U.S. youth (10-24) suicide rate skyrocketed 62% from 2007 to 2021

Espresso

yes. social medias, violence, harassment, strong anxiety, loneliness, no love only sex, excessive consumption, junkfood, seeing 24/7 bad news about the world, Drug shortages, lack of health professionals, makes you depressed. And it's part of our era.

Edited by MoonGoodandHappy
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, MoonGoodandHappy said:

only sex

sometimes not even that

Welp I guess it’s true, the smartphone and social media has ruined our lives. :cm:

This is incredible sad. I barely survived my teenage suicide ideation years. :sad:

but it’s insane that even 10 year olds are dealing with this level of depression now

The world keeps getting worse and nobody in power is doing anything to actively change it, is this really surprising?

• Like 2

It's really bad when you look into the details. 

Here's 2021-2022 data:

Suicide Data and Statistics | Suicide | CDC

In raw numbers, white men commit the vast majority of suicide in the US. 

I also want to point out, men make the vast majority of high school drop outs each year, and the raw # of young men who enroll in college / university goes down every year.

Something is happening to the young men of America. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dula Peep said:

Welp I guess it’s true, the smartphone and social media has ruined our lives. :cm:

well it really has.  But not even social media like early Facebook and MySpace, but this new TikTok/shorts/reels era we're living in where politics and hatred being spread are the norm.  I mean, just look at Twitter/IG/TikTok comments.  It's literally all hate.  Didn't use to be like that when Facebook just came out.  

it really all started with Trump too, cuz I don't remember it being this bad during the Obama years.  There were no 60 sec videos (or less) being the norm tho. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hey Dude said:

It's really bad when you look into the details. 

Here's 2021-2022 data:

Suicide Data and Statistics | Suicide | CDC

In raw numbers, white men commit the vast majority of suicide in the US. 

I also want to point out, men make the vast majority of high school drop outs each year, and the raw # of young men who enroll in college / university goes down every year.

Something is happening to the young men of America. 

Young men are constantly told they’re wrong and future r***** by the left, and then scooped up and brainwashed by the right. Of course they’re suicidal. 

Edited by barbiegrande
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

While I don't see the issue as monolithic, I definitely primarily attribute much of it to social media being the timing of it and it's rise to prominence around this time. Even for mature and fully developed adults it can be bad for your health let alone kids. 

I already know so many are going to jump to blaming politicians, the state of the economy, or whatever fits their agenda (and some of those aspects do play parts). But America has faced many economic hardships before, had rough politics, and things have sucked. What is really going to hurt you and you can't convince me otherwise is constantly taking in vast amounts of negative information your brain is not meant to process in a healthy way at all times. Living in a media obsessed world that purposefully seeks to make you angry and sad to drive engagement when often a lot of the sadness or negativity will have 0 actual effect on you. An increasingly socially isolated world with communications being primarily more digital and lacking relationships. Lacking physical health with no need to go places as much anymore. Its common sense. Your body isn't meant to live that way.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Late stage capitalism 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 12/6/2023 at 7:05 PM, If U Seek Amy said:

While I don't see the issue as monolithic, I definitely primarily attribute much of it to social media being the timing of it and it's rise to prominence around this time. Even for mature and fully developed adults it can be bad for your health let alone kids. 

I already know so many are going to jump to blaming politicians, the state of the economy, or whatever fits their agenda (and some of those aspects do play parts). But America has faced many economic hardships before, had rough politics, and things have sucked. What is really going to hurt you and you can't convince me otherwise is constantly taking in vast amounts of negative information your brain is not meant to process in a healthy way at all times. Living in a media obsessed world that purposefully seeks to make you angry and sad to drive engagement when often a lot of the sadness or negativity will have 0 actual effect on you. An increasingly socially isolated world with communications being primarily more digital and lacking relationships. Lacking physical health with no need to go places as much anymore. Its common sense. Your body isn't meant to live that way.

Bullshit and oversimplification ill expand leter gotta go

2 hours ago, s-60staliniec said:

Bullshit and oversimplification ill expand leter gotta go

Someone is online too much :laugh:

• Haha 1

Americans keep over-medicating and legalizing harmful drugs (weed) as a way to temporarily hide their problems. 

2 hours ago, If U Seek Amy said:

Someone is online too much :laugh:

maybe, definitly not on social media i dont use any.

Ill elabroeta now, 

heres my bs

Social media may be a contributing factor actual they definetly are one of the reasoons BUTT they are not the main one uno- come on its obvious theyr not why do we even talk about it ,

dos- They(mostly) dont create any new problems they amplify the already existing ones

"What is really going to hurt you and you can't convince me otherwise is constantly taking in vast amounts of negative information your brain is not meant to process in a healthy way at all times."- my sitster in christ thats just reality yk these things happend its not social media bad because they give you informations its that reality is insuferable 

your point makes as much sens as sombody blaming glasses for making them depresed becasue they se ugly things.

"Living in a media obsessed world that purposefully seeks to make you angry and sad to drive engagement when often a lot of the sadness or negativity will have 0 actual effect on you".- Valid poin but your criticisng the media not social media. 

besides the part with 0 efects on you- oversimplifiacation

"An increasingly socially isolated world with communications being primarily more digital and lacking relationships."-factualy incorect

new forms of comunication dont replace face ro face interactions. Its just more interactiom. They create new ones. its not a replacment. Data and ******* walking outside clearly show this. its a lie some boomer made up once that caught on and were repeated so many times no one questions it, its not common sens its just bs.

"physical health with no need to go places as much anymore." people still need and want to go places there is just not much places to go" especialy outside big cities

also phisical health is at one of the highest rn idk what are talking about.

"Your body isn't meant to live that way." yes are bodys aren't meant to live this way but we live this way because of capitalims not because of social media.

Anyway what you wrote is 50% bulshit 50% right but you blame the wrong thing for it.

Its captalism not social Media 

precisly capitalism in its late stages.

First let me explain what late stage capitalism is.  

capitalims has to end some day its just a part of this system that its inevitible collapse it cant exist innfinetly because of its nature  (and its not some marxist mumbluing it was recognized written about by capitalist before capitalism was even called capitalism ill save you the history lesson altho i could expand if you want )

now some economist distinguishe 3 stages of capitalims

1 beggining stage where capitalism is just implemented 

2 Fully developed capitalims (self explenatory)

3 late stage capitalims stage where capitals slowly stops growing 

ill go into more datail now capitalism is based on constant economic progres think about world economy like a mine it  only works as long as it can mine more ore when it runs out of ore it can no longer function. Now just like ore our resources are limited thus when we use up all of the available resources there is no more things to make then the only way to make money is having money thus rich get richer and richer and poor get poorer and poorer until thay can no longer afford to live and realize there is more of them than the rich so the revolt and its either way comunism anarchy or capitalism all over again after that (or we invent a new system entierly) 

so late stage capitalism begins when profits from production start going down and the gap betwen social classes increases thats where we are now 

how this impacts our every day life is basicly rich cutting costs however they can so:

- worse education

-less state funded stuff shitier cities"with no need to go places as much anymore. Its common sense." ( as i said people still want to go places they cant) - so now there are no theater and cinemas cause recording movies and selling them online is cheaper no public librarys cause they dont create profit no parks -cause no profit from planting trees and making side walks, no public transport cause cars make the rich more money ( so teens practicly cant even go places they want to be) no concerts no public events(cause money)

[btw just to make sure im not misunderstood know this thing still exist just their number is decresing and they get pricier and more exclusive until theyr not avilable tothe poor entierly]

-this one is just capitlaism not even late stage specificly but the reason media are the way they are is more engadment more moneney more emotions especialy negative ones - more engadment 

-health decline because overwoking your self to make a living worse conditions because compnies have so much power (and under capitalism mmoney =power) you cant do **** and just have to acpet their demands also private health care cause it makes profit so you got"Lacking physical health " expalined so all thing you listed are caused by capitalism but i can even add more

-All the wars were seing are caused by capitalism (or if not caused by capitalism they can keep going because of ir because  they also make profit ex. gaza)

-racism(in the present) also caused by capitalims but i would need a post as long as this to explain it 

-countries even existing- Capitalism/authoritharism and lust for power
-Homofobia (same case as racism)

poverty and rising living cost- obvisly capitalismm

democracy ******* it slef over- also capitalism but i would need a ******* 2000thousand worlds essey to explain this 

Sociall media being they wat their are- Capitalims I'll even explain it in some more deatail more more emotion more engadment egadgment more time on app more time on app more ads seen more ads seen more money so just like the media besides Add an social campaigns are funded with money and capitalism "choses" who has that money 

So yech baisicly all our problmes lead back to capitalims so can we just revolt now before the rest of our resources is wasted more harm done and envirioment completly destroyed pls

sorry for the long post 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Take Me Apart said:

Americans keep over-medicating and legalizing harmful drugs (weed) as a way to temporarily hide their problems. 

nah drug usage didnt increase its legalization just makes less people go to jails weed is not rl harmfull its onlly harmfull for undevelped minds (children) and if its smoke because of the smoke but if consumed difrrent way its almost harmless besides its not just amerincans who do this  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 1:40 PM, barbiegrande said:

Young men are constantly told they’re wrong and future r***** by the left, and then scooped up and brainwashed by the right. Of course they’re suicidal. 

their told that because its true under capitalism and its just reality my guy and its not just man its everybody

social media impact. 

people compare their lives to others and goals and ambitions have been completely destroyed.

A lot of the issues teens face are very individualistic. Yes there issues outta of there hands but what exactly can they do an individual level in order to prevent this? Are they addicted to social media and online 5-8 hours a day? Are they victim of cyber bullying? Are they eating healthy? Exercising? Are they talking to a therapist? Parents? Friends? Etc? These are things they can handle themselves. Taking 10 pills a day isn’t going to help. Where are the parents? Are they Monitoring the internet usage? Who are the kids social circle? What’s going on in there kids lives etc. 

I think it's social media revealing how the wealthy, successful and beautiful live their lives and seeing it every day comparing to your own; and that plus having two huge economic crises in the span of 15 years (2008 and COVID till the present) that have destroyed the standard of living and hopes for the future of my generation.

As someone who graduated high school in 2021, I'm not surprised

13 hours ago, s-60staliniec said:

nah drug usage didnt increase its legalization just makes less people go to jails weed is not rl harmfull its onlly harmfull for undevelped minds (children) and if its smoke because of the smoke but if consumed difrrent way its almost harmless besides its not just amerincans who do this  

Overall Weed has the potential to worsen all mental conditions including anxiety and depression. And let’s not forget that it can trigger Schizophrenia and/or Psychosis in people under 25 with no previous history of mental illness, all it takes is an unknown predisposition to these conditions, it is absolutely dangerous and mind altering drugs shouldn’t be handed out like candy

12 hours ago, Take Me Apart said:

Overall Weed has the potential to worsen all mental conditions including anxiety and depression. And let’s not forget that it can trigger Schizophrenia and/or Psychosis in people under 25 with no previous history of mental illness, all it takes is an unknown predisposition to these conditions, it is absolutely dangerous and mind altering drugs shouldn’t be handed out like candy

1first of all i am not arguing that weed's healthy idk why its the only thing you took out of my reply.

2Weed useage didnt increase after its realization( its hard to acuratly measure cause yk it was illegal before so there is almost no data" the only thing legalization of weed changed is the number of people in jail for drug posesion 

also since legal weed is under restriction its pure weed was unpure when sold on the strets with no restriction( i mean sanitary and purity restrictions) it was laced with hard drugs cause its not very adictive on its own so dealers laced it to get more loyal customers and was mixed with other cheaper herbs to cut down cost when scientis tasted the samples of drugs confiscated by police the weed wasn even majorly weed so people were just taking radnom **** 

legalizatiion of drugs doesnt icrease their usage drugs were always used by humans like literaly always if  they were available they were used deligalzing them just puts normal regualr people in jail for somehting that isnt even moraly wrong. and only harms them 

3"Overall Weed has the potential to worsen all mental conditions including anxiety and depression." thats true but taken out of contecst what i mean is yes it can but ive also seen studies(multiple ones) sugesting weed can be used to heal both of those conditions, besides its not like its special some ******* antibiotics can do the same so can multiple pain killers. 

4"And let’s not forget that it can trigger Schizophrenia and/or Psychosis in people under 25 with no previous history of mental illness," so can most meds its not rare its not likely it so unlikly in fakt its irrelecant nuts can kill you to you can get alergic to them at any time of your life randomly shoud they be illegal to?

And let’s not forget that it can trigger Schizophrenia and/or Psychosis in people under 25 with no previous history of mental illness,- sounds awfully simmular to allergys so should we  ban anything thatts potentialy alergic

it is absolutely dangerous and mind altering-my brtoher in christ almost every effing subsatance is mind altering its not  weed exclusiv 

drugs shouldn’t be handed out like candy- they arent in fact since its legalized you need an id to buy them, so its actaly a pro legalization argument 

i dont realy carre about arguing about weed any longer i rl just wanted to say theres no coralatio betwen weed usage and depresion rates 

i mean depresion rates are skyrocketing weed usage is kinda at the same level still just compere the weed consumption graph with depresion rates graph they have nothing in commonn 

On 12/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, Take Me Apart said:

On 12/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, s-60staliniec said:

Gen Z are actually likely to smoke weed less frequently than Millennials.

relbDBS.png

https://newfrontierdata.com/cannabis-insights/the-kids-are-alright-tobacco-alcohol-and-cannabis-use-among-gen-z/

As the 2nd user said, legalization largely doesn't majorly impact rates of usage - it just changes rates at which people are incarcerated for having weed.

• Thanks 1

It definitely has something to do with social media and negative news. I stopped reading political news because it made me so aggressive and depressed all the time. Now I'm thinking about blocking politics completely and hiding in my bubble. The world is just too much at the moment. The hatred, the populism, the multiple crises.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.