South Korea government pushing for dog meat consumption ban, farmers protest it

Talento

231201-korea-dogs-mb-0710-167bc5.jpg

Earlier this month, government and ruling party officials agreed to introduce legislation by the year’s end that would ban the centuries-old practice. Individual lawmakers have submitted similar anti-dog meat bills in the past, but this would be the first time for the government to back such legislation.

About 200 farmers, restaurant owners and others involved in the dog meat industry gathered in Thursday’s rally. They chanted slogans, sang, raised their fists and took turns making speeches criticizing the government’s move. One protester said he would kill himself if the government and governing party move ahead with the legislation.

“We’ll fight. We’ll fight,” the protesters shouted. Some farmers brought dogs in cages on their trucks but were prevented from taking them to the protest site. A shoving match between some protesters and police officers occurred, with some farmers rushing to a street when a truck, apparently carrying dogs, approached.

231201-korea-dogs-mb-0711-30d0e4.jpg

Police detained three protesters, farmers said. Police said they could not immediately confirm the detentions.

Dog meat consumption is neither explicitly banned nor legalized in South Korea. But there have been calls to prohibit it over worries about South Korea’s international image and a growing public awareness of animal rights. World celebrities including American actress Kim Basinger and French actress Brigitte Bardot have called for a ban.

The bill pushed by the government and governing party would phase out the dog meat industry by 2027. It would provide financial support to farmers for dismantling their facilities and opening new businesses and offer vocational training and other benefits.

The anti-dog meat campaign in South Korea recently gathered new momentum as first lady Kim Keon Hee, a pet lover, repeatedly voiced her support for a ban. During Thursday’s rally, protesters made crude insults of Kim.

About 700,000 to 1 million dogs are slaughtered for consumption each year, a decline from several million 10 to 20 years ago, according to the association. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/south-korean-farmers-protest-proposed-anti-dog-meat-legislation-rcna127538

It’s almost like allowing meat consumption leads to all animals becoming exploitable. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I beg your pardon? Is that what was in my K-BBQ?

200.gif?cid=31ad6aa719dcp8ch8drhpxjnjh8d

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Talento said:

One protester said he would kill himself 

can’t wait

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

As much as I am against it being an animal lover, we have to respect their culture. In my opinion only Koreans should have a say on this matter. It seems like they are turning a tide which is good. It’s kind of hypocritical for us in the west to condemn eating dogs when we slaughter and eat millions of other animals too.

Edited by What_A_Mess
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

The SK government doing all things but ensure equal human rights and protections to appeal to the good graces of western countries.

14 minutes ago, What_A_Mess said:

As much as I am against it being an animal lover, we have to respect their culture. In my opinion only Koreans should have a say on this matter. It seems like they are turning a tide which is good. It’s kind of hypocritical for us in the west to condemn eating dogs when we slaughter and eat loads of other animals too.

We don’t have to respect cultures that abuse animals. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Good :clap3:SK is a rich country. They have more than enough meat alternatives. Western countries could also slowly replace meat products with meat alternatives. Animals are not machines. Animals have consciousness, animals have feelings, animals have families. Animals deserve rights, too.

• Like 5

Ban all animals, or ban none.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

It would provide financial support to farmers for dismantling their facilities and opening new businesses and offer vocational training and other benefits.

This is reasonable & should happen across all animal farming industries, including dairy. The humanitarian, environmental & animal benefits, far exceed the very temporary strain some businesses may experience. 

I wish this was more animal rights focused than optics driven, but any progress is progress. 

• Like 1

And here come the insane, extremist vegans who think banning all meat consumption is a possible solution. :bibliahh:

Only a very small population in east Asia practices this, correct? I don't see why a ban would be so bad if it's rarely practiced anymore. It's at least my understanding that this isn't a wide or important cultural thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

39 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

So us slaughtering millions of tons of animals after keeping them in appalling enclosures isn’t a form of abuse then? :coffee2:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

20 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

And here come the insane, extremist vegans who think banning all meat consumption is a possible solution. :bibliahh:

Only a very small population in east Asia practices this, correct? I don't see why a ban would be so bad if it's rarely practiced anymore. It's at least my understanding that this isn't a wide or important cultural thing.

Why is okay to eat a pig but not a dog? Pigs are more intelligent than dogs, and just as affectionate. 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Tropez said:

Why is okay to eat a pig but not a dog? Pigs are more intelligent than dogs, and just as affectionate. 

Because, it's common culture and practice. We've bred dogs to be hunting partners and livestock herders, we've domesticated pigs as a food source.

To reiterate, I'm all for animal welfare and having higher standards in the US and elsewhere. What I'm against is advocacy for banning all meat or other extremist views.

You have every right to not eat animal products. More power to you. But, do not tell ME I can't eat them.

No difference than the religious extremists:

"My religion says I can't eat that"

Okay.

"My religion says you can't eat that"

**** all the way off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Miss Show Business said:

Because, it's common culture and practice. We've bred dogs to be hunting partners and livestock herders, we've domesticated pigs as a food source.

To reiterate, I'm all for animal welfare and having higher standards in the US and elsewhere. What I'm against is advocacy for banning all meat or other extremist views.

You have every right to not eat animal products. More power to you. But, do not tell ME I can't eat them.

No difference than the religious extremists:

"My religion says I can't eat that"

Okay.

"My religion says you can't eat that"

**** all the way off.

But what does this have to do with Korea? How do you know they didn’t breed dogs for consumption too? 

So that brings me back. What difference is there between the consumption of a dog or a pig?

Shouldn't you be perfectly fine with eating dogs? Cats? Horses? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

58 minutes ago, What_A_Mess said:

So us slaughtering millions of tons of animals after keeping them in appalling enclosures isn’t a form of abuse then? :coffee2:

Of course it is. I have made multiple threads condemning this as well as animal testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Exactly. All cultures are allowed to be critized and should be because no culture is safe from negative parts.

And this whataboutism needs to stop because it leads to nothing and it is the lamest, laziest argument.

As much as that I hate the idea that people eat dogs :rip: but it's legal there and is the source of income of many families, what do they expect to happen? They will of course do everything they can to defend their income. And it's either you ban all meat sources. Picking and choosing isn't it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I didn't know that South Korea is still following China's way of dog meat consumption :biblio:

Glad to see the government is taking action to ban it. :clap3:

One protester said he would kill himself if the government and governing party move ahead with the legislation.

oprah-well-hello-lets-celebrate-that.gif

• Thumbs Down 3

2 minutes ago, C-Amber said:

As much as that I hate the idea that people eat dogs :rip: but it's legal there and is the source of income of many families, what do they expect to happen? They will of course do everything they can to defend their income. And it's either you ban all meat sources. Picking and choosing isn't it.

By this logic we’d never ban child labor or any other horrible practice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

By this logic we’d never ban child labor or any other horrible practice. 

What child labor had to do with eating animal meet??? :rip:

59 minutes ago, Tropez said:

But what does this have to do with Korea? How do you know they didn’t breed dogs for consumption too? 

So that brings me back. What difference is there between the consumption of a dog or a pig?

Shouldn't you be perfectly fine with eating dogs? Cats? Horses? 

Let's bullet point this out so it's very clear.

• Pork has been raised and domesticated for slaughter as a food source for centuries. It's a commonly accepted cultural practice and food source.

• Dogs, cats, horses, and other similar domesticated animals, have not been traditionally raised as slaughter for a food source. They have been domesticated for companionship and in other cases act as farmhands and hunters (like many dog breeds.) It would not be socially or culturally seen as acceptable in western culture to consume these animals.

That's it. The end.

Whether you agree or not doesn't matter. Those are the facts and they aren't going to change because of extremist vegan agendas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.