FDA approves cure for sickle cell anemia. Costs $2.2 Million per patient.

airplane

The therapy, called Casgevy, from Vertex Pharmaceuticals and CRISPR Therapeutics, is the first medicine to be approved in the United States that uses the gene-editing tool CRISPR, which won its inventors the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 2020.

Edited by airplane

I’m excited for the future. CRISPR has crazy potential and already is one of the most interesting and innovative things to happen in modern day science. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SweetTalker said:

I’m excited for the future. CRISPR has crazy potential and already is one of the most interesting and innovative things to happen in modern day science. 

truly. i hope it can cure autoimmune diseases someday.

1 minute ago, airplane said:

truly. i hope it can cure autoimmune diseases someday.

That would be a dream. My mom has Multiple Sclerosis and just the thought of maybe there being a cure or a more effective treatment in the next few decades makes me tear up. Maybe she won’t be alive to witness it, but terrible diseases have caused pain to so many people so the thought of future generations having a shot at being cured is amazing. I’ve been following news about CRISPR since 2020 and I definitely believe the possibilities are endless, so to speak. 

• Like 4

Woww...i bet insurance plan must be upgraded its benefit limit

While the cost of healthcare in America is a sad, stupid joke, thankfully this is the beginning, not the end. This kind of treatment may one day be affordable for everyone for a wide variety of diseases, and that’s something to be hopeful about.

Now, on the way to that moment, let’s hope people come around to the idea of abolishing private insurance, meaningfully reducing actual costs, and making healthcare accessible and affordable for everyone.

• Like 3

i work with sickle cell patients and the pain they go through makes me very sympathetic. Large portion of our sickle cell patients are black and they have a high dependency on opioids plus they are frequently hospitalized. even at one of the best hospitals in the world they are treated poorly and stigmatized as drug dependent no matter how hard our doctors and my team advocate for them.  it makes me sick they wont be able to afford this.  

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.