Tidal lays off over 10% of the workforce before the holidays

Wolf Alice

Off the heels of Spotify laying off 17% of its employees just before the holiday season, Tidal also lays off over 10% of theirs. Is this a sign of the music streaming-only services being unable to keep up with the increasing royalty payments due to increasing streaming consumption and legislative changes demanding that these services pay more to the creators? Or is it just corporate greed in an attempt to increase stock value and increase shareholder dividends? 

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/tidal-layoffs-10-percent-employees-1235825119/

Tidal is still a thing? :deadbanana4:

4 minutes ago, DeadInside said:

Aren't Beyonce and Jay-Z billionaires? :biblio: greedy 

It's not owned by Jay anymore, and Bey never did..... :rip:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, period sis said:

that user still reaching & finding ways to drag Bey is comical atp. :skull:

18 minutes ago, period sis said:

Jay sold off his stake but Bey, Madge, and Riri retained their  ownership becoming the second largest shareholders after Jack's Square (who owns 80%). It's rumoured that Jack is planning more layoffs before the holidays in his other companies too

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/04/jay-z-sells-majority-stake-in-tidal-music-streaming-service-to-jack-dorseys-square

Edited by Wolf Alice

How many people regularly use Tidal?

13 minutes ago, Wolf Alice said:

Jay sold off his stake but Bey, Madge, and Riri retained their  ownership becoming the second largest shareholders after Jack's Square (who owns 80%). It's rumoured that Jack is planning more layoffs before the holidays in his other companies too

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/04/jay-z-sells-majority-stake-in-tidal-music-streaming-service-to-jack-dorseys-square

What point are you trying to make? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 45seconds said:

What point are you trying to make? 

I'm just correcting their statement but also providing context that this is Jack's decision.

Edited by Wolf Alice

10% of total employees might just be 10 people 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Edited by Kasix

2 hours ago, Poxy said:

How many people regularly use Tidal?

I do and i prefer it to spotify

the algorithm is better for me

This was obviously gonna happen sooner or later. Why are people here shocked. I am not defending the company it's just that it was obvious from the start that once they reach certain size there is just so much they can do in terms of growing revenue. 10% even seems low. Your app is built. You don't need marketing bc everyone who uses streaming services knows about you. You don't create original content. Customer service is outsourced to India. What are so many people even doing day to day? 

There's no one I know IRL that uses TIDAL. So, I'm surprised that it still exists.

I hope they, at least, got severance pay to get them through the holidays.

16 hours ago, Wolf Alice said:

Or is it just corporate greed in an attempt to increase stock value and increase shareholder dividends

Of course this one

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.