Putin orders Russian women to have 'eight or more' children

Horizon Flame

As if caring for 8 children is cheap or something. :toofunny3:

• Like 1

His statement is far from the truth anyway. Russia has one of the least fertility rates in the world. Ranked 171st among all countries. 

The Russian government has tried several tactics to raise their birth rate over the years and none of them have really worked. I know Putin is broadly popular, but I'm not sure if this will have any actual impact. Honestly, too many young men at the right age to start a family have died in Ukraine, and the generous tax breaks didn't work either, and the average working class Russian family doesn't make enough money to provide for that many kids. Russia is in better shape than a lot of the developed world regarding the retired to working people ratio issue that comes from a collapsed birth rate (pensions have to be paid from the taxes on people working, so the fewer people working means the fewer pensions that can be supported) since Russians have atrociously short lifespans due to alcoholism and other deaths of despair. The other issues with a collapsed birthrate still apply to the Russians, but they're spared some of the immediate financial issues that will be faced by Germany, Italy, and China among others. I doubt this will work alone (maybe a few thousand women will have children earlier than they were planning, but that's a negligible boost), but I would put Russia at the top of the list of countries that would legally mandate women to have children, and this may be a precursor to a policy of that nature. 

Edited by wastedpotential

That's what all right-wingers want. Of course, right-wingers in the West don't say that openly. All right-wingers believe in old-fashioned gender roles, many believe in ethnonationalism, are against feminism and LGBT rights. I'm glad that the world is changing and that more and more women are going their own way.

Not going to happen :rip:

The average salary in Russia is like $400 at this point. Good luck feeding those 8 kids that he wants from each Russian woman

How about saving young men instead of throwing them to die every couple of decades? How about solving the housing crisis with 3 generations living in one small apartment? Men drink and do drugs from hopelessness about the future. Putin just stole the Russian future for the next 2 decades at least

• Thanks 3

Putin messing with women isn't going to end well as he already has enraged wives of the mobilized men expressing their dissatisfaction with him, and if they fail to silence them with money then it might spread and lead to some kind of unrest, which he absolutely can't afford.

It's always telling that the leader of a country must INSIST women have children with the men there, it's almost like when women feel unsafe and have laws that ensure their discomfort and unsafe living conditions, childbearing is not an interest to them.

Yeah, good luck with that. The Russian diaspora and one of the lowest birth ratios in the world will keep happening.

quick, everybody stream this feminist Russian bop :jonny6:

It's rather telling that someone in a position such as his has the gall to tell his subjects something so clear-cut like this. No sugar-coating, just straight to the point. :rip:

I hope it does not resonate with the russian people though and they tell him to **** off. :giraffe:

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.