Is the 1989 Re-Recordings era Underwhelming?

AvadaKedavra

I know I might sound very entitled after all the Grand Amazing content:heart: Tay has given us in these last 4 years, but...

I can't believe she didn't shoot music videos for this era, which was her biggest and most iconic. Red had two :emofish:
Also, there was hardly any promotion or anything super special.
1989 is my favorite Taylor album and the first one i listened in full from her, and I'm honestly disappointed.
Where's the Circus and Frenzy :chick3:
I thought these re-recordings would be a full-on spectacle and chart domination :lakitu:
Where all the Max Martin songs too. Why only Jack Antonoff.  :dancehall3:

Are you shocked like me?  and confused?
Why is Taylor treating her most sophisticated album this bad :gaycat3:
Mom what is happenin :sosad::grump:

taylor_swift___1989__alternative_album_cover__by_marilyncola_dcwo39n-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.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.7WBkZRIemVchgZmZeGJlI_dspXEB1PfDpDh0MKoOsCo

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Outside of the charts and numbers, even Speak Now TV is more eventful :toofunny2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes. 1989 is a modern classic and she re-recorded it on the cheap. Really wanted some reimagined version of Style in particular but didn’t get it.

• Like 7

RED is her magnum opus, so she treated it accordingly. Poor others!

• Like 1

Even she knows it doesn't touch the original with the Style and Blank Space remakes being huge downgrades

But releasing the album is 90% of it, everything else is just a bonus

she just doesn’t have time to fill stuff between touring and Travis, and as we saw with the karma/I can see you video, what could an MV really do when it only brought in a few dozen million views anyway lol.

All her rerecordings are underwhelming. She sounds far away for some reason.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

32 minutes ago, perpetual novice said:

Yes. 1989 is a modern classic and she re-recorded it on the cheap. Really wanted some reimagined version of Style in particular but didn’t get it.

I agree.

Is there a reason she couldn't have brought in Max for his tracks? Those tracks seem to suffer the worst, especially Style. Plus, I saw someone on I think TikTok point out technical errors left on the tracks.

It's sad as I enjoyed most of the rerecordings and her improved vocals, but the 1989 one was a disappointment compared to the others, IMO.

The 1989 rerecordings in general are underwhelming, karaoke'd versions of the original songs.

As far as the era itself, I'm actually thankful she's not doing too much.

We need this rerecording era over with, especially reputation TV since we know some of the original producers won't be involved.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks yll for your comments :giraffe:

11 minutes ago, Taeyong said:

The 1989 rerecordings in general are underwhelming, karaoke'd versions of the original songs.

As far as the era itself, I'm actually thankful she's not doing too much.

We need this rerecording era over with, especially reputation TV since we know some of the original producers won't be involved.

Sometimes I wonder if she's aware of the negative reviews of Speak Now-1989, and how those versions weren't as strong as the originals,
so, she's highly disappointed.
Now she just wants to release the re-recordings super quickly to put an end to all of this :gaycat6:

I still have faith that maybe next year, when she's more free, she'll give us a video or do something special for this era :eli:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

Yes, if I was involved with putting out a major rerecording I'd pull out ALL the tricks, hire Beck's engineering/mixing team for a pristine audiophile recording AND have Rick Rubin for exec. Prod to ensure the vocals aren't butchered, plan out a COMPREHENSIVE boxset, nice set of remixes, great vinyl quality, focus on producing at least 1 quality af MV for the main vault single e.t.c.

Edited by theoghon
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, thisbirdhasflown said:

All her rerecordings are underwhelming. She sounds far away for some reason.

They’re a clear cash grab. She could have done a lot with them but they’re always so bland. But I guess as long as her fans love it 

Edited by Gaia
  • Like 1

I think she’s over the re-recording era and just trying to push it along :deadbanana2:. If she attempted promo on 1989tv it would drag so long

• Haha 4

• ATRL Moderator
59 minutes ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Why is Taylor treating her most sophisticated album this bad

spacer.png

But yeah, I agree. No music videos, no fun promo, nothing. But to be fair, I think the vault tracks are the weakest of all the TVs, so I don't mind that much that she's not putting much effort into the era.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

She did nothing for Fearless TV because she thought the process wasn't going to be that big numbers wise. 

Then with RED TV she saw the potential it had and ATW gave her the chance to sneak into film direction.

With Speak Now she did another MV but she realized that the re-recordings were a big deal for one week, then the songs decline fast because they are old and everybody knows them already.

So for 1989 she maximized first week sales and that's it, with Cruel Summer there is no point in pushing anything else.

Reputation has a very specific and powerful iconography so maybe it will have a MV again, but nothing after the first week.

These are not eras, there is nothing to discuss once you've bought the physicals and listened to the bonus tracks. It's like a deluxe version.

And quality wise, for 99% of the people the songs sound the same as the originals, so irrelevant conversation.

Edited by Bonicap

She already gave y’all like 4 albums this year, a movie, and is on a massive tour idk what y’all expect she already did this era in 2014

The main reason of the re-recordings wasn't to make an era over again, it was always about the money. Now she can license those songs to big companies and getting those big checks instead of Big Machine :giraffe:

Edited by BrokenMachine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i think she’s trying to avoid overexposure hence her also doing very little with speak now

• Like 1

kinda dissapointed with this too, bc 1989 TV is actually very good imo, and my fav from the re-records. The lack of mvs doesn't bother me, bc her mvs haven't been great, but I miss the interviews! They seem to be smaller in number each era. At least it did well on the charts right? Hoping she gets her mass-promoting ass out for TS11 :giraffe:

Edited by SLUTTVFTV

It’s probably her most underwhelming TV. 

SN>Red>>Fearless>>1989

tbh I don't understand why there's no music video for her most anticipated rerecord :cm: 

but hopefully she's just saving the real event for rep TV

Edited by Pink Whitney
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.