madonnas best of 2023 [AOTY Announced]

madonnas

• ATRL Moderator

F1yCqM9.png

50) Taichu - Rawr [Electropop, Pop Rap, Neoperreo]

-I was recommended this album as a "Spanish Language Charli XCX" and it basically gives just that.  Crash era, not Pop 2 though (so not a problem for me!)

49) Mitski - The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We [Singer-Songwriter, Folk]

-Mitski is back at it with a follow up to Laurel Hell that most fans seem more satisfied with.  It takes genres I usually don't enjoy and makes them good.  Props to her!

48) Rein - God is a Woman [EBM, Synthwave, Electropop]

-It's a more reigned back version of her 2020 album, but if you like the sorta gothy club sound I would recommend, she gets the job done always.

47) Kaytramine - Kaytramine [Hip-Hop, Hip-House]

-Never really got into Amine, so this was my first full project.  It's a good collaboration where every song sounds the same but sounds good.

46) Mandaworld - For Emotional Use Only [Bedroom Pop, Synthpop]

-Nice mix of synth ballads and quirky bedroom pop "bangers."  Very underrated!

45) SHINEE - Hard [Kpop, R&B]

-The title track and the album cover are a bit of a red herring - there's lots of Shinee's signature smooth quirky R&B on this album, not a lot of desperate trend chasing here!

44) Snow Strippers - April Mixtape 3 [Synthwave, Electropop]

-They've been described as 'we have Crystal Castles at home' by basically everyone - well, it's true.  What else can I say, if you want more CC sounds in today's era look no further.

43) Ana Frango Eletrico - Me Chama De Gato Que Eu Sou Sua [Indie Pop, Sophisti-pop]

-It's a sort of 70s early 80s sophisti-pop throwback album with lots of great memorable hooks and it's very funky.

42) Kikuo - Kikuo MIku 7 [Art pop, Vocaloid]

-This producer works with Hatsune Miku and makes really appealing weirdo pop with lots of fun synths and processed vocals.

41) KNOWER - KNOWER Forever [Art Pop, Sophisti-pop, Funk]

-A less electronic followup to their 2016 album, it's like a Louis Cole album at 110% energy.

40) Victoria Monet - Jaguar II [R&B, Soul]

-A follow up that improves upon everything the first album did.

39) Decisive Pink - Ticket to Fame [Art Pop, Minimal Synth]

-Deeradorian and Kate NV team up to make a fun Minimal Synth album, for lovers of 80s flops!

38) Paramore - This Is Why [New Wave, Pop Rock, Alternative Rock]

-Their last album and one of their best, no filler all killer.

37) BABYMETAL - The Other One [Metal, Jpop]

-A return to form with a lot of genre experimentation that originally made them great.

36) Slowdive - Everything Is Alive [Dream Pop]

-Another return to form, 8 great Dream Pop songs from certified legends.

35) Leah Kate - Super Over [Electroclash, Dance Pop]

From the bottom of the barrel of the bottom of the barrel, Leah Kate proves why you can never count a flop pop star out.  She brings us the fun era of disney girls where they had one foot in the pop rock and the other on the dancefloor.  Effortless, even if there's a couple skips that sound like Karmin.

34) Alanam Palomo (Neon Indian) - World of Hassle [Synth-funk, Chillwave]

-He decided he didn't like his old stage name and is going by his birth nae now.  Not much of a change of a sound with the new name, not that I'm complaining as a longtime fan.

33) Simona - Esfera De Amor [Neoppero, Dance-Pop, House]

-REALLY UNDERRATED SPANISH ALBUM, it's very short, to the point, and full of bops.

32) Sufjan Stevens - Javelin [Singer Songwriter]

-This is another classic for him, it's sort of sonically a marriage of Illinoise and Adz, my two other favorites from him.

31) Cowgirl Clue - Radio Star [Hyperpop, Dance Pop, Country]

-The "Country" genre is sort of not really accurate, she takes folky/country sounds and twists them, but it's a refreshing take on a quickly dying scene.

30) Tricot - Fudeki [Math Rock]

Tricot are one of the most reliable rock bands for me, you can always count on a no-frills high quality album from them.

29) Tkay Maidza - Sweet Justice [Hip Hop, Pop Rap, R&B]

-After a string of good-but-not-great EPs she blew me away with her best project since 2014!  Her growth as an artist is really spectacular and she wears her influences on her sleeve.

28) 100 Gecs - 10,000 Gecs [Hyperpop, Pop Rock]

-They prove why the 34324234 imitators will never be them.

27) Shygirl - Nymph_o [Cloud rap, Dance Pop, Pop Rap]

-A lovely remix collection with some new goodies in it, queen of respiratory illnesses and remix albums this year.

26) Nabihah Iqbal - DREAMER

-Another extremely underrated album - HUGE recommendation for those who like the above genres.

• Like 2

Leah Kate + Tkay Maidza :clap3:

Victoria, Mitski and Paramore :clap3:

50) Taichu - Rawr [Electropop, Pop Rap, Neoperreo]

-I was recommended this album as a "Spanish Language Charli XCX" and it basically gives just that.  Crash era, not Pop 2 though (so not a problem for me!) - Okay, I can get into that

47) Kaytramine - Kaytramine - I expected a little more from this projects but I liked certain cuts. Them pairing wasn't a bad move though, they compliment each other.

40) Victoria Monet - Jaguar II :clap3:grew on me tremendously, one of the best r&b projects

32) Sufjan Stevens - Javelin I didn't get a chance to dig in but I usually love Sufjan

29) Tkay Maidza - Sweet Justice - My *****!

28) 100 Gecs - 10,000 Gecs was so hyped for them last year but never actually finished the album lol

27) Shygirl - Nymph_o - another fave

loved the original Nymph but I wasn't a huge fan of the remix album, i'm glad we got Angel out of it tho!

the Paramore singles didn't click with me but I ended up loving the album :heart: 10,000 gecs had some bangers too

Snow Strippers don't have CC's range or highs but they're more consistent so far :jonny2: and Cowgirl is basically the same sound too, love it

Leah Kate exactlyyyyy :clap3: I agree with the write up too, some fillers but the bops balance it out! Taichu was cute as well

• ATRL Moderator
On 12/18/2023 at 2:06 PM, madonnas said:

40) Victoria Monet - Jaguar II [R&B, Soul]

-A follow up that improves upon everything the first album did.

Jaguar I is better to me :mandown:

great update :jonny3:

Jaguar II is amazing :clap3:

Mitski's album was such a surprise, I love LH for its highlights, but The Land is better as a whole record 

The Land is Inhospitable, Kaytramine, Jaguar II, This Is Why, Everything Is Alive and Javelin are one of my favorites this year :jonny:

Honestly, SHINee's album isn't that bad but the title track turn me off so bad :skull:

• ATRL Moderator

54nEjfE.png

25) Aluna - Mycelium [House, EDM]

-i think this album is a bit underappreciated.  It felt like a very tasteful DJ mix with some of the hippest DJs around.

24) Indigo De Souza - All Of This Will End [Indie Rock, Indie pop]

-Her best album yet with extreme huge growth in songwriting ability and variety.

23) Liv.e - Girl In the Half Pearl [Psychedelic R&B, Art Pop]

-I love how all the song feel like snippets kind of strung together, a stream of consciousness slay.

22) Kali Uchis - Red Moon in Venus [Contemporary R&B, Neo Soul]

-Her best album yet, she decided to narrow it down to about 1/2 main sounds and it's a very cohesive enjoyable moment from her.

21) Nuovo Testamento - Love Lines [Italo Disco, Synth Pop]

-80s revivalism it's more tribute than reinvention, which is completely OK with me when your songwriting chops are good, and they are!!

20) Romy - Mid Air [EDM, House, Trance]

-She takes sad girl pop and makes palatable to those of us who who are a bit over the sound.

19) Sofia Kourtesis - Madres [House, Ambient Pop]

MOTHER, literally!  An easy album to get lost into.

18) Yeule - Softscars [Indie Rock, Shoegaze]

-An evolution and complete genre switchup that doesn't even feel like one, it feels like this might have been who Yeule is all along.

17) Ava Max  - Diamonds and Dancefloors [Dance Pop]

-Ava is one of those d-list pop star singers except she sings her songs like they're the most dramatic serious songs in existence, high camp and very tasteful.

16) Alexander Anwadter - El Diablo En El Cuerpo [Synthpop, Indie Pop]

-UGH, so cute.  Would be top 5 if it wasn't super long.  I definitely recommend getting into this album, just maybe in small chunks like last year's Beach House album??

15) Hannah Diamond - Perfect Picture [Dance-Pop, Hyperpop]

-Hannah proves her pop prowess is never going out of style with her best release yet.

14) Club Eat - Start [Electroclash, Dance-Pop]

-Bratty superficial pop that showcases a love for all things frivolous but also showcases hilariously clever songwriting.

13) Debby Friday - Good Luck [Art Pop, Synth Punk, Hip-Hop]

-This album is verrryyy hard to pin down genre wise! Seriously she did everything, my pick for most underrated album of the year (she actually got BNM but then pitchfork ignored her album and ignored her on the YE list? very rude)

12) Jessy Lanza - Love Hallucination [Synth Funk, House]

-She did it again.  Another Jessy album with similar sounds, so I'm here for it.

11) Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You [Ambient Pop, Dance Pop]

-Oh Caroline, this really was her year. She sort of single-fished, because the album tracks were so different, so I think this is an album that really had to grow on me.  I'm glad it did!

10) Emilia - .mp3 [Latin Pop, Electroclash, Dance Pop]

-Wow, just wow.  This is for lovers of ADHD pop and beat switchups for sure.

9) Yves Tumor - Praise a Lord ... [Indie Rock, Post Punk]

-Their best album, just hits from to back, no filler, all killer. 

8) Alison Goldfrapp - The Love Invention [Dance Pop, House]

-If you had asked me what I thought an Alison Goldfrapp solo album would sound like in 2023, I would guess exactly like The Love Invention - and as a longtime fan, I'm 100% happy with that.

7) Slayyyter - STARFUCKER [Dance-Pop, Electropop]

-She did in one attempt what Kim Petras had been attempting to do for about 4 album cycles. 

6) Kelela - Raven [Ambient Pop, R&B]

An instant classic and proving why she is one of the biggest names in music these days.

5) Pinkpantheress - Heaven Knows [Indie Pop, R&B, 2step]

-I never was the biggest fan but this solidified her for me, huge amounts of growth, variety, and still 100% the pinkpantheress appeal sticks with this album.

4) Amaarae - Fountain Baby [Afrobeats, Punk Rock, Dance Pop]

-She's definitely one of those experimental pop artists that will stick around for a long, long, long time.

3) Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! [Disco, Boogie]

-An amazing album and worthy follow up to WYP, if you don't get it, you don't like disco!

2) Yaeji - With a Hammer [Art Pop, Ambient Pop]

-We thought her career was over after a disappointing mixtape in 2020 and then radio silence.  She came back with a bang.  A fully realized album that sounds like nothing I've heard before.

1) Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time [Dance Pop, Synth Pop]

-Yup, she did it again, proving that being a Carly stan is one of the best things you can be these day, you're always being gifted with excellent music.  This is the more varied eclectiv version of TLT so I personally prefer it, especially when you have songs on it that sound so fresh and DARE I SAY, risky!

• Like 1

So much music I've missed out this year. Normally I know around 20% of your installments. Now I only know Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!, which I listened to the week it came out.

Based on the genres I might want to check out Jessy Lanza - Love Hallucination and Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time.

Happy 2024. :biggrin:

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

The loveliest Time is even better than the Loneliest Time :jonnycat: I’m shook

Fountain Baby, That Feels Good, Raven in top 10 :jonny6:

Red Moon in Venus is such a great discovery for me this year :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.