Denmark passes law to ban Quran burnings

Riverbank

Spoiler

Offenders now face a fine or up to two years in jail after a 94-77 vote.

It follows a series of burnings of Islam's holy book that led to uproar in Muslim countries.Denmark and neighbouring Sweden have recently seen a number of street protests over such incidents, raising security concerns in Scandinavia.

During Thursday's heated debates in Denmark's 179-strong parliament, the Folketing, many opposition MPs argued against the bill.

"History will judge us harshly for this, and with good reason... What it all comes down to is whether a restriction on freedom of speech is determined by us, or whether it is dictated from the outside," Inger Stojberg, leader of the Denmark Democrats, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

But the country's centre-right coalition government of Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen argued that criticising religion would remain legal, as the bill would only have a marginal impact.

Back in August, when the government was proposing the changes, ministers said they wanted to send a signal to the world after witnessing over a few weeks 170 demonstrations, including Quran burnings in front of foreign embassies.

At the time, Denmark's PET intelligence service warned that such incidents had increased the terrorist threat.

Sweden has also seen a series of Quran burnings, and its security service has warned of a worsening security situation. In July, the Swedish embassy in Iraq was set alight by protesters.

The government in Stockholm is currently considering a similar bill. Both Denmark and Sweden have abolished blasphemy laws.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

:priceless: Because capitulating to extremists has historically been proven to be the right thing. Let me guess, burning the pride flag would fall under 'freedom of speech' and is ok ofc?

• Like 14

organised religions bring bigotry and dogma to the world. burning their books should be protected under freedom of speech. now islamophobia and discrimination that affects PEOPLE is wrong. but the content of these religious books should be criticised (that applies to The Bible and others too ofc, no just Quran) 

• Like 7

you get harsher sentences there for burning a damn book than you’d get in france for raping a child… ****** up world :doc:

• Like 3

Considering how Quran burning has been used politically in Sweden to keep it out of NATO I don't have a strong stance against the ban.

A terrible example to make though, religious far right will just come up with more demands.

Edited by Illuminati
  • Thumbs Down 7

At the time, Denmark's PET intelligence service warned that such incidents had increased the terrorist threat.

It's really quite feeble and pathetic that they're suppressing freedom of speech to appease potential terrorists.

• Like 1

I hope they have the same punishment for burning the bible then

ma'am, the only book we ain't burning is Britney's

The rest of them? BURN THEM ALL

895254c02663114733b3c94ab28b8407.gif

• Haha 9

personally i think no book should be burned, including religious books.  Burning books is burning the memory of what we were, no idea of the future without a past.

You have to work to let democracy and progress increase without burning anything. A part of bigots using them to hate (they would try other things to hate if you don't change culture) doesn't change the historical values of these books. It's like saying if people would still worship Zeus and hate people because that we should burn all the traces of the greek mitology in the world. They are fondumental traces of the human past. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 4

It’s probably easier to just ban such things than to have them happen and then be watching over your back and tightening security because you aren’t sure when extremist followers of the “religion of peace” will decide to retaliate. 

• Like 1

Okay, but now have danish drag queens read it to kids

Edited by Take Me Apart
  • Haha 1

This sets a dangerous precedent and the political leaders should be ashamed.

• Like 8

Why do people burn mythology books? 

No, don't do that. That's part of history like all the greek and roman mythology, or the bible as well. 

I don't understand the point of book burnings either. It's pure provocation. I also take a critical view of these religious books, but in a democratic society we should resolve such conflicts differently.

Sorry, but no book, flag, or logo should be exempt from being burnt. Book burning is dumb, but it is a form of self expression. 

• Like 4

Going to jail for this is insane. As someone on the left I do appreciate that aspect of America’s free speech laws compared to Europe. This sort of authoritarian tendency is bad in any direction. I’m sure we would all agree if a similar law about burning the Bible passed in Mississippi that it would be crazy and fascist.

Edited by Beyonnaise
  • Like 5

Hoping that some countries will follow and pass law to ban LGBTQ+ people burnings 

Edited by violent desires

This creates a slippery slope. Religions should be protected, but do not let this be a catalyst for impeding on the rights of other communities and religions. I still believe that religion is incompatible with modern society. Wonder how some of my LGBTQIA+ Danes are feeling about this:katie:

I'm all for the end of religion, but burning a book seems like a simpleton way of trying to make a statement. Arguments, diplomacy etc is how this should be deal with. 

Further alienating people won't help.

I would find this counterproductive and a slippery slope, but the "make it a hate crime to call for the end of Israel" girlies told me it's fine to censor speech if it's a political view that offends a hard-line conservative interpretation of religion so who am I to disagree with this just-as-valid decision? :michael:

Edited by Communion
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, vale9001 said:

personally i think no book should be burned, including religious books.  Burning books is burning the memory of what we were, no idea of the future without a past.

You have to work to let democracy and progress increase without burning anything. A part of bigots using them to hate (they would try other things to hate if you don't change culture) doesn't change the historical values of these books. It's like saying if people would still worship Zeus and hate people because that we should burn all the traces of the greek mitology in the world. They are fondumental traces of the human past. 

I disagree. I think there's a difference between preserving old works for the sake of history and record-keeping, but we're talking about individuals being able to express themselves via the act of destroying an object that has brought trauma to them. 

I don't think that Quran should be banned or that they shouldn't teach about it at schools, it's definitely one of the most influential books in history and as such is worth talking about. I wouldn't agree with public libraries getting rid of it, but individuals should be able to express their disagreement as they see fit given how much pain religion has caused.

• Thanks 1

The burning of Qur'an usually does not end well so I am not opposed to this. Just lower the sentence, two years is too much. Has EU blocked all online radicalization?

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.