupt ending and this needing an extended version, but holy hell is this bop MASSIVE. I hope she gets the popularity and fame she deserves so we can get a full album. All four of her singles this year have been immaculate, and that's hard to do. Excited for her future, hopefully she doesn't end up as a mere single droplet artist. I require a full NEEA RIVER experience through a 15-song album, thank you. ''

youtube

tixTfUt.png

3. Masayoshi Soken - Dedicated to Moonlight

'' This ******* magical girl anime opening mixed with celtic vibes ass song. That crazy fiddle, the melodies, the vocals, and it's a damn song from a video game. Masayoshi Soken, you are a legend. ''

youtube

1yQYdDW.png

2. EastNewSound - 逢魔紅月、奉還ノ絶

'' This song is so good it makes me want to cry and bemoan the state of modern mainstream music. But I love modern mainstream music as well so I'm not going to do that.  I love psytrance so much, this is what I want to hear everywhere all the time. That bridge is absolutely TWISTED, it's ART, it's THE MOMENT. This song is so good it's not even released in 2023 but on the last day of 2022, and it's the sole reason the rules of my list has a special rule just so I can include it in this 2023 list. This is what that rule was building up to, that's how spectacular this song is. ''

youtube

XWV6bw9.png

1. SKYLAR x AC13 feat. piri - Crocodile Tears

''  While I could've given the SOTY to the previous entry, I think this is the culmination of that (liquid) DnB beat that has appeared on this list on so many occasions, so I specifically wanted to shout out this track instead. Because this song is the mother and the father of all those songs. This is the perfection of that sound. This is what all those other songs want to be, and I doubt anybody can pull it off better than this. Obviously, that's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it proudly. This song encompasses everything I need in a great song (at least in 2023): energy, bit of nostalgic vibes, fun vocal delivery, a good buildup and overall positive and fun vibes. I'm so glad to have heard this, and it's going to be on my playlists for years to come.  ''

My Best Of 2023 playlist also available on Spotify (excluding #3 because it is unavailable on streaming sadly).
Playlist also linked to page 1.

Edited by Album Leak

10. Nope

09. lol at this one, it's catchy tho

08. Nope

07. Hmmm not bad

06. Also not bad

05. This one is interesting too

04. Nope

03. Nice one

02. So so...

01. So so...

Nice best of overall, it was really interesting and different of what everyone posts here usually
Best song IMO: Entä jos by Runo

Worst song IMO: Rush by Troye Sivan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.